How can I find today's version of the mattress I've got?

I’m new to this website and have only been reading posts for a little while. I’m about to ask what might be a naive question. My mattress is about 10 years old and I’m presently shopping for a new one. I’ve been very happy with the one I’ve had. All I know about it is that It’s a Sterns & Foster “Derby LTD Plush.” I have no idea about the construction or quality of it; all I know is that it’s been very comfortable. How can I go about finding a good quality mattress and foundation at a good price that is along the lines of this Sterns & Foster? Thanks!

Hi CindyJ,

There’s no such thing as “naive questions” … only questions where someone doesn’t know the answer :slight_smile:

The Stearns & Foster mattresses from 10 years ago don’t exist any longer and unfortunately there really isn’t any way to “match” it to another mattress they make without knowing what was inside it or though personal testing of mattresses so your body can tell you what feels similar to you. They also don’t make double sided mattresses any more (although many smaller manufacturers still do).

I would also suggest that you avoid Stearns & Foster completely because most of them now use lower quality materials than comparable mattresses made by smaller independent or local manufacturers and even the ones that don’t are poor value. There are many posts all over the internet and on this forum from people who purchases a S&F only to find that the lower quality foam in the upper layers of the mattress has softened and compressed leading to the loss of comfort and support in only 3 or 4 years and this isn’t covered by their warranty. They are not a good choice compared to many other better options you have available.

The first place I would start is to read the post that is linked in my signature at the bottom of all my posts along with the information in the links inside it.

Once you have some basic information … it’s always more important at the beginning to identify the better retailers and manufacturers in your area who have more knowledgeable and experienced salespeople who are more interested in educating and guiding you and giving you more meaningful information about their mattresses than they are in their commissions or profit margins or telling you their latest marketing story … and then start to look at mattresses.

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply. Since posting my original inquiry I’ve been reading through the website and I’m finding myself positively overwhelmed by the number of variables that go into choosing the best mattress for me. It’s as though I wish I could hire a mattress consultant who could narrow the field to three, which I could then try out and make a decision. Is there a place on the website where I can narrow the field of possibilities by entering certain information? For example, I’m a side sleeper; I prefer a coil-type mattress rather than all foam; I like a fair amount of firmness with just a little “spring.” Maybe my question really is, where in my area (Zip Code 19382 - southeastern PA/northern DE) can I find a mattress dealer who can help me choose wisely? Thanks!

Hi CindyJ,

I certainly understand that all the information on the forum especially can be overwhelming. Unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can input someone’s “specs” and come up with the best mattress. There are just too many variables involved. There are a few manufacturers that are working on something like this but they tend to deal with one material only (such as a particular type of latex) which limits the variables involved but even here there are many possible variations and combinations that may be suitable for different people with similar weights and sleeping positions.

This is the best way I know to bypass the need to become an “expert” yourself by gathering some basic information and then connecting with people who already know what you would otherwise need to learn. This is the reason behind the steps and links to information that is in the post that is linked at the bottom of every post I make. If you follow these steps you will dramatically increase the odds of finding most suitable mattress for your needs and preferences that also has the best possible quality and value.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of near West Chester, PA are listed in post #2 here.

Hope this helps to “bypass” the information overload. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks so much. One of the places recommended, Verlo, is only a few minutes from where I live, and there’s another place within a half-hour or so, so I feel like at least there are places for me to go where I can become an informed consumer. Maybe the task of mattress shopping doesn’t have to be so daunting after all. Thanks, again!