How does one pull the trigger and buy a memory foam mattress?

PS - I’ll see if I have time after work to swing by some place that sells memory foam mattresses. There’s a Bob’s not too far from where I work. I’m not sure if the mattress store which is closest to my office has memory foam.

PSS - Did anyone see Brooklyn Bedding is advertising on the radio? It’s the first brand like this that I’ve ever heard a commercial for. Well, it wasn’t really a commercial. They sponsored something, the people on the show talked about them for a bit, and I think they gave away $500 Visa Cards or something. This was a nationally broadcasted show too.

I’ve ordered a mattress, but I won’t have it for a couple weeks most likely. 3 x 3" layers of 100% natural dunlop (arpico iirc) in med/firm/firm (28/31/31 ild iirc), and a organic cotton stretch case with a silica fire barrier. (From foamorder.com, but I went to their store for testing.)

Like you, originally I was looking for a memory foam mattress, my younger sister has a temper pedic thats 10-15 years old now and has held up well that she loves. But, as they’ve both changed the design (only had 2 or 3 models when she got hers) and sold the company I was a bit leery of purchasing one without testing. I found once I tried all of the temper pedic mattresses I could find locally, as well as some other memory foam mattresses, I just didn’t like the way memory foam felt. None of their mattresses were good enough alignment wise for me either, and the main reason I didnt like them.

During my testing I did end up liking the way latex felt in one of the stores, and after much research on here decided to go for a latex mattress of some sort. I went back to that first store as well as a couple others to try both types of latex, as well as the hybrids (ie foam or coil base with a latex comfort layer). I found I preferred an all latex, followed by latex on poly foam, and lastly latex on coils.

On this last round of testing, after i had alteady narrowed down to liking the feel of dunlop in a cotton stretch case… I noticed something I hadn’t before. After spending 20-30 minutes so on a 100% natural dunlop mattress in a ‘normal’ mattress encasement (strong cotton canvas sides, zippered top made with organic wool & cotton) I could actually feel the ‘pushback’ or resiliency that I’ve seen described about others that did not like and returned their latex mattress. It actually made it feel suprisingly uncomfortable, like it was pushing my upper back and shoulders up and out of the mattress.

But with the same dunlop latex in a cotton stretch cover (no stiff sides) it became very comfortable and very soft. So much so, that instead of the soft/med/med mattress I was on (that had the organic wool/cotton top with cotton canvas sides), with the stretch cotton case I had to move to firmer med/firm/firm… and it still felt softer with more pressure relief.

Your own testing will tell you whether or not memory foam is for you or not. Also don’t forgot if temperature changes, so can the feel of the memory foam. So it could be fine now in cooler months but once summer hits it could feel softer (some have described it as marshmellowy) if you don’t keep your bedroom a set temperature.

Andrew

Hi yuppicide,

You can read a little more about Bobs Discount Furniture (mybobs.com) in post #4 here. Overall I would tend to be cautious here since they aren’t very knowledgeable or informative about their mattresses. A forum search on mybob (you can just click the link) will also bring up a few more comments about them.

@assassin1000,

Thanks for taking the time to share some some great comments and insights … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well, going to Bob’s was not for knowledge. It was just for a quick lay on a soft bed, lay on a medium or firm bed… and compare.

I didn’t feel like going to Bob’s, because Sleepy’s is kind of my way home from work. So I went in. The guy asked what brings me in tonight… duh… a mattress. MacGyver he was not. Anyway, I told him I wanted to try something super soft and also something either medium/firm.

He brings me to a few beds. Some soft, some firmer. I definitely like softer beds.

Then he takes me to one that was some sort of coil with a topper built in. Not sure if it was a hybrid. Holy soft. I love it. $3200, though. No thanks!

So then I said something less expensive… in the $1000 range I am comfortable with. He shows me something for $1799. Did he not get it? Anyway, this was pretty nice too.

