How safe is POLY Foam to sleep on?

We were mattress shopping yesterday at a nearby mattress maker.

Tried out several Talalay Latex mattress, inner spring mattresses and poly foam, as well.

My wife and I found their poly foam mattress the most comfortable.

I have an acute sense of smell and found the odor coming from all of their latex mattresses
to be very bothersome. They use Talalay Latex and all of these samples matresses were not
newly made.

My questions are as follows.

Is poly foam toxic to sleep on? I did not detect any odor coming from the mattress,
but have concerns about the safety of sleeping on this material.

They offered an upgrade to the mattress cover that we found both very attractive,
and comfortable as well. It was a stitched and quilted Bamboo cover with 2 layers of poly
foam-approximately 2" thick in total.

The up charge is $200. per side for a queen size mattress, adding an additional
$400 to the purchase price.

Three questions here.

-Is a quilted and padded bamboo cover worth an additional $400?

-Are there better cover materials worth considering, wool, organic cotton, etc.?

-Should I purchase the mattress with a less expensive cover (as shown on the sales floor)
and purchase a good quality topper?

Then the question arises, who makes a good topper
with the ideal materials for comfort and health considerations?

Hi jodebg,

[quote]Is poly foam toxic to sleep on? I did not detect any odor coming from the mattress,
but have concerns about the safety of sleeping on this material.[/quote]

Most people would consider polyfoam that was made in North America and/or that has been CertiPur certified to be “safe enough” for them yes although there may be some people who have medical conditions such as MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) or other similar health conditions that are much more sensitive than the norm or who wish to avoid synthetic materials for personal reasons (that can sometimes be a result of misinformation they have come to believe) that may choose to avoid it and use more natural materials but they would be in a smaller minority.

[quote]They offered an upgrade to the mattress cover that we found both very attractive,
and comfortable as well. It was a stitched and quilted Bamboo cover with 2 layers of poly
foam-approximately 2" thick in total.

The up charge is $200. per side for a queen size mattress, adding an additional
$400 to the purchase price.[/quote]

If the upgrade makes a big enough difference for you in terms of PPP that it would justify the extra cost then of course it would be well worth considering although if there is more than “about an inch or so” of polyfoam in a quilting layer or in the upper layers of a mattress then I would want to make sure that it was good quality/density so that it doesn’t become a weak link in the mattress. Having a two sided mattress is also a plus in terms of durability (see post #3 here).

If it makes a big enough difference for you in terms of PPP to justify the extra cost then I would think so yes. If it doesn’t then it probably wouldn’t be"worth it" for you (although it may be for someone else). In other words it would depend on how much of an improvement there was with the upgrade. I would decide this based on testing and on how much you believe the upgrade will improve the quality of your sleep. When you look back on a mattress purchase in a decade or so you will remember much more about how well you slept and how long it lasted than you will about relatively small differences in the price per year of ownership and PPP is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase followed by the quality/durability of the materials and design followed by the other parts of your personal value equation (including cost of course) that are most important to you.

That would depend on how you define “better” and on the specific benefits you are looking for but in very general terms natural materials and fabrics (or semi-synthetic materials such as bamboo or other viscose type of fabrics) tend to be more temperature regulating and perform better than their synthetic counterparts yes. Like most higher quality components or materials in any layer of a mattress though … they are also generally a higher cost so there is always a tradeoff. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of quilting materials in post #12 here and the posts it links to. There is also more about different types of fabrics in post #7 here and the posts it links to (this is mostly about sheets but the information about different fabrics would apply to the fabrics used in mattress covers as well).

[quote]-Should I purchase the mattress with a less expensive cover (as shown on the sales floor)
and purchase a good quality topper?[/quote]

This would introduce a new variable and choosing a topper that works well with a specific mattress can be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress if you can’t test the specific combination in person. I would tend to choose a mattress that you can confirm with your testing is a good match for you in terms of PPP without any additions that you haven’t tested in person and use a topper as a “backup” in case you make a mistake rather than as part of a specific plan.

