How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Good luck. I looked at T&N early on but took them off my list because I didnā€™t want a mattress that was manufactured with 100% petro chemicals. They do off a good price though. I just encourage you to air that mattress out for a day or so before you sleep on it.

+1 on airing it out

Not sure how toxic it is but I went in knowing about the smell. We needed a bed quick but roughed it on a twin sofa bed for 2-3 nights more to let the T&N mattress breathe. A week in, my sheets smell like the mattress. I hope it came out in the laundry today. Other than that, no complaints.

Personally I love Memory Foam mattresses, superior level of comfort B)

Hi Superan,

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

@ mdgail1,

The majority of the layers and components in every one of the mattresses on your list here primarily use ā€œpetrochemicalsā€ just like Tuft & Needle.

@ orkan,

The foams are CertiPUR certified and have been tested for harful substances and VOCā€™s so they arenā€™t ā€œtoxicā€ but it can take a few days for the initial smell of a new mattress to dissipate. For most people it takes less than a week for the smell to diminish to levels that they donā€™t notice and washing your sheets should remove any smell from them as well.

Phoenix

I do hope the smell dissipates soon. The reviews I read on T&N gave it a week. Maybe Iā€™m a bit more sensitive to the smell. Also, Iā€™m not at home everyday so havenā€™t been accustomed to it yet. But it is troubling to hear how some mattress materials break down :pinch:

Anyone knows if the Berkeley Ergonomics headquarters has a showroom and sales outlet?

Hi orkan,

I hope so too but as you mentioned some people are more sensitive than others so it can take a little longer (and it can also vary from mattress to mattress as well) but the smell should be gone soon.

The use of lower quality and less durable materials is certanly an issue in the industry but the good news is that the Tuft & Needle uses good quality materials and there arenā€™t any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern in terms of durability.

Yes they do but itā€™s open by appointment only. There is also a list of retailers that carry Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses in post #12 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for this post, lots of great helpful information. Will help me in my next purchase.

Hi wassily,

Iā€™m glad that the tutorial was helpful :).

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Mr Phoenix,
I have been in search of ā€œperfect mattressā€ which I used to sleep in 20 years ago with my 1st husband. Since I left him, I slept in mattress with spring, gel form mattress, futon, cheap foam mattress, military tent bed, carpet floor, and my office coach. I asked my ex what was the mattress we used to sleep together. He threw that mattress away and he told me he did not know. He said, it was ā€œorthopedic mattress.ā€ That mattress never drag the partner towards the other like spring mattress. It did not leave bed ā€œdepressā€ where you sleep like spring mattress. I used to sleep well and wake up refreshed. After doing some research, I found out that ā€œperfect mattressā€ must be latex mattress. I checked many places, from Sears, overstock.com, canadian bedding company, etc., After reading few articles and checking public review, ā€œdream foamā€ latex mattress was the best in term of review, service and price. Latex mattress from a canadian company was about $4000. Dreamfoam price was fantastic with online discount. I wanted ā€œfirmā€ mattress, so with advice of Chuck, I ordered ā€œ3ā€. If it is too firm, I can use topper. I also bought their foldable metal foundation box. I liked their design. My order should be coming soon and I am looking forward to sleeping on it. I will give followup on my experience.

Hi sorensthomas,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

This site has been a great help in making sense of mattress shopping.

I have been sleeping on a very very cheap $100 foam bed for the last 5 years (not sure how I survived honestly!) And now that Iā€™m moving out, Iā€™m looking forward to getting a quality mattress thatā€™ll last me and boyfriend a long time.

We first started testing beds at Sears, and was going by the subjective feel of the mattress. I like to be informed about what Iā€™m spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on, so I decided to look for reviews for the Kingsdown mattress we liked and found this amazing forum (bye bye sucky Kingsdown!)

I saw that the Sleep Boutique is close to where we live, so weā€™ll be making a trip there and hopefully thereā€™s something that fits us there.

Thanks again for all the great information youā€™ve provided on your site!

Hi chillasourus,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

As you know you are certainly heading in a good direction and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

2.5 lb poly foam with ild 50 is good for heavy people. Remember poly foam softens 20 percent

Hi Sleepy103114,

As a base layer perhaps ā€¦ but I certainly wouldnā€™t use it as a comfort layer and of course it will also depend on all the other layers and components in the mattress as well since every layer and component in a mattress will affect the feel and performance of every other layer above and below it.

That would depend on the specifics and the density of the polyfoam and on its position inside a mattress and the layers that are above it. Some polyfoam will soften more than that.

Phoenix

Hi thereā€¦

I live in NE Phoenix. What is your opinion of The Mattress Factoryā€™s "Premier Latex Encased Coil set?? Premier Latex Encased Coil Mattress ā€“ Mattress Factory Inc.

I am beyond sleep deprived & frustrated with a necessary mattress purchase to replace an overpriced (didnā€™t know any better) Memory Foam mattress from Macyā€™s. I was two clicks away from ordering a Saatva then came across and joined your site after googling reviews.

M

Hi Mrsbitterchef,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I switched your post to a new topic of its own since your question was outside the scope of the more general topic you originally posted in.

I donā€™t know the specifics of the materials inside the mattress you are asking about and they arenā€™t listed on their website but if you can find out the information listed here and post it on the forum Iā€™d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€ and let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern. Without this information and knowing the type and quality of the materials inside a mattress itā€™s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the mattress.

You may have seen this already but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Phoenix area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thank youā€¦I made a checklist of your guidelines. Actually, mattress factory was listed (not members) in your post #4: https://www.mattressfactoryinc.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Phoenix. Have been making mattresses for about 20 years and make innersprings, latex, and memory foam including Talalay. Primarily sells to retail stores but also has a showroom and will sell factory direct.

I will call them later today (referencing your guidelines). I did take this right of their site, do you see any obvious weakness or something in particular I should ask about: ABOVE THE ENCASED COIL SPRING THERE IS A 1" PIECE OF MEDIUM FIRM HIGH DENSITY FOAM TO SEAL THE SPRING UNIT. ABOVE THAT IS 3" OF 100% NATURAL LATEX. THE QUILT WHICH GOES ON TOP OF THE LATEX CONSISTS OF 3/4"SUPER SOFT FOAM 1" OF DACRON 1/4" FIRE RETARDANT ( BY LAW). ABOVE THAT IS THE LUXURIOUS COTTON AND POLYESTER MATERIAL. BLENDED TOGETHER FOR A SUPERIOR FEEL. THE ENCASED COIL SPRING IS TOTALLY ENCASED IN A HIGH DENSITY WRAP AROUND FOAM ENCLOSURE, PROVIDING A FIRM 360 DEGREE COMFORTABLE BORDER SUPPORT.

MATTRESS DESCRIPTION

MATTRESS HEIGHT 15"

Mrsbitterchef,

I would need to know the information listed here before it would be possible to make any meaningful comments about the mattress.

Phoenix

Legacy Latex ā€“ Mattress Factory Inc. All LATEX MATTRESS

Hi,
I spoke to Jim (owner) and tried my best to get the correct data:
Thickness of layers for a 10inch mattress:
Top quilt is 1/2inch 100% cotton quilted to 1.5inch of 100% natural latex foam.
Then the 6 inch core of 100% natural latex (donā€™t know where the other 2 inches are?)

He said he needed to reference the lbs/cu ft but that there was no polyfoam or memory foam-ALL 100% NATURAL LATEX Talalay

Can you shed some light?