How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi Just Right,

I’m not clear on the actual makeup of the mattress. Do each of the sides have a different construction and design?

If each side is different then you may find that you are only using one side of the mattress which would decrease the durability.

The quality of the foam will also depend on the budget range of the mattress because lower budget mattresses will need to use less costly materials.Foam density is the single most important part of the durability of polyfoam and memory foam but there are also other factors involved in durability (see post #4 here) that can have a significant effect including whether the mattress is one or two sided.

It would help if you could list all the layers of the mattress (from top to bottom including layer thickness, layer density, and the type of innerspring), the size and price of the mattress, and preferably the mattress only price (or both the set price and the mattress only price) so I am in a better position to make comments.

If in practical terms the mattress is only one sided then the foam density would be a little on the low side (I would tend towards 1.8 lb as a minimum for a one sided mattress). If it is two sided in practical terms, then 1.6 lb polyfoam can be quite durable. The layers also appear to be thin enough that foam softening won’t make as big a difference as it would if the layers were thicker.

“Premium” really depends on what you are comparing it to. A mattress may be “premium” compared to another one that sells for less but still not be “premium” compared to a mattress that say uses latex or other higher quality specialty foams in the comfort layers. If a manufacturer sells mattress that range from say $300 to say $1200 then the $1200 mattress would be their premium mattress but if they make and sell mattresses that are up to say $2500 then the same $1000 mattress may not be their “premium” line.

Phoenix