[quote]Then the question arises, who makes a good topper
with the ideal materials for comfort and health considerations? [/quote]

Ideal really depends on your own personal preferences. It would be like trying to define an “ideal” in terms of clothing when there are too many personal preferences involved. If you do decide to go in the direction of adding a topper then post #2 here and the posts it links to include some guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice for you and also links to some good sources for different types of toppers.

In almost all cases … “better/worse” types of questions are more about personal preferences and which of two “competing” choices are “better for you” … regardless of whether they may be better for someone else.

Phoenix

Phoenix-

Thanks for your time and the very helpful information.

I need to ask 2 important questions.

Does the $200. up-charge/side
sound like a realistic dollar amount to pay for a plush bamboo and
poly foam quilted top? I am not familiar with the cost difference between
different top material options. It is very nice, but don’t know if the charge is
appropriate.

I was told that the support poly foam is 1.8 density and 27 compression.
If we go with the 2" plush Bamboo cover on both sides, do we need to change
the density or compression of the poly foam core due to the thicker layer of soft
material under the mattress?

Thanks, again.

Hi jodebg,

I don’t have enough information to really answer this such as the specifics of the materials in each cover, the raw material and manufacturing costs of each, or who you are dealing with (all of which could make a difference to me).

Having said that, the type of cover and quilting materials can be a significant part of the cost of a mattress so the best I could say is that if they are a knowledgeable and experienced local independent manufacturer with a good local reputation and if the different cover makes a big enough difference to you then “probably yes” it would be an appropriate upcharge.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix-

We are shopping with Dave at Comfort Sleep Systems in Branford, CT…

the density or compression of the poly foam core due to the thicker layer of soft

Also wondering if I should ask to have a zipper sewn on the cover?

One of my concerns is what materials will actually be assembled into my mattress
after an agreement is made with a mattress factory. It would seem all too easy for
lower priced, lower quality materials to be inserted instead of what may have been
agreed upon.Your thoughts?

I also spoke with Neil at Spindle Mattress in Acton, Ma. Neil was very knowledgeable
and helpful. We were discussing both Natural and Synthetic latex. Started reading on the
differences and seems like some varied opinions. Can you please provide some links where
I can read on this subject on MU.

Are you familiar with Spindle, their product, and reputation?

We were looking at Latex at Comfort Sleep Systems and found the odor in their Latex
mattresses to be strong, Even the room where the latex mattresses were on display had a
strong sweet latex smell. Lying on the beds, the smell was very obvious. I mentioned this to Neil
and he informed me that Comfort Sleep was buying their Latex from Latex Intl. and the ammonia
content in their product was twice as large as a his producer,Mountain Top in Pa., and that synthetic
vanilla extract was added, as well. Any information available on this matter, as well?

Thanks!

I’m surprised the talalay latex had a stronger odor than PU foam. PU foam is more toxic; latex is always an upgrade. The latex might have either been partially synthetic or all synthetic, or was natural latex but a brand new floor sample. Natural latex has an initial odor that is NOT toxic and dissipates pretty quickly.

I believe $400 is too much for a topper. You can buy an organic cotton and wool stitched and quilted one from other places and have it UPS’d to you. Try Spindle Mattress in Acton, Ma. Their website may have a price. They can be trusted.

If I was concerned about chemicals I wouldn’t buy a PU synthetic material bed then cover it with a natural topper. I’d do all natural latex and find a manufacturer (cut out the middleman retailers).

Other covers that I know of are made of rayon or polyester.

My experience is that if the cover is quilted/stitched, it compresses the materials down by about 75% or so (you would have to ask them how much.) this prevents body impressions from developing on the cover.
Also, if the mattress felt good that’s good but anything under a 4lb density foam is not very much. Having said that, just like latex “ILD” densities, this can and does differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

[quote=“jodebg” post=33570]Phoenix-

Thanks for your time and the very helpful information.

I need to ask 2 important questions.

Does the $200. up-charge/side
sound like a realistic dollar amount to pay for a plush bamboo and
poly foam quilted top? I am not familiar with the cost difference between
different top material options. It is very nice, but don’t know if the charge is
appropriate.

