How 2 Urban Matress mattresses compare to one from Denver Mattress

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve read the posts that you recommend before buying a mattress and others you’ve recommended, but I can’t wrap my mind around some of the information.

I bought a
Denver Aspen Plush
Latex over coils
Layers:

• Quilt Layers:
    • Luxurious Knit Ticking
    • 1" Anti-Microbial Super-Soft EF Foam
    • 1 1/2" Anti-Microbial 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
    • Inherent Rayon Fire Barrier
  • Comfort Layers:
    • 3" of 100% Natural HeveaPUR™
    • 1" of 2lb Density HR EF Foam
  • Support System:
    • B.O.S.S.™ (Balanced Orthopedic Sleep System)
    • Coil Density: 1147 Alternating Checkerboard Individually Wrapped Coils
    • 15.5 Gauge Tempered Steel

In the past I’ve generally owned traditional coil beds. I am finding this one a bit soft. I don’t feel much support, like maybe the comfort layer is too thick. It’s also a little “hammocky” - with a valley rather than a gully -like if I had something on the bed it would roll toward my body. (That’s actually happened with my iphone, which started on the edge of the bed and ended up under me.)

I’ve been looking at mattresses at Urban Mattress, and they pointed me to the 2 below. I was wondering how they compare to the Denver Aspen in the characteristics that bother me. One of them is a coil bed, because I wonder if I should go back to coil since I don’t like the sunken valley feel of foam — ?

Ambience Luxury Firm
Latex over Foam
Firmness: Medium
Layers:

• FR fiber
  • 2 pieces 7/8" hypersoft
  • 1" graphite latex
  • 1.75" ???
  • 2 x 1.75" topper 23 ILD
  • 1.75" firm topper
  • 3.5" convoluted base foam
  • 7/8" super firm base foam

Lumina Spirit
Latex over coils
firmness: medium
Layers:

• 1/2" FR fiber
  • 2 pieces 7/8 hypersoft
  • 1-3/4" firm foam - 40 ILD
  • 1/2" gel-infused visco & latex-zoned foam ???
  • 800 pocketed coil
  • 1" HD base foam
  • adjustable foam-encased rails

Thanks for your help!

Hi Aravaca,

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for anyone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Again your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience is the only way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP but assuming that you aren’t in an unusually high weight range then there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in this mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress. Of course the durability of a mattress is a completely separate issue from the suitability of a mattress and based on your comments it certainly seems that you chose a mattress that was too soft to keep you in good alignment.

Again … there is no way for me to know how a mattress will feel or perform for someone else or how it will compare to another mattress because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Unfortunately the information they provided and that you posted for both of the mattresses you are considering are very incomplete (they are missing the density of the foam layers) and don’t include the information that I would need to make any meaningful comments about either mattress. If you can find out all the information listed in this article and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in both mattresses but if for any reason a retailer or manufacturer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with the information you need about the quality/density of the materials in a mattress to be able to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses … then I would walk away because it would be a very risky purchase.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix