How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

This site has been a great help in making sense of mattress shopping.

I have been sleeping on a very very cheap $100 foam bed for the last 5 years (not sure how I survived honestly!) And now that Iā€™m moving out, Iā€™m looking forward to getting a quality mattress thatā€™ll last me and boyfriend a long time.

We first started testing beds at Sears, and was going by the subjective feel of the mattress. I like to be informed about what Iā€™m spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on, so I decided to look for reviews for the Kingsdown mattress we liked and found this amazing forum (bye bye sucky Kingsdown!)

I saw that the Sleep Boutique is close to where we live, so weā€™ll be making a trip there and hopefully thereā€™s something that fits us there.

Thanks again for all the great information youā€™ve provided on your site!

Hi chillasourus,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

As you know you are certainly heading in a good direction and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

2.5 lb poly foam with ild 50 is good for heavy people. Remember poly foam softens 20 percent

Hi Sleepy103114,

As a base layer perhaps ā€¦ but I certainly wouldnā€™t use it as a comfort layer and of course it will also depend on all the other layers and components in the mattress as well since every layer and component in a mattress will affect the feel and performance of every other layer above and below it.

That would depend on the specifics and the density of the polyfoam and on its position inside a mattress and the layers that are above it. Some polyfoam will soften more than that.

Phoenix

Hi thereā€¦

I live in NE Phoenix. What is your opinion of The Mattress Factoryā€™s "Premier Latex Encased Coil set?? Premier Latex Encased Coil Mattress ā€“ Mattress Factory Inc.

I am beyond sleep deprived & frustrated with a necessary mattress purchase to replace an overpriced (didnā€™t know any better) Memory Foam mattress from Macyā€™s. I was two clicks away from ordering a Saatva then came across and joined your site after googling reviews.

M

Hi Mrsbitterchef,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I switched your post to a new topic of its own since your question was outside the scope of the more general topic you originally posted in.

I donā€™t know the specifics of the materials inside the mattress you are asking about and they arenā€™t listed on their website but if you can find out the information listed here and post it on the forum Iā€™d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€ and let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern. Without this information and knowing the type and quality of the materials inside a mattress itā€™s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the mattress.

You may have seen this already but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Phoenix area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thank youā€¦I made a checklist of your guidelines. Actually, mattress factory was listed (not members) in your post #4: https://www.mattressfactoryinc.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Phoenix. Have been making mattresses for about 20 years and make innersprings, latex, and memory foam including Talalay. Primarily sells to retail stores but also has a showroom and will sell factory direct.

I will call them later today (referencing your guidelines). I did take this right of their site, do you see any obvious weakness or something in particular I should ask about: ABOVE THE ENCASED COIL SPRING THERE IS A 1" PIECE OF MEDIUM FIRM HIGH DENSITY FOAM TO SEAL THE SPRING UNIT. ABOVE THAT IS 3" OF 100% NATURAL LATEX. THE QUILT WHICH GOES ON TOP OF THE LATEX CONSISTS OF 3/4"SUPER SOFT FOAM 1" OF DACRON 1/4" FIRE RETARDANT ( BY LAW). ABOVE THAT IS THE LUXURIOUS COTTON AND POLYESTER MATERIAL. BLENDED TOGETHER FOR A SUPERIOR FEEL. THE ENCASED COIL SPRING IS TOTALLY ENCASED IN A HIGH DENSITY WRAP AROUND FOAM ENCLOSURE, PROVIDING A FIRM 360 DEGREE COMFORTABLE BORDER SUPPORT.

MATTRESS DESCRIPTION

MATTRESS HEIGHT 15"

Mrsbitterchef,

I would need to know the information listed here before it would be possible to make any meaningful comments about the mattress.

Phoenix

Legacy Latex ā€“ Mattress Factory Inc. All LATEX MATTRESS

Hi,
I spoke to Jim (owner) and tried my best to get the correct data:
Thickness of layers for a 10inch mattress:
Top quilt is 1/2inch 100% cotton quilted to 1.5inch of 100% natural latex foam.
Then the 6 inch core of 100% natural latex (donā€™t know where the other 2 inches are?)

He said he needed to reference the lbs/cu ft but that there was no polyfoam or memory foam-ALL 100% NATURAL LATEX Talalay

Can you shed some light?

Hi Mrsbitterchef,

The mattress you linked was 15" not 10 so Iā€™m not sure if you are talking about a different mattress or the mattress you linked originally.

If you are looking at a different mattress that is 10" thick and all the layers are latex then there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress but I would make sure that the specs you are given add up to the thickness of the mattress.

With latex knowing the density isnā€™t important (only with polyfoam and memory foam) and all I would want to know is the type (Talalay or Dunlop) and the blend (the approximate percentage of synthetic and natural rubber) which they included.