Thanks, again.[/quote]

Hi LookingNow,

I wanted to clarify some of your comments because you are providing some inaccurate information.

The only way to know how “toxic” a foam is would be through the results of any testing that has been done on it. There is a lot of “fear mongering” in the industry about so called “toxic” mattresses and while there is “some” truth to “some” of the information … there is also a great deal of misinformation. Most of the polyfoam used in the industry that is either made in North America or that is CertiPur certified has been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s that by most standards would be considered to be safe to sleep on (although of course I wouldn’t eat it or any other type of foam … including latex :)). It’s also true that some people are more sensitive than others or for personal reasons may be more comfortable with materials that are more natural regardless of whether they are any safer to sleep on.

Some types of natural latex have an odor that can last for some time … especially for those who are sensitive. All the latex you would likely encounter in the market (natural, synthetic, or a blend and made using the Talalay or Dunlop process) has been tested and certified by Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut so any smell that comes from any of the different types (synthetic, natural, or a blend) wouldn’t be toxic (not just natural latex). In the case of Talalay latex … it has all been tested and certified by Oeko-Tex regardless of the type.

The $400 was for a different mattress with a different cover with a thicker layer of material in the quilting that would be used on both sides of the mattress. This is very different from adding a topper which sits on top of the mattress.

While this may be true with wool … polyfoam quilting layers won’t generally be compressed this much.

Different materials have different density ranges. 4 lb density would be a medium density with memory foam but would be a much higher density than you would usually find even in a very high quality/density polyfoam. 1.8 lb polyfoam for example is generally considered to be the lower end of higher quality polyfoam. Density is also not connected to softness/firmness or ILD in polyfoam or memory foam … only in latex. Lower density polyfoam and higher density polyfoam can feel the same in a showroom because any density can be made in a wide range of firmness levels.

Phoenix

Hi Jodebg,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here is the first place I would start your research.

When you are testing a mattress locally then your own testing for PPP is much more important than knowing the comfort specs of the mattress (such as ILD). If you haven’t tested the specific mattress design you are considering then you would need to discuss any changes with the manufacturer who will be much more familiar with their mattresses, materials, and options and what may be suitable for different body types and sleeping positions than anyone else … including me (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If it isn’t a component mattress, if the layers are glued, or the cover isn’t washable, then there would be no reason for a zipper and a tape edge would generally be a better choice (see this post).

I think highly of Dave and Comfort Sleep Systems and while a “less than reputable” manufacturer may do this … it’s not something I would worry about at all with Dave or CSS. They are “good people”. You can read some feedback about them here and here and here and here.

Post #6 here and post #2 here have more information about the different types of latex.

Yes … I think highly of Neal and Spindle and they are one of the members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. A forum search on Spindle (you can just click this) will also bring up much more information and feedback about them.

The ammonia as a preservative in the raw latex to keep it from putrefying and spoiling and is mostly removed when the latex is foamed and manufactured. I have never seen Latex International confirm the use of vanilla in their formulation (and I haven’t asked them) although I have seen it mentioned by others and Talalay does have a “sweetish” smell. You can read more about the typical smell of latex in this post. For most people it’s not an issue and dissipates fairly quickly to levels that aren’t noticeable although there are some people who seem to be more sensitive to the smell of either Dunlop or Talalay and there can sometimes be differences from batch to batch or manufacturer to manufacturer.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you for clarifying my misinterpretations. I probably have some Jr. Mattress Maker enthusiasm. :slight_smile:

Hi LookingNow,

No problem.

There is so much misinformation in so many places around the internet and throughout the industry in general that I try to make sure that the information here is as accurate as it’s possible to be :).

Phoenix

Very good idea.

Hi jodebg

I have been sleeping on a combination of poly-foam, and latex for the last 30 years. Both my partner and I have had no health issues whatsoever with the poly-foam.
Some of our clients suffer from lupus, fibromyalgia or other chemical sensitivities, in that case I suggest they get a natural or organic latex to avoid allergy reactions.

Hope this helps!

cheers :slight_smile: