How do you know when you need a new mattress?

I’m guessing we do, but not sure how you know.

Hello, we have an 8.5 year old sleep number mattress. I’m not sure why we bought it, probably because there was a store nearby and the idea of different settings for me and my wife made sense. Anyway, my side has had an indentation for a while now. I pump it up but that doesn’t seem to solve the problem. So, I end up sleeping in the middle much of the time where there is no indentation (yet). I really don’t know if my wife or I am having any neck or back pain from the bed. We have it most days, but I can’t necessarily attribute it to sleeping. Maybe we just don’t know any better. I know eating sugar and wheat are negative factors.

I’ve read enough of this forum today not to ask, Which mattress should I get? But I thought I’d ask if it’s clear we need a new one.

For what it’s worth, I’m 5’9", about 155, and my wife is 5’4", about 120. I sleep on my side about 75% of the time and my back 25% of the time. My wife probably sleeps on her back more than that. I’d like a cooler bed.

I live in the zip code. I’m not sure there are any approved retail stores here so I sent some emails to a couple of the national stores on the list since I figure I’ll probably have to do this all online.

Thanks in advance fr any help.

Also, I’ve had one of those $100 contoured foam pillows from Sleep Number for a while now as well. I’m guessing I need a new one of those too. I have no idea about pillows in case anyone has any advice there as I can see a bad pillow affecting my neck pain. Thanks.

Hi Chief,

There are a number of ways to know including …

You wake up in the morning with aches and pains that go away over the course of the day.

You tend to sleep better on other mattresses (friends, hotels etc) or on your couch than you do on your own mattress.

There are obvious signs of foam softening or sagging/impressions that is affecting the performance of your mattress (such as sleeping better in the middle of your mattress).

You don’t sleep as well on your mattress as you did in the first few years.

While some mattresses are much more durable and will maintain their comfort and support much longer than others (depending on the quality and durability of the components) and your own needs and preferences can also change over time depending on different factors such as weight changes, injury, illness, physiological changes associated with aging, and other factors as well … if you are sleeping on a mattress that is 7 - 10 years old or more it would also be a good idea to assess whether you may be better off with a new mattress (using the above criteria). In some cases even a mattress that is only 2 or 3 years old but is made with lower quality materials may need to be replaced because it has lost the comfort and/or support that it had when it was new so I would use your own “best judgement” rather than only the age of the mattress or the length of the warranty (which has very little to do with the useful life of a mattress).

While I’m not a big fan of airbeds for the reasons outlined in this article … if you were sleeping well when the mattress was new and your pain and discomfort is the result of foam softening in your comfort layers it may also be worth considering just replacing the foam in your comfort layers. There are some good sources for different types of foam layers in post #4 here.

You left out the zip code so if you can let me know what it is I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

There is more information in the pillow thread here that can help you choose a new pillow that is suitable for your own specific needs and preferences. I would probably choose a mattress first since the type and firmness of a mattress can affect which pillow you will do best with and will keep your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I actually feel pretty good when I wake up and start to have joint/muscle pain within an hour or so. i think that is largely due to my diet, but I don’t doubt that my bed/sleep is also a factor.

Unfortunately, I don’t have good responses to those initial points. I don’t recall how well I slept in the beginning, but I assume it was pretty well or we would have taken the mattress back. I’ve always been a pretty good sleeper, although I do toss and turn and shift positions at night but it really doesn’t bother me. It’s easy for me to go back to sleep. I almost never sleep in other beds. When we go on vacation, I can usually sleep well and may or may not feel different, better or worse, that day but I almost always eat worse on vacation and that is a big factor.

Sorry, my zip code is 32217.

It sounds like I could use a new mattress and maybe something other than an air bed (I’ll check out that link you posted). However, I’m a little hesitant to upset the balance. What I don’t want is to make a change and for things to be worse.

Thanks.

Hi Chief,

While your own “best judgement” about your own quality of sleep and the other points I mentioned would be better than mine (I can’t feel what you feel on your mattress) … based on your description it certainly sounds like you need a new mattress or at least a new comfort layer if the air bladders are still in good condition.

If you do decide to look for a new mattress then the first place I would start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to know how to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Jacksonville, FL area are listed in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Thanks. That gives me some places to work with. Along with your tutorial and list of mattress stores I can email, I should be in good shape. If and when I buy one, I’ll report back with comments.

Hi Chief,

I forgot to include a link to the tutorial in my last reply (now corrected) but I think you found it anyway :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

We went to the one mattress store open on Sunday today. They had the Pure Latex Bliss beautiful bed. I liked it but my wife wasn’t sure. She liked the latex bed but found one that had some sort of quilted top that she liked better. The salesman said that’s what he has so she liked that too. It was a Restonic Interlude. I didn’t see that manufacturer or bed discussed favorably anywhere on this site so I was hesitant to buy it. Unless I missed Restonic on this site someheere?

I guess I’ll try a couple of other places next Saturday and also work with some of the internet companies.

Thanks.

Hi Chief,

A forum search on Restonic (you can just click the link) will bring up several hundred posts that mention them and they are the 10th largest manufacturer in the US (see this article).

Restonic makes some good quality mattresses (and some that aren’t) that can be better value than the largest manufacturers but they are a licensee group of privately owned factories and the different factories in the group may build their mattresses differently in various areas of the country. Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP though … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information in this article so you can make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress and so you can make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses (regardless of who makes it).

Phoenix

I’m slowly narrowing this down. I like the Arizona Mattress Company. I like the Brooklyn Bedding all latex mattress, but they haven’t responded back to me. Flexus looks good too. SleepEZ has responded quickly. I have a question about them. For a 10,000 king size mattress, there is about a $400 difference between a natural latex mattress and an organic latex mattress. Anyone know what kind of benefit I’d be paying for if I went with the organic mattress? Thanks.