You can also confirm that there is no polyfoam or memory foam in a mattress by looking at the law tag and if itā€™s all latex the law tag should say so.

Phoenix

Hi there,

The first mattress I referenced was the Latex Innerspring combo (15"), but my recent post linked: Legacy Latex ā€“ Mattress Factory Inc. This is a 10 inch mattress and the owner Jim accounted for 8 inches of that with 2 inches being the soft latex foam quilted to 100% cotton and 6 for the latex core. I do not know where the last 2 inches can be accounted for to add up to 10?

This bed is 100% natural Talalay latex (no synthetic rubber or blend)ā€¦ Thank you again!!

Hi Mrsbitterchef,

I would want to know what was in the missing 2" partly to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses and partly because itā€™s possible that 2" of a lower quality and less durable material could be a weak link in the mattress. I would always make sure that the specs and layer thicknesses add up to the thickness of the mattress (within about 1/2" or so to account for normal variations in thickness and cover materials).

The choice between different types and blends of latex is generally a preference and budget choice but 100% natural Talalay is certainly a high quality material. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Hello,
my husband and I are looking to buy a new mattress. He suggested to find a forum and I found this one. He is not comfortable buying from a big retailer. After reading this thread, I will have to agree with him. Does anybody know of a local manufacturer in the Dallas/Forth Worth area?
Thank you so much,
Maria

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Dallas/Ft Worth areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hello,
I need to purchase new mattresses for my family. After lots of research, I decided that I would like to buy latex mattresses with wool and cotton as the natural fire retardant protection. I have looked at flo beds, plush beds and many other companies. I read a post here about the difference between latex that comes from the US compared with latex from Malaysia. The poster mentioned that itā€™s not necessarily natural even though it may be stated by the company. They settled on a mattress from green sleep. I was wondering if there were any other companies I should be looking atā€¦ I have several beds that I to need to purchase so cost is a consideration. It is a huge decision and I want to get it right. Can I please get some guidance on selecting a mattress that is 100% real deal latex, I donā€™t want hybrid or anything unnatural as I am concerned about off gassing. Thank you so much., I really appreciate the help.

Hi CarrieP,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it wouldnā€™t get mixed in with many other posts in a more general topic.

Iā€™m assuming that youā€™ve read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here and a forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. They use good quality and durable materials in their mattresses (natural or organic Dunlop and Talalay latex) and they would certainly be a ā€œbetter than averageā€ choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. They do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention for those that are looking for a latex mattress. They are also in a higher budget range than many other similar mattresses so I would make some careful ā€œvalue comparisonsā€ with some of the other component latex options that are available to you.

Flobeds is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They have some unique designs including their vZone (see post #4 here) which allows you to customize the zoning of the mattress not just the layering. A forum search on Flobeds (you can just click this link as well) will also bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice. Most of the latex that comes from Malaysia would be 100% natural Dunlop but the best source of information about the type and blend of latex in any particular mattress would be the retailer or manufacturer that sells it ā€¦ assuming that they are knowledgeable and transparent about the materials in their mattresses.

Any type of latex (synthetic or natural) is ā€œrealā€ latex. All of the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable safety certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very ā€œsafeā€ material in terms of harmful substances and VOCā€™s.

If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

If you are also considering online options then the tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including organic Dunlop latex) that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs and any firmness level options they have to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for all your help. I will look at the suggested links. I live in Burlington MA 01803.

Thanks so much,

Carrie

Hi CarrieP,

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Boston, MA area that would include Burlington, MA (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

You certainly have some good options available in the area and I would make sure that you include a trip to Spindle Mattress who is one of the members of this site and sells a great quality/value component latex mattress that uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex that is made in the US (by Mountaintop latex) and has a wool quilted organic cotton cover.

Phoenix

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in and say thank you, I have been researching to no end mattressā€™s, suppliers, materials and this has been a great resource.

'I canā€™t tell you how much bad information exists in this area with such a lack of science and unbiased education. My wife and I have had a tempurpedic for 4 years and I have connected chronic hamstring problems to a lack of support. so we started searching for a bed with more support since running and ultra runs are core to our life.

after looking at different types, we tried a casper and many others, finally we settled on what I hope is our last choice. I just ordered from FloBeds and not astrabeds. I can thank you for that choice as Astrabeds has a pretty savvy marketing arm putting lots of lipstick on the pig(in terms of what they promise vs what they deliver). I should get my Flobed next week, I will update with my experience. I have returned my casper and others as it was frankly pretty bad in terms of comfort. Casper was awesome with service though, I will give them thatā€¦

Thanks again for all your Work Phoenix.