How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Forgot to add–are there any kinds of mattresses that are better/worse for dogs? She’s on the bed most nights (as well as the office chair most days–strangest dog ever.).

Hi smoneil,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

[quote]The 13" EcoGel2 mattress features:
2" layer of HourGlass Gel Topper on Gel Memory Foam
2" layer of 3# Gel Visco Layer Flat-Top Convoluted Foam
2" Comfort Layer of 1.8# Density Foam
7"-1.8# Density Foam
Dyna Flow Cooling Fabric with a sleek stretch fabric cover[/quote]

You can see the quality/durability guidelines I would suggest in post #4 here. The density of the top layer is missing so I can’t really make any meaningful comments about the durability of all the materials or the mattress as a whole. Assuming that you are in more average weight ranges this mattress has 2" of 3 lb convoluted memory foam in the top layers which is a lower density memory foam than I would be comfortable with and once you reach about 2" or more of lower quality/density materials it could be a potential weak link in the mattress in terms of durability. If the top 2" layer is also a lower density memory foam then it would be an even bigger issue in terms of durability.

[quote]The 11" EcoGel2 mattress features:
2" layer of HourGlass Gel Topper on Gel Memory Foam
1" layer of Visco 3# Density Foam
2" Comfort Layer of 1.8# Density Foam
6"-1.8# Density Foam

The 1" 3 lb memory foam layer by itself would be inside the guidelines I would suggest (no more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density or unknown materials) but once again if the top layer is also a lower density material then the two together would be more than I would suggest and I would consider it to be a weak link in the mattress.

[quote]The 9" EcoGel2 mattress features:
1" layer of HourGlass Gel Topper on Gel Memory Foam
3" Comfort Layer of 1.8# Density Foam
5"-1.8 Density Foam

With only one inch of memory foam in this mattress it would have more the more resilient “feel” of the polyfoam underneath it but since it only has 1" of lower quality or “unknown” materials this mattress would also be inside the guidelines I would suggest.

If you are in higher weight ranges (more than the lower 200’s or so) then I would look for polyfoam in the 2 lb range or higher or memory foam in the 5 lb range or higher and reduce or minimize the use of 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info! I’m trying to figure all of this out, but the various layers and what they mean is baffling at times. Are there any red flags in the construction of either of these mattresses from Jamestown? The gentleman in the store said that the first one would last significantly longer (the first one is about $1,000 more than the second one).

http://www.jamestownmattress.com/plus-latex-one-sided-heavenly-cloud-mattress/

jamestownmattress.com/quilted-top-one-sided-strata-classic-mattress/
ADMIN NOTE: Removed Footprint to Discontinued Product | Archived Footprint: jamestownmattress.com/quilted-top-one-sided-strata-classic-mattress/

Thanks!
Scott

Hi smoneil,

ADMIN NOTE: Removed Footprint to Discontinued Product | Archived Footprint: jamestownmattress.com/quilted-top-one-sided-strata-classic-mattress/

If you can provide me with the information in this article (making sure that the thickness of all the layers and components adds up to the thickness of the mattress) then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole”.

Phoenix

I’m looking at three models from Jamestown. I think I have all the information listed.

Option 1–Heavenly Cloud Plush Latex:

Layers (from the top)-- The top layer is A quilt-top with Paladin Fire Retardant Barrier, 2 inches Plush Polyurethane Foam and Stretch Circular Knit Fabric. The next layer (the Comfort/Padding layer) is 2 inches of “100% Natural Super Soft Latex” (I believe he said Dunlop–“ILD 14-16”). The next layer (the Core) is a 6 inch Latex core (100% Natural Medium Latex, “ILD 24-26”).
Total–12 inches in height. The one doesn’t seem to add up, as the 6 inch base, the 2 inch latex, and the 2 inch foam only adds up to 10 inches.

Option 2–Strata Classic Non-Quilted Top:

Layers (from the top)-- The top layer (the “top of Mattress”) is composed of 1 inch plush polyurethane foam, Paladin Fire Retardant Barrier, Polyester Fiber and Stretch Raised Circular Knit Fabric). The next layer (the Comfort/Padding layer) is made up of 2 inches of 3 pound memory foam and 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam. The base (Core) layer is made up of 5 inches of High Density Polyurethane Foam Core.
TOTAL–10 inch height (adds up, with 1 inch in the top, 4 in the middle, and 5 in the base).

Option 3–Nature’s Cloud Plush Latex:

Layers (from the top)–The top layer (Quilt/Top of the Mattress) is made up of 1 ounce of 100% Natural Joma Wool, Paladin Inherent Fire Retardant Barrier, another ounce of the Joma Wool (I think–it’s listed twice), and 100% organic Cotton Fabric. The next layer (the comfort/padding layer) is made up of 3 inches of 100% Natural Super Soft Latex (again, I believe he said Dunlap), “ILD 14-16.” The base/core/“Back Support” layer is 6 inches of 100% Natural Medium Latex Core (“ILD 24-26”).
TOTAL-- 10 inch height (seems to match up–the two base layers add up to 9 inches, plus the top layer).