I checked out the memory foam. Tempur Pedic I believe. It definitely wasn’t as nice as the $3200. Not as soft. I did not sink down in the mattress like people say on the internet. I know everyone has their opinions, but it seems like a lot of people exaggerate just how deep they sink it. Internet makes it sounds like you’re deeper sunk in than reality.

So from my tests so far I felt whatever the non-memory foam mattress I tried was preferable. Memory foam was good too, just not as good. I don’t think heat would be a problem.

I am not too concerned with the stuff like cotton, wool, dunlop, etc.

So I asked him about financing… you know I had to seem interested or like I might be back. It runs about $100 a month. But I don’t think I could get financing anyway. It’s done through the same company who does Amazon Store Card credit, and I already have credit with them. I doubt they’d extend me more credit and I don’t want it.

So, having said all that… are there alternative coil/hybrid mattress makers just like there are alternative memory foam mattress makers? I mean I know there are some… but i’m talking one who get good reviews and build quality products. If so, I may take a few days to research those a bit… otherwise I may pull the trigger on a memory foam tonight.

Hi yuppicide,

That really depends on how you are defining “alternative coil hybrid” mattress but there would be many hundreds of them yes. Innerspring matttresses with some type of foam comfort layers are the most common type of mattresses that are sold in the industry.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

If you are asking whether there would be other mattresses that would be a reasonable “match” or “approximation” of any of the mattresses you have been testing then this would be a very different question.

The short answer would be no.

The longer version would be …

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one but every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” and mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer.

Unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) then the only reliable way to know if a mattress will “feel” similar to you would be based on your own personal testing or your actual sleeping experience.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see this article) and confirm that they meet the quality/durability guidelines here which would exclude almost all of the major brand mattresses and the major chain stores that specialize in them (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

One of the most frustrating parts of mattress shopping can be spending time testing a mattress and finding out that you like it and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) only to find out that the information you need to identify any potential weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses isn’t available and you’ve wasted the time you spent testing the mattress.

As I mentioned in my previous reply I would avoid using mattress reviews as a reliable source of information to help you choose a mattress.

I would also be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and all manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (which are the two most important parts of a mattress purchase). There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

One of the most effective “shortcuts” that can help cut through much of the confusion when you are buying a mattress is to focus first on finding and dealing with knowledgeable and experienced retailers and/or manufacturers that have your best interests at heart (and aren’t just interested in selling you anything that they can convince you to buy). These are the ones that already know what you would otherwise need to learn (including the information in many of the links I listed) and understand the importance of choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for you and knowing what is inside any mattress that you are considering. They can provide you with the type of information and guidance that can help you make the best possible choice. Who you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Once you have found a few of these types of knowledgeable and experienced manufacturers or retailers then In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see this article and the durability guidelines it links to).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Sure, I’d like a lady in my life, but let me say… right now at the moment I’m so glad to be mattress shopping for just me. Nobody else’s opinions get in the way.

Do you know the model of bed you loved? Find out what is in it and you can search for similar alternatives.

Andrew

Hi assissin10000,

Unfortunately most hotels won’t provide you with the information you would need about the materials and components in their mattresses that would give you a way to use it as a meaningful reference point to find another similar mattress but even if they did (and they used good quality materials which would be unlikely with a hotel mattress) it would be next to impossible to find another mattress with exactly the same design and materials anyway.

Phoenix

I’m about ready to just sleep on the floor. Tired of all this searching. Thinking I’ve found something I’m interested in and then either getting talked out of it, or I can’t get it on Amazon. I was almost going to pull the trigger on a Sleep EZ organic latex bed. But they don’t have the organic one on Amazon.

Hi yuppicide,

Hopefully it will meet the quality/value guidelines that would be suitable for you and your weight range and be a suitable, durable, and good “value” choice. I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Well, I’m antsy. I pulled the trigger… whew… it’s sort of a weight off my shoulder. But now we’ll see when it gets here… No balls. I just went for it finally.

I ended up going with a Dreamfoam Ultimate Eurotop Latex Mattress. This way if I don’t like the top I can unzip and swap it out. I think it’s $75 bucks.

