How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Thank you for the information on finding the best mattress. My wife and I were considering a memory foam to replace our innerspring, but after perusing your articles, we decided to check into latex. We read, researched, read, and researched further. Your information about Astrabedā€™s being a part of a large marketing company was especially helpful. After speaking with representatives from several companies, I talked with Hans at Cozy Pure. He was quite patient, helpful, and knowledgeable. Thanks to Mattress Underground and Hans, I will be placing an order with Cozy Pure tomorrow.

Hi daja,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you.

As you probably know I think highly of Cozy Pure and they are one of the members of the site so I think you are making a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once youā€™ve received it.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix.

I want to thank you and whoever else supports you in operating this website. Iā€™ve been reading various topics and replies for a few months now. I have found the site to be a fountain of information and you to be the most unbiased source of information for latex beds. I first tried Consumer Reports, as I do for most major purchases, and found they do not review latex mattresses which has result in numerous negate comments on the web.

I have spent months looking for a new mattress. My current mattress is an innerspring, about 25 years old from the Original Mattress
Factory. I should have replaced it about 10 years ago, but did not like what was available and put off replacing it, then last winter I hurt my back, and now I have to get replacement.

I like the durability of latex mattresses and also considering a wool mattress (just finished looking at Shepardā€™s Dream, SoaringHeart, and a couple of other websites).

Iā€™m 5ā€™6" and run about 275-290 lbs, so I am not a lightweight, consequently, I prefer to try out a mattress whenever possible. I do not like memory foam as it is difficult for me to move around and get of the bed.

I will be going to up to north east Ohio within the next couple of weeks (zip code 44262), Between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio and wonder if you know of any place in that area where I might find latex mattresses to try out.

Locally, in central Ohio, I have tried Pure Bliss - all talalay and just sank in; also tried Savvy Rest (firm/medium/firm Dunlop) I like this better but still would possibly prefer something firmer.

On a recent trip to DC , I stopped by the Savvy Rest store in Charlottesville and also CozyPure in Norfolk. While the selection at the Savvy Rest was greater, I was not impressed with the employees knowledge or lack of motivation, Cheryl at CozyPure is definitely knowledgable and passionate about her mattresses. Both Savvy Rest and CozyPure seem to offer good mattresses, but I am still shopping and will be sending some e-mail inquiries to a couple of the members of the Mattress Undergound.

Thank you for any assistance you con provide, but most of all thank you for being there for persons like me tiring to find unbiased latex mattress information.

Hi Doulas,

Welcome to the site ā€¦ and thanks for the kind comments ā€¦ I appreciate them :slight_smile:

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Cleveland/Akron area are listed in post #2 here. If you are looking for ā€œall latexā€ I would call first before visiting just to confirm that any of the manufacturers or retailers have a mattress or mattresses on their floor that meet your criteria. Iā€™m not sure where you are in Central Ohio but the Columbus list in post #2 here may also be helpful (it has some overlap with the Cleveland/Akron list).

Post #3 here and the posts it links to also has more information that would be helpful for those that have a larger body type and are in a higher weight range.

[quote]I am still shopping and will be sending some e-mail inquiries to a couple of the members of the Mattress Undergound.

Thank you for any assistance you con provide, but most of all thank you for being there for persons like me tiring to find unbiased latex mattress information. [/quote]

You certainly have some great options available to you among the members here but if you are considering an online purchase I would generally suggest talking to them in person rather than email unless you have a very simple ā€œblack and whiteā€ question that can be answered in a single sentence and doesnā€™t have any ā€œit dependsā€ in the answer (which is a small minority of mattress questions). More interactive and ā€œreal timeā€ voice communications are much faster and more informative and can often cover more ground in a single conversation than weeks of back and forth emails that take many exchanges just to get on the same page and make sure you are sharing the same frame of reference.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Do people ever have allergic reactions to a latex mattress?

Hi arthur,

It would be very uncommon because most latex ā€œallergiesā€ are contact allergies and there is no contact with the latex in a mattress and foamed latex is also very different from the rubber used in gloves and other products that are a common source of latex allergy issues but a ā€œtrueā€ latex allergy is also possible in which case all natural latex products should be avoided (most people that have a ā€œtrueā€ or type 1 latex allergy would also need to carry an epipen because latex exposure can be very common in our society). There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Iā€™m so glad I found this site. Had a great shopping experience at Beloit Mattress last week and will be returning there tomorrow to make a purchase. Thanks for all the valuable information

Hi Carrieh75,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

As you probably know from reading here Beloit is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and the quality and value of their mattresses as well as their knowledge, experience, service, and transparency.

You are certainly looking in a great direction and I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up choosing.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

First off - THANK YOU SO MUCH for this awesome & informative Forum!
I placed an order with Essentia last week & Thankfully was able to cancel
it yesterday without any issues after reading through all your Info!