All three are near the same price point. Options 1 and 3 are generally a thousand dollars more expensive than option 2, but they he has the floor models of those two for sale at a heavy discount. That actually brings up another question–is it a bad idea to buy a floor model? The store isn’t really that busy (I’ve been in to ask questions and look around several times now, and aside from one visit, I was the only customer there), so I can’t imagine TOO many people have been on them.

Hi smoneil,

[quote]Option 1–Heavenly Cloud Plush Latex:

Layers (from the top)-- The top layer is A quilt-top with Paladin Fire Retardant Barrier, 2 inches Plush Polyurethane Foam and Stretch Circular Knit Fabric. The next layer (the Comfort/Padding layer) is 2 inches of “100% Natural Super Soft Latex” (I believe he said Dunlop–“ILD 14-16”). The next layer (the Core) is a 6 inch Latex core (100% Natural Medium Latex, “ILD 24-26”).
Total–12 inches in height. The one doesn’t seem to add up, as the 6 inch base, the 2 inch latex, and the 2 inch foam only adds up to 10 inches.[/quote]

I agree that the layers don’t seem to add up to @ 12" but if these are all the layers then assuming that the top 2" plush polyfoam layer is less than 1.8 lbs density it would be “on the edge” of the quality/durability guidelines I would normally suggest which is “no more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density or unknown foam in the top layers of a mattress”. While it’s “not bad” compared to most mainstream mattresses … it’s a little thicker than I would be completely comfortable with.

[quote]Option 2–Strata Classic Non-Quilted Top:

Layers (from the top)-- The top layer (the “top of Mattress”) is composed of 1 inch plush polyurethane foam, Paladin Fire Retardant Barrier, Polyester Fiber and Stretch Raised Circular Knit Fabric). The next layer (the Comfort/Padding layer) is made up of 2 inches of 3 pound memory foam and 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam. The base (Core) layer is made up of 5 inches of High Density Polyurethane Foam Core.
TOTAL–10 inch height (adds up, with 1 inch in the top, 4 in the middle, and 5 in the base).[/quote]

The density of the 2" of gel memory foam is missing but even without it the 1" of plush polyfoam and the 2" of 3 lb polyfoam add up to a total of 3" of lower density or unknown foam and I would consider this to be a weak link in the mattress so I would be very cautious with this one.

[quote]Option 3–Nature’s Cloud Plush Latex:

Layers (from the top)–The top layer (Quilt/Top of the Mattress) is made up of 1 ounce of 100% Natural Joma Wool, Paladin Inherent Fire Retardant Barrier, another ounce of the Joma Wool (I think–it’s listed twice), and 100% organic Cotton Fabric. The next layer (the comfort/padding layer) is made up of 3 inches of 100% Natural Super Soft Latex (again, I believe he said Dunlap), “ILD 14-16.” The base/core/“Back Support” layer is 6 inches of 100% Natural Medium Latex Core (“ILD 24-26”).
TOTAL-- 10 inch height (seems to match up–the two base layers add up to 9 inches, plus the top layer).[/quote]

There are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in this mattress and if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Outside of how you feel about sleeping on a mattress that many other people have been lying on (some people would be very comfortable with this and others may not be) … I would also make sure that you are comfortable with purchasing a mattress that has no warranty. Most floor models are also a final sale and don’t have any options available after a purchase so you may also lose any comfort adjustments that would otherwise be available to you (I would check to confirm this). In other words it would depend on your confidence that the mattress was a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and that you wouldn’t need any fine tuning after your purchase and on whether the amount of the discount off the regular selling price was “enough” make up for any additional risks and was worth it to you. These are really “best judgement” choices that each person would need to decide for themselves based on their own “risk tolerance”.

Phoenix

Hello mattress lovers & supporters! I have been reading and researching for quite sometime and after all I’ve read and input into my brain, am feeling totally confused and overwhelmed! Please help…I need guidance!

My husband and I bought a queen Simmons Beautyrest interspring mattress 3 years ago and while we enjoy the pillow top and comfort, we need a king. Recently, we went to test mattress’ and “thought” we liked the contouring and comfort of the soft memory foams like Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Inspiration (soft) and the iComfort Savant Plush, but the price is higher than we’d like and have some major concerns on the durability of the products. We def like a softer mattress but not one we disappear into. After reading reviews about the Sealy Optimum I feel uneasy in a purchase because of the poor longevity ratings and sag issues within the first few years.
*The only plus is that we can finance a pricer bed (0% interest for 36 mo), whereas online is a one timer.

Then, I figured I’d look online…After reading here, and researching it seems the Novosbed Aria would be a good choice though some seem to not like product, or the Brooklyn Bed Medium but again sounds soft and supportive, but holds heat which is not something we want! Also, am really not familiar with latex mattresses.

-mainly side sleepers, some back & stomach
-never had memory foam or latex before but enjoy support and soft “cloud-like” feel
-toss and turners; up frequently
-dislike heat

• Hate firm anything!
    -durability, yet very comfortable

With hearing what we are looking for -ish, can anyone recommend a bed that would be well suited for our needs?

Thanks!

