Houston Mattress Factory vs. Texas Mattress Makers vs. Tempurpedic

Hi, my wife and I are in search of a new mattress and have found this site incredibly useful during our search. Before finding this site we were set on getting a Tempurpedic (this is the exact one http://m.tempurpedic.com/mattresses/cloud-collection/tempur-cloud-supreme-breeze) as we found it to be the most comfortable. However, after reading this site we learned we had some great options right here in Houston in Houston Mattress Factory and Texas Mattress Makers.

Houston Mattress Factory

We really like the ability that they can make a mattress however you like it and will remake it for free whenever you like even if that is 10 years down the line. They also really know their stuff and were passionate about what they did. Downside was the mattress was covered in plastic so a bit harder to get a feel for it.

Texas Mattress Makers

This place had a really comfortable mattress with a gel topper that we liked. Downside was that it wasn’t customizable like Houston Mattress Factory and once you purchased it they didn’t seem to have the same customer service that HMF had.

Tempurpedic

This is the most comfortable mattress we laid on and our hope is we can figure out how to get one built by HMF that replicates the feel. It’s a bit of a challenge to get through the marketing fluff and figure out if you are getting anything special with the purchase of a Tempurpedic over one of the brands listed above. My thought is no but is that accurate? Would you expect HMF to use materials that are of equal or better quality?

At the end of the day a mattress from HMF or TMM will cost about $2k and the Tempurpedic is about $4k. While value is important I wouldn’t say it is the most important consideration in our purchase. Primarily we want a really comfortable mattress that will last. Is there any reason to pick a Tempurpedic over HMF or TMM (really HMF as that is how we are currently leaning).

Thanks

Hi Lowndes,

Just for the sake of reference … the materials in the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze are as follows …

Quilt
Tempur-Breeze & Microsuede
100% Polyester

Comfort Layers
2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer 4.1 LB
2" TEMPUR Support Layer 5.3 LB

Support System
Dual Airflow System
3.5" Airflow Base layer 2.2lb
3.5" Airflow Base layer 2.2lb

[quote]Houston Mattress Factory

We really like the ability that they can make a mattress however you like it and will remake it for free whenever you like even if that is 10 years down the line. They also really know their stuff and were passionate about what they did. Downside was the mattress was covered in plastic so a bit harder to get a feel for it.[/quote]

There have been several people on the forum that have mentioned the plastic covering that they use on their mattress and I agree it would make it more difficult to test their mattresses for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because the plastic will affect the feel and performance and the contouring of the memory foam underneath it.

[quote]Texas Mattress Makers

This place had a really comfortable mattress with a gel topper that we liked. Downside was that it wasn’t customizable like Houston Mattress Factory and once you purchased it they didn’t seem to have the same customer service that HMF had.[/quote]

Their return policy is listed here and while they mention that they do accept returns they don’t have a specific trial period and only mention that they will come up with a solution that will make you comfortable.

[quote]Tempurpedic

This is the most comfortable mattress we laid on and our hope is we can figure out how to get one built by HMF that replicates the feel. It’s a bit of a challenge to get through the marketing fluff and figure out if you are getting anything special with the purchase of a Tempurpedic over one of the brands listed above. My thought is no but is that accurate? Would you expect HMF to use materials that are of equal or better quality?

At the end of the day a mattress from HMF or TMM will cost about $2k and the Tempurpedic is about $4k. While value is important I wouldn’t say it is the most important consideration in our purchase. Primarily we want a really comfortable mattress that will last. Is there any reason to pick a Tempurpedic over HMF or TMM (really HMF as that is how we are currently leaning).[/quote]

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses but outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is all about how well you will sleep, the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability (which is all about how long you will sleep well) and in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Compared to many mattresses made by smaller manufacturers … there is nothing special about Tempurpedic outside of their name recognition and the amount of advertising they do. You can see some of my general thoughts about Tempurpedic in post #10 here and the posts it links to and while for the most part they do use good quality materials … for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best value range compared to many other similar mattresses that use the same or similar quality materials (or sometimes better quality) and are in much lower price ranges.

You are certainly looking at some good quality choices and two of them (excluding Tempurpedic) would be good value choices as well.

Phoenix