How to... A Researcher's Guide to Mattress Wisdom

Thank you sir for your reply. I apologize for my tardy response. I replied to DIYnaturalbedding and included some pertinent info but I’m stymied as to how to figure out what density my couch cushions are made of-they’re not soft and not hard so my guess is medium but I’d like to be sure. I think I’ll call the manufacturer tomorrow. It’s a good company so I’m hoping they can help.
We’re both side sleepers, I’m 5’7, 165 lbs, and Jim is 6’2 1/2", 205lbs. My pain level makes sleep difficult & Jim has a bad shoulder so would like to be more comfortable when we sleep.
We are looking for toppers to put atop the current cushions, not to replace them. Since we’ll be rolling them up we think 2 or 3 inch toppers would be better then 4".
Now that I’m doing better I’ll be combing the forums and vendors to look for more information. I think we’ll need one custom topper as Jim’s bed is 6" longer on the drivers side of the Roadtrek then mine. We also want removable covers in order to keep the toppers in good condition & clean the covers as needed.
If you think of anything that will be of help please feel free to add. We found TMU through our daughter who used your site extensively to choose & purchase their mattress. They’re extremely happy with it and have led 2 other couples to purchase from your vendors as we hope to do shortly.
Thank you again!
Chris n Jim

Hey Chris,

Welcome back to TMU :slight_smile: ! Good to see you again and thanks for your updates.

Goodness Chris, I’m terribly sorry to learn of your numerous surgeries during the past 2 years! You must be quite excited to be within weeks of getting back to your Roadtrek and your fishing time that you enjoy so, you both deserve a lot of R-n-R after everything the two of you have been through. Excellent news on the Covid vaccine shots too; I’m happy to hear that you had access to those and hope you both received them with no physical after effects.

[quote]So we need latex toppers for our Roadtrek twin beds (twin on one side is 6" longer then other). We’ll use toppers in RV primarily to sleep on but can we not sit on for a little while each evening before we go to bed? 4" would not roll up very small so I’m guessing 2-3" thick? Some things I left out before:
I am 5’7". 165lbs, side sleeper. Jim is 6’2 1/2", 205 lbs, side sleeper. He runs cold due to having 18 months chemo. I run bit hot but not unduly so.My pain level makes sleep difficult & Jim has a bad shoulder so would like to be more comfortable when we sleep.[/quote]

You may want to consider any of our TMU trusted members for a possible consultation and purchase, these offer latex toppers suited for RV/ custom builds’ use:

Arizona Premium Mattress

Sleep EZ

DIY Natural Bedding

Latex Mattress Factory

I see also that in response to your comment in post #4, consumer @ebs/ Emily made several location-based trusted member suggestions too (thanks Emily, that was most helpful!), and I appreciate her input as in the ever-changing retail landscape, it has become impossible to maintain a geographical manufacturer/ showroom data base and one of the reasons that the TMU Trusted Member program was created. Unfortunately, we do not make recommendations for manufacturers who have not been
vetted
for our strict quality, value, transparency and best practices criteria.

Latex Mattress Factory offers zippered removable covers in both 2" and 3" thicknesses, and DIY Natural Bedding offers them in 3" thickness and higher ranges. You could also check with either Arizona Premium or Sleep EZ as they both sell zippered mattress covers and may have a resource for zippered topper covers (not listed on their sites but worth asking about).

Thanks for consulting with DIY Natural Bedding, I see that they gave you good advice before and excellent thought-starter tips in post #2, you may want to review their guidance of:

[indent][i]Questions to consider:
a. How deep of a slab do you want?
b. How is the cushion going to be used primarily?

a. As a cushion that is going to be sat and slept on, I suggest a minimum of 3".
b. A sitter and a sleeper require different firmnesses of latex. A sleeper usually likes something softer than a sitter because their weight is dispersed throughout the latex as opposed to a sitter’s weight being contained at one point and sinking in heavily at that one spot. A sleeper could comfortably sleep on 6" of latex, 3" would be unusual, though not unheard of.
You have to choose whether you want to sit on something softer so that the cushions are comfortable to sleep OR to sleep on something firmer so that the cushions are comfortable to sit on[/i].[/indent]

[quote]I think I’ll call the manufacturer tomorrow. It’s a good company so I’m hoping they can help.
[/quote]

Good idea Chris on reaching out to the manufacturer, that would be the best way to find the spec details you are looking for.

Thank your for your kind words on the site; it’s good to know that your family and friends have found Phoenix’s research useful in their mattress shopping, as well as quality and value among the trusted members. Perhaps other consumers who may be following your posts (and travels) may share their RV topper experiences with you and looking forward to hearing more on your research :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Actually I am new at this forum. These guidelines are really helpful for me. Thanks for sharing.

how do you send a private message to another forum member? Pheonix mentioned this function in another thread but I can’t find a button to do so.