How do I decipher my shopping experience?

I visited The Sleep Store in Bellevue, WA and eventually found a combination of layers that felt great! The problem is that I can’t be sure of the foam densities and how they compare to online sources.

What I loved:

• Top layer - Savvy Rest Vitality Topper - 3" of “soft” natural Talalay
  • Mid/Base[ layer - Nature’s Embrace Tempo 85 mattress

1" wool in stretch bamboo cover
    3" “medium” natural Dunlop
    3" “firm” natural Dunlop

What I hated:

• Savvy Rest mattress covers - these had very little give/stretch and created pressure points
  • Prices

I’m 5’ 11" and 190 lbs. I also have back pain which is why I need a great mattress. Is there any way to decipher the standard firmness levels for these layers? I was also extremely impressed with just how important the cover is. How can I tell what I’m getting in an online purchase?

I’m willing to spend a lot for a good value. But I think the $4000 I was quoted for this setup is just ridiculous. Any suggestions on what resource would be a good fit for my needs is appreciated.

Hi R0CKnU,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The “soft” Talalay latex used by Savvy Rest is 100% NR from Radium and that would be in the 15-20 ILD range. This is Cradle to Cradle GOLD certified Talalay.

The Nature’s Embrace – Tempo mattress that you described uses 100% NR GOLS-certified Dunlop latex. The “medium” layer is 85 kgM3, or about 5.3 lb. density, which is usually in the mid-30s for ILD. The "firm layer is 95kgM3, or about 5.92 Lb. density, which could be in the mid-40s for ILD.

When attempting to compare what you tried in person to an online manufacturer’s offering, be sure to let them know exactly what you tried in-store, as these manufacturers should be familiar with the products of many of these brands and they would be best at comparing what they are able to offer you to what you liked in-store. The site members listed in post #21 here are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices and comparisons. There are a wide range of latex mattresses and toppers included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

I’m wondering if you have the two Savvy Rest toppers confused. The Vitality uses a stretch covering that is quite flexible, and the Harmony uses the stiffer cotton ticking quilted with wool and a backing (which does soften a bit over time but is still a stiffer covering). You are correct that the covering certainly does make a difference in the overall feel of the product, especially the covering in the uppermost layers of any mattress. When ordering any topper, you can request that you desire a covering that has more of a “stretch-knit feel”, as opposed to a “starchy/boardy” feel.

While the quality of the componentry in the mattress you tested is certainly quite high, as you mentioned it certainly falls into a bit of a “higher-end” price range, and you may be able to find some options online that provide a bit better value for the same or very similar products. You can make “value” comparisons between mattresses based on suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well) which in this case would be comparable since they are all latex mattresses, along with all the other parts (including pricing) of your personal value equation that are most important to you. The link to the site members I listed earlier would be a good place to consider starting with your online comparisons.

I’ll be interested in learning about what you decide to do.

Phoenix

I feel very welcome indeed! Thank you so much for helping me put some numbers to these layers. This helps me understand much better what I was testing. It sounds like I need to dial in the Talalay top layer to be sure I get the feel I experienced but this is a good start.

No. But I certainly described it in a confusing manner. lol. My tour started on the Savvy Rest mattresses, specifically the Serenity in soft and medium configurations. It was there that I found the cover too stiff and unyielding. The Vitality was indeed very different and preferable to me. That’s why I said “mattress covers” instead of topper covers. But I wasn’t very clear on that point. :oops:

I also wasn’t clear on my ultimate goal. I want to create that same PPP in a single mattress rather than a two layer mattress and a topper. I hope that deleting the cover on the Tempo from the mix won’t affect the final feel too much. As long has I can find a yielding top cover I think I’ll be happy.

The biggest surprise in this whole journey is that I prefer a soft top layer. I would never have believed it if I hadn’t studied this site for a month and then actually taken your advice to go try stuff out. I was shocked!

I obviously have a little more work to do but you’ve given me the guidelines to get there. The service you provide through this site is life changing. Thank you for continuing what you and your husband started. His legacy lives on.

Hi R0CKnU,

That makes perfect sense. The materials closest to your skin will have the greatest impact on your comfort, so searching for a stretch knit covering, perhaps something that uses spandex or elastin or the like as part of the ticking, will certainly be something you’ll wish to investigate.

I think you’ll be able to find something that you like. There are many component systems available using three 3" layers – it is a common configuration. Not having a covering around the bottom two layers will make a little bit of difference if you tested two similar configurations side to side (one with the cover and another without), but it should be neither “here nor there” when going with an all-new configuration with everything in a single encasement.

And thank you for your very kind words.:slight_smile:

Phoenix

Regarding “spandex or elastin” latex mattress covers can you please suggest some vendors to me. This sounds like a possible solution to the problem I am having with a stretch cover on the latex bed I plan to replace because the cover develops wrinkles that I can feel! (Habitat bed).

Hi browser,

I haven’t talked recently with the different vendors in the component post here (scroll about 2/3 of the way down the post for cover suppliers) about all the cover options they currently have available (websites are often not up to date) but the SleepEZ cover would certainly be among the better options. Most of the others also carry unquilted covers as well as far as I know.

Phoenix