I am from Germany and slept on Latex Mattresses pretty much my entire life
before I came to the US. After sleeping on a so called fancy Pillow top for
the past 8 years and having severe back pain, I am finally investing in a new
one. However, I am very indecisive and have narrowed it down to 2 retailers
I have researched:
Naturepedic & Flobeds.
Do you have any suggestions or feedback for me?

My husband is leaning more towards the Talalay latex for comfort.
I know that Flobeds are using Talalay Latex but couldnā€™t find any specifics
on the Naturpedic website. We are also looking into getting two different Twin XL
Mattresses and putting them together like they do in Germany. And hopefully
in the near future we can add an adjustable slatted bed foundation to our
perfect mattress. :slight_smile:

I would appreciate any info or feedback that could make this decision making
any easier!

Thanks,
Bessi

Hi Bessi,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us ā€œin timeā€ :slight_smile:

I switched your post and my reply to a new topic with a more specific title so it wasnā€™t in a more ā€œgenericā€ topic that will get mixed up with other replies and would be more helpful for others that are making the same choice.

Iā€™m not sure which Naturepedic mattress or which Flobeds mattress you are considering or the criteria that are most important to you but both of these use high quality materials and neither one has any weak links in their materials or design. While I canā€™t tell you which one to choose ā€¦ post #13 here and the posts it links to has more information about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase that can help you with ā€œhowā€ to compare them. Iā€™m also assuming that youā€™ve read the tutorial post as well which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

As you probably also know ā€¦ Flobeds is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. If you are looking at their vZone mattress then they also have more options available to customize the mattress both in terms of layering and in terms of zoning than almost any other mattress Iā€™m aware of. There is more about Flobeds vZone mattress in post #4 here.

Iā€™m not sure if you are considering a Naturepedic from a local store or are considering an online purchase but either way the retailer or Naturepedic will be able to tell you the specific materials and components inside any of their mattresses. The latex they use in their mattresses is GOLS certified organic Dunlop. The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is about personal preference but there is more about the differences between how they ā€œfeelā€ in post #7 here. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about the different types of organic certifications in post #2 here.

Many couples do well with this and it can be a particularly good choice if you have or are planning to purchase an adjustable bed where you would like to raise and lower each side independently. There is more about the pros and cons of split king mattresses in post #8 here and in this topic that may be helpful as well. For some couples having the ability to raise and lower each side independently isnā€™t as important as avoiding the gap in the center of two twin XL mattresses and there are also some companies (including Flobeds and Naturepedic) that can customize each side of a mattress individually for a couple that has different needs and preferences so you would have a single mattress that doesnā€™t have any gap in the middle.

Hopefully this has helped. Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any other questions or comments you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the detailed feedback!
I am really leaning towards the Flobeds as I really like the
idea of the vZone layer that they offer. We were originally
looking to buy a Memory Foam Mattress, but since
(and thankfully we found this site!) we realized how
toxic they actually were, that became out of the question.

I think the vZone layer will closely mimic the pressure relief
that memory foam offers, so it will be a great option.
Can I say that I am really excited about getting a new
mattress?!
Because I am! :woohoo:

We are currently in the process of building a new House,
so we have a few more months before we get our new mattress,
but when we do - I will definitely update everyone with the
final choice!

Thanks again for creating and updating this AWESOME site -
I will make sure to let all my friends and family know about
it. It is scary how little one know about ā€œthe thingā€ the spend
a third of their life on!

You Rock! B)
Bessi

Hi Bessi,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site could help you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding when the time comes to pull the trigger.

Phoenix

I am a new member and am going to check out Beloit Mattress Company due to their listing on this site. I appreciate all the great information you have provided.

Hi xerry,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

You are also looking in a great direction and you will find your experience at Beloit much more enjoyable and educational than at most mainstream mattress stores.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!! ON MY WAY TO FINDING THE BEST MATTRESS IN THE GTA!

Hi MrTibi,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Youā€™ve probably seen this but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the GTA area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #1 here.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions that you may have along the way.

Phoenix

I am planning to buy a Synthetic Latex Mattress(King size, Firm) from below site
http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/9-inch-tri-comfort

Can you please provide your valuable opinion and also advise if there any better options available in Erie, PA 16506 area.

Thank you!

Hi KittyKat,

As you probably know from your reading here ā€¦ Brooklyn Bedding is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Post #13 here has more information about what I would consider to be the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you.

While only you can decide on which mattress is the most suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or which parts of your personal value equation are most important to you ā€¦ the tri-comfort certainly uses good quality materials and there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

The better local options in the Erie, PA area Iā€™m aware of that may also be worth considering on a ā€œmattress by mattressā€ basis (and subject to the guidelines in the tutorial post) are listed in post #313 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for prompt and quick reply :slight_smile:
Please advise if I can try any Latex Mattress in stores near Erie,PA area. I am not sure if Latex mattresses are available in store here.

Sorry Phoenix I just noticed that you have already provided options available in Erie, PA area.

Thanks! a bunch.