Hi Chief, it may help to ask SleepEZ directly but from what I can tell of the description, the difference between the 10,000 and organic 10,000 : The 10,000 (regular) offers 3 pieces at 3" each for the construction and can use either natural dunlop or talalay blended or a mix (ie, 1 layer dunlop, 2 layers talalay or 2 layers dunlop, 1 layer talalay etc). Talalay blend is probably a common 70% synthetic/30% natural blend. The organic uses natural dunlop or all natural talalay or a mixture. All natural talalay is a more expensive material.

Being that they’re a reputable company, the designation of ‘organic’ probably means that their materials have undergone additional certification to meet “organic” labeling requirements. For some people this is more important than for others. Both versions of talalay, all natural and synthetic blend (traditional talalay), are good materials. There may be some durability differences in lower (softer) ild’s regarding all natural talalay - you’d have to ask Phoenix for those details. Keeping in mind that “all organic” means they’ve created a mattress that’s as organic as possible, using natural latex (no synthetic blends), natural cotton or wool in their cover etc. Phoenix would also be the one to ask about the details of latex production, but as I understand the rubber tree sap is combined with a couple other chemicals or agents in order to undergo the vulcanization process and is absolutely necessary to create latex rubber. Splitting hairs, there is no 100% organic - it’s around 98% organic/natural latex but it means that no petroleum based synthetic latex was used in the formula. It’s as close as possible to being all natural/all organic as they can get while still making the product. Depending on the person, getting as all natural as possible will have different levels of importance and if it’s important to them to abstain from as many chemicals as possible in various aspects (food, clothing, bedding etc) then a $400 difference may be considered “worth it” for peace of mind.

Even if choosing the 10,000 regular (non organic latex) in all talalay (70/30 blend), this means that 30% of the mattress would be made of natural materials (latex rubber) along with a natural cotton/wool cover - far more natural material than you’d find in most other mattresses whether inner spring or sleep number style constructions. Again Phoenix would know the details better than I would, but I think there is some reduction in durability with 100% natural talalay especially in softer layers.

Hi Chief,

The “natural” latex line gives you a choice between 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay.

The organic line has an organic cover and you have the option between 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay. You can also request organic Dunlop for an additional cost. The main reason to choose this would be for those that prefer 100% natural Talalay since the Dunlop would be the same in both.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

They will also go over any specifics you may wish to know about their materials when you talk with them on the phone and a more detailed conversation (or at the very least an online chat) is one of the most important parts of any online mattress purchase anyway (see post #4 here).

Phoenix

Thanks Brass and Phoenix.

New plan. It doesn’t sound like my wife is willing to make a change without trying out the mattresses in a store. So, buying one over the internet is out for now. We’re going to take a trip down to Fox Mattress to accomplish that. Unfortunately, that isn’t likely to happen for several weeks. We’ll either buy one there or maybe have enough of a tangible reference point to order something similar over the internet.

I’ll be back with some updates. It might be a while though.

Hi Chief,

[quote] We’re going to take a trip down to Fox Mattress to accomplish that. Unfortunately, that isn’t likely to happen for several weeks. We’ll either buy one there or maybe have enough of a tangible reference point to order something similar over the internet.

I’ll be back with some updates. It might be a while though. [/quote]

I think that’s a good idea so you have some good reference points to work from regardless of where you end up deciding to purchase.

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

Chief, I think it’s especially a good idea if you or your wife haven’t tried latex yet. Even if it’s a few weeks, it will probably result in more satisfaction with a purchase. It took me awhile to get to a mattress store to try out latex (I’d slept on a number of other things over the years, futon, waterbed, innerspring etc) and despite everyone’s best efforts there really was no other way to gain a more accurate starting point. Despite tons of research and ‘calculations’ and trying to mentally compare relative firmness I would have undoubtedly picked something too firm for my taste had I not been able to lay on them in person. As eager as you are to get out of your current mattress and into a new one I think you’ll both be happier in the long run testing them out personally. It’s hard enough moving from one model to another with the same basic build, even harder yet to guess at the feel of something unfamiliar. Hopefully you find something you both like - and keep in mind, whether it’s available locally or helps guide you to an online purchase, a lot of king size have a split firmness option in the event personal testing leads you both to different ideals (win/win with least compromise).

I said I’d come back once the process was finished so here I am. I was leaning towards ordering a mattress over the internet but the wife wouldn’t go for it. We ended up driving to Fox Mattress in the Daytona Beach, FL area since we were in the area for something else. They were helpful but not pushy. Definitely knowledgeable and engaging. We tried a couple. We ended up going with a king bed with a latex top over a spring. We’ve had it for about two and a half months. Seems like a very good bed.

They did give us the discount for mentioning this site. That basically covered the shipping, which worked out well.

Hi Chief,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

It sounds like you did well … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

It’s been almost a year and a half and all is well.

I did have a question. I’ve been sleeping on my side more and my shoulders get a little sore. I emailed Fox Mattress and they suggested I get a high quality, high density foam topper, 2 inches or less. They have one, but it doesn’t sound like they ship and I won’t be in the area for a while.

Does anyone know of a place where I can order a good one online that will ship to me? Thanks.

Hi Chief,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

A 2" topper would certainly make sense and would provide “a little to a fair bit” of additional softness and pressure relief and would be a very common choice in terms of thickness. Thinner may not be “enough” and thicker may have some additional risk in terms of support/alignment. I’m not sure which type of topper you are considering but I would call and talk with them both to discuss the different options that they may have available and to find out for sure whether they can ship a topper to you.

If they don’t ship their toppers or if you wish to consider other topper options then there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of and a link to the online suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I will check that out.