I went with this because it says Ultra Plush. I’m going to call Chuck tomorrow unless he calls me first and request soft and my free pillow for being a member of this website.

The only thing that worried me is I always mentioned the word cloud… and SLTD says latex feels more solid where as memory foam feels more cloud-like.

I’m not too worried… I am pretty sure it’ll be the best mattress I’ve ever owned, but if not I can return it for $99 flat fee within 45 days and then get their 13" memory foam model. I am pretty sure I wouldn’t bother going through all that trouble and I’ll most likely keep it.

12" inches total… 8 inches of 2 pound high density, and 3 inches of talalay latex… not sure what the last 1 inch equals? Bamboo Knit mattress cover.

Hi yuppicide,

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to your weight range … so congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think that’s a great idea because when you are purchasing a mattress that you haven’t tested in person then a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer and the guidance they can provide is one of the most important parts of a purchase.

I wonder what a cloud really feels like? :slight_smile:

These are just words and the “feel” of a mattress is subjective and relative to the person … not some review site that just takes an 'average" of other people’s opinions and presents them as fact. There is more about the difference between memory foam and latex in post #2 here but the only way to know which one feels more “cloud like” to you (and the firmness that would feel more cloud like because memory foam and latex mattresses both come in a wide range of firmness levels) will be based on your own personal experience.

The last inch is the quilted cover.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Spoke with Chuck at Dreamfoam. He was super nice. That’s part of the reason I wanted to go with them, because other people have said the same.

If you don’t speak with Chuck, their mattress will come as a 6 out of 10 on the softness scale (10 being most soft). Speaking with Chuck I mentioned I wanted it super soft. He said most people will go for an 8, which is almost cloud like while still maintaining the support you need. I went along with his advice.

The only requirement for getting the free pillow is that I make a post on Mattress Underground, which I told him I already did. I already opened discussion with people there and told them that I’ve decided to go with Dreamfoam.

They ship out of Arizona… so it’ll take 2 days or so to make the mattress and 3 or 4 days to ship UPS Ground to me (New Jersey).

After I get the mattress and sleep on it, I’ll come back with a quick review, and a follow up maybe after a month or two when I’ve had some more time with it.

Hi yuppicide,

Thanks for the update.

The forum software automatically upgrades your status to “member” once you have made a single post in the forum so as you mentioned you had already met the requirements for the bonus.

The 8 would certainly be a very soft choice and I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it.

Phoenix

By the way, Derek over at Sleepopolis is super friendly and very knowledgeable like yourself. He actually sleeps on all the mattresses he reviews along with his wife.

Hi yuppicide,

He may be friendly … but but I certainly wouldn’t call them (or any of the other similar revenue sites) knowledgeable (see post #11 here and the post it links to).

Phoenix

I certainly don’t know enough questions to ask. If we were at a party standing by the chip and dip bowl, I couldn’t have an intelligent conversation about mattresses that’s for sure.

I do understand it’s a revenue site, but I have spoken with him a few times via email and his answers to me were thorough and seemed knowledgeable. He didn’t openly seem pushy or just trying to get me to click his links.

Hi yuppicide,

Outside of the many issues involved in trying to tell anyone else what they will feel on a mattress or whether it will be a suitable choice in terms of PPP … if you read the information on their sites and you have even basic knowledge about mattresses and mattress materials you will quickly see that they are not particularly knowledgeable about and pay little attention to the quality or durability of the materials in the mattresses they are promoting and will “promote” almost anything that they can earn an income on or that someone that wants them to review a mattress will send them.

They certainly wouldn’t seem knowledgeable to anyone in the industry that was truly knowledgeable … only to those who aren’t and wouldn’t know whether what they are being told is accurate or meaningful.

Phoenix

I can’t wait! It should be here tomorrow!

Only problem? Where to find my dream bed sheet now? I bought a waterproof mattress protector, but now have to find some sheets before I can use my mattress lol.

I bought a water pillow to go with it all. Bought a cheap pillow cover until I find a nice one.

Hi yuppicide,

There is some good information about sheets in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that may be helpful.

Phoenix