How to Clean Latex? ILD Help for DIY Mattress

Hi passionate4nature, I want to compare some notes with you concerning the mattresses you tried out at The Natural Mattress Store. I am trying to duplicate one of those myself. You can see my journey so far in this thread.

[quote=“passionate4nature” post=17532]4) Can you help me determine ILD (see below) so I can shop online for a DIY mattress (toppers / layers). If I bought these exact layers from sleepez or brooklyn mattresses would it be the same as below?

The stores would not provide them. How do you replicate the mattresses I tried out if foam can be made with different densities depending on manufacture process and materials used?

…

Mattresses I Tried and Liked:

…

Natural Mattress Store: Awareness
Wool and Cotton Quilted Encasement
3" Soft 100% Natural Tallay
3" Medium 100% Natural Tallay
3" Firm 100% Natural Dunlop

Natural Mattress Store: Awareness #2
Wool and Cotton Quilted Encasement
3" Soft 100% Natural Tallay
3" Extra Firm 100% Natural Dunlop
3" Medium 100% Natural Dunlop[/quote]

Do you recall which firmness levels you are referring to above? I liked the “Soft” level the best, the “Extra Soft” felt comfortable, but when laying near the edge I though it compressed too much. I will probably try them out again, just to make sure of my preferences. I want to ensure I’m not having a knee-jerk preference towards a mattress that softer than what I actually need (because my current bed is too hard and painful).

Anyways, I made several calls to The Natural Mattress Store to try and get the specs. The guy at the first store seemed the least informed (he said some downright inaccurate things about latex) and the least inclined to give me the info. He did tell me the “Soft” construction was exactly what you have listed above as Awareness #2. I thought it sounded it a little unusual (but not unheard of) that they would put the Extra Firm in the middle, over top of the Medium. I completely discounted what he told me after two other stores told me it was in the order of S/M/XF. Those stores also gave me the IDL, which you can see in my thread.

Based on what level of firmness you are referring to in your two models, and where you got your information from, I may need to reconsider whether or not what the first guy told me was wrong.

FWIW, I am also going to try and get more accurate information on the natural Dunlop that they use and I will post that information in my thread if I find out.