How to find mattress that won't sag!!

I’ve read the tutorial. I’ve skimmed the boards. It’s this simple… my current mattress has me in agony all night long and I need a solution. I’ve run off the list of So Cal retailers which will be a great starting point. We’ve been through 2 very expensive mattresses in the last 15 years. Maybe that’s par for the course, I don’t know. But both sagged terribly which is the source of the pain. At this point sleeping on the couch is better. Any tips for finding a quality mattress that will hold up relatively well without that sagging problem? If spouse is 250 lbs, how do I evaluate mattress composition to support weight without sagging as well?

Hi rht,

The tutorial post has much more information and guidelines for how to avoid buying a mattress that softens or sags prematurely but the most important part is to make sure you find out all the information you need about the quality of the materials in any mattress you are considering (see this article) so you can compare the the specs and the quality/density of the foams to the guidelines here to make sure that it uses high quality and durable materials and that there are no weak links in the mattress. Post #4 here and the posts it links to also have more information about the variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person.

There is also more information about choosing a mattress for those in higher weight ranges in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

This information in these links, following the steps in the tutorial post one by one, and making sure you know all the information you need to make an informed buying decision (and perhaps most importantly of all making sure you deal with knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent manufacturers or retailers that have your best interests at heart) will give you the best chance of making a great choice both in terms of PPP and in terms of durability.

Phoenix

Hi rht,
In our experience, foam mattresses sag because of 2 reasons. The first is low density foam and the second is convoluted foam. If you buy a mattress with at least a 2 lb density core and avoid convoluted foam in the core, then you should get at least 15-20 years use out of your mattress before it starts to wear out.

We have been making mattresses for over 15 years, and have never had a return because of a mattress sinking, because we do not compromise on the density of our foams… On the other hand, convoluted foam is striped of half of its weight with a computer assisted cutter , which then weakens the foam, therefor it breaks down faster…

This youtube explains it a little better

I hope this will help you make the right choice.

good luck!