Hi parker25,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so your questions wouldn’t get mixed in with the questions from other forum members in a more general topic.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

As you can also see in the guidelines here … I would avoid the major brands such as Serta, Sealy, and Simmons and the chain stores that tend to focus on them along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information you need about the type and quality of the materials inside it to make an informed choice (see this article) or any mattress that uses lower quality materials than the suggestions in the quality/durability guidelines here so you can avoid buying a mattress that will soften or break down and need to be replaced much too quickly relative to the price you paid.

I would be very cautious about financing a mattress where the financing may last for longer than the mattress.

If you have never slept on memory foam or latex then I would make sure that you test out both types of mattresses in some local stores to get a general sense of what they feel like. Latex is very different from memory foam and there is more information about how they compare in post #2 here.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I’m not sure where you read that latex “holds heat” because latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the foam materials (latex foam, polyfoam, memory foam) so it would be much less likely that someone would have any temperature regulation issues with a mattress that has latex comfort layers than with other types of foam.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are also considering an online purchase then the tutorial post also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

Phoenix

you pretty much perfectly a described latex, test some out in a store that carries latex. Can’t go wrong with DreamFoam or FoamSweetFoam once you’ve decided if you want to go latex or not. I say go for it. Feels good.

I almost bought a memory foam mattress from Novosbed, but after I tested a latex mattress I was sold on that. I can’t compare my latex experiences with memory foam since I have never spent a night on a memory foam bed but I can tell you that I have not found my latex bed to sleep hot. I think I actually sleep cooler than the old polyfoam pillow top/coil springs I had. The nicest thing about the latex is that it feels soft, but still firm, in a supportive way. We have two 12" mattresses with layers of varying degrees of firmness and type (dunlop and talalay). Both of our top layers are a medium (28 ILD) talalay latex. Neither my husband or I ever feel like we sink in and he weighs about 275 lbs. Of course, our lower layers are firmer for support.

Before this purchase I was actually told by a mattress salesman, who didn’t carry latex mattresses, that latex slept really hot; much, much hotter than memory foam. I knew better from my research and now I know that latex sleeps just fine for us.

Thanks! I’d like to try Tuft and Needle!

Good luck. I looked at T&N early on but took them off my list because I didn’t want a mattress that was manufactured with 100% petro chemicals. They do off a good price though. I just encourage you to air that mattress out for a day or so before you sleep on it.

+1 on airing it out

Not sure how toxic it is but I went in knowing about the smell. We needed a bed quick but roughed it on a twin sofa bed for 2-3 nights more to let the T&N mattress breathe. A week in, my sheets smell like the mattress. I hope it came out in the laundry today. Other than that, no complaints.

Personally I love Memory Foam mattresses, superior level of comfort B)

Hi Superan,

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

@ mdgail1,

The majority of the layers and components in every one of the mattresses on your list here primarily use “petrochemicals” just like Tuft & Needle.

@ orkan,

The foams are CertiPUR certified and have been tested for harful substances and VOC’s so they aren’t “toxic” but it can take a few days for the initial smell of a new mattress to dissipate. For most people it takes less than a week for the smell to diminish to levels that they don’t notice and washing your sheets should remove any smell from them as well.

Phoenix

I do hope the smell dissipates soon. The reviews I read on T&N gave it a week. Maybe I’m a bit more sensitive to the smell. Also, I’m not at home everyday so haven’t been accustomed to it yet. But it is troubling to hear how some mattress materials break down :pinch:

Anyone knows if the Berkeley Ergonomics headquarters has a showroom and sales outlet?

Hi orkan,

I hope so too but as you mentioned some people are more sensitive than others so it can take a little longer (and it can also vary from mattress to mattress as well) but the smell should be gone soon.

The use of lower quality and less durable materials is certanly an issue in the industry but the good news is that the Tuft & Needle uses good quality materials and there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern in terms of durability.

Yes they do but it’s open by appointment only. There is also a list of retailers that carry Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses in post #12 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for this post, lots of great helpful information. Will help me in my next purchase.

Hi wassily,

I’m glad that the tutorial was helpful :).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Mr Phoenix,
I have been in search of “perfect mattress” which I used to sleep in 20 years ago with my 1st husband. Since I left him, I slept in mattress with spring, gel form mattress, futon, cheap foam mattress, military tent bed, carpet floor, and my office coach. I asked my ex what was the mattress we used to sleep together. He threw that mattress away and he told me he did not know. He said, it was “orthopedic mattress.” That mattress never drag the partner towards the other like spring mattress. It did not leave bed “depress” where you sleep like spring mattress. I used to sleep well and wake up refreshed. After doing some research, I found out that “perfect mattress” must be latex mattress. I checked many places, from Sears, overstock.com, canadian bedding company, etc., After reading few articles and checking public review, “dream foam” latex mattress was the best in term of review, service and price. Latex mattress from a canadian company was about $4000. Dreamfoam price was fantastic with online discount. I wanted “firm” mattress, so with advice of Chuck, I ordered “3”. If it is too firm, I can use topper. I also bought their foldable metal foundation box. I liked their design. My order should be coming soon and I am looking forward to sleeping on it. I will give followup on my experience.