How to decide whether to exchange comfort layer

We purchased a Bamboo Bliss mattress with a level 5 medium firm comfort layer based on the recommendation of the salesperson. We have been sleeping on it for about a month now and I am considering switching out the comfort layer for something a little softer. My husband is sleeping fine, and I am too for the most part, much better than on our old spring mattress. Some days when I wake up though, my shoulder and sides feel a little weird, not really sore or painful, just uncomfortable. I am a side sleeper and I am wondering if a softer layer will do the trick or if I should just stick with what we have got. When we first got the bed it felt so firm, but we have adjusted to it well and my back pain is gone.it would cost $75 to exchange the layer, but I just feel nervous trading for something that may or may not feel better.

Another option is to try a topper just to give me a little extra squish to sink into and ease the pressure on my side and shoulder. I’m not sure if I can fit anything else under my sheets though, plus it feels silly not to take advantage of the exchangeable comfort layer since that was a big selling point for me.

Any tips for deciding when to switch the layer out?

Thanks!

Hi kristinh,

[quote]Another option is to try a topper just to give me a little extra squish to sink into and ease the pressure on my side and shoulder. I’m not sure if I can fit anything else under my sheets though, plus it feels silly not to take advantage of the exchangeable comfort layer since that was a big selling point for me.

Any tips for deciding when to switch the layer out?[/quote]

There are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

I would check to make sure that your mattress protector or any mattress pad you may be using isn’t part of the reason for your experience and I would also check to see if a different pillow will help because this can also make a difference with shoulder and upper body issues.

I would also wait a little longer to see if your experience changes over the next few weeks because you have 120 days and it sounds like both of you have good alignment on your mattress and a softer comfort layer may add to the risk of alignment issues although this may affect your husband more than you.

If after 60 - 90 days or so you still seem to need some additional softness and if none of these suggestions makes enough difference then I would talk with both your husband to see how he feels about a softer layer and I would also talk with Dreamfoam about any other suggestions they may have before exchanging your layer for one level softer.

Phoenix