How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi,

I am still on my journey to find the right matress. We visited Spindle and Kim was very informative, friendly and helpful. I wanted to find out what ingredients that make up the five percent in the matress. Kin said that the manufacturer does not tell them exactly what is used other than a list of things like zinc oxide, fatty acid soaps.

If I go ahead with a purchase I want to be confident there is nothing I should be concerned about. What are your thoughts?

The matress felt very comfortable but I am just making sure the choice of Dunlop over talalay is a sensible one. Flo beds and Plush are quite a bit more money. Is it worth paying more? Itā€™s difficult because we canā€™t test them to seeā€¦ What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Carrie

Hi CarrieP,

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very ā€œsafeā€ material in terms of harmful substances and VOCā€™s.

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is a preference choice rather than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice but there is more about the differences between them in post # here. The only reliable way to know which one you would tend to prefer would be based on your own testing or personal experiences on a range of mattresses that used each of them.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between ā€œgood and goodā€ and none of them have any lower quality materials or ā€œweak linksā€ in their design relative to your weight range (which they donā€™t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on ā€œinformed best judgementā€ based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Okay,

I gotta say this, - this truly is the most confusing, hard to follow, look here and look there, then check here, and be sure to go there; forum I have seen in my life! I read so much I felt ill. Trying to cypher it all out just made it worse. I know all you people put in countless hours of research, footwork, time, effort, and then to sit down and put it all to words; is well; unreal! And I congratulate each and every one of you for this loyalty to whom ever or/ and your cause.

Butā€¦like I stated, this is by far the most confusing site Iā€™ve ever run into. With that being said, Iā€™m going to leave this really great site, because quit frankly I do not have the time or patience to go through every thing there is to go through!

Call me what you will, but some just need a ā€œlittle guidanceā€ and not the "Britannica Encyclopedia " to go through. Iā€™m a ā€œjust a little bitā€ one. I get overwhelmed at times, tends to happens with brain tumors. So, itā€™s been fun, a lot of info and all, and I can see a lot of people just trying to do what is right by all.

I wish you all much success and luck in your endeavors!!

BJ

Hi BJ,

In its simplest form ā€¦ choosing the ā€œbest possibleā€ mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then ā€¦

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP ā€¦ and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or ā€œfine tuneā€ the mattress and any costs involved if you canā€™t test a mattress in person or arenā€™t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for ā€œvalueā€ based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Hope thatā€™s simple enough for you :slight_smile:

Good luck in your search.

Phoenix

PS: I transferred your last reply into your original topic.

I have read your info on line. We have been to about 6 stores in Los Angeles/ Valley area but do not find a store where we can talk intelligently about the mattress. Can you recommend a store in Sherman Oaks , Hollywood, Santa Monica, West LA etc which has an expert on finding a natural mattress with good support and comfort , and discuss the options for split king with zero gravity

Hi milan,

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Many thanks for this site. I spent a few days reading and making notes. Heading out today on our first shopping visits to check out what is available in our price range. I really appreciated your review of materials and core vs support parts of a mattress. Good to know we have a decent chance to get a solidly good to great quality bed given our budget restrictions.

Hi MegCA1234,

Welcome ā€¦ and good luck in your search :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course to any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Thanks for this great site! I finally registered, after reading it for the past 6 months, and dragged my husband down to CozyPure in Norfolk, VA to talk with the experts there and test a few out this past weekend. We are fairly sure weā€™ve found the solution we needed, and CozyPure has already been very helpful answering all the random questions Iā€™ve thrown at them. Thanks for all your hard workā€“until your site, I was ready to just buy whatever I found first, because Iā€™d pretty much given up on being comfortable at night.

Hi s3rndpt,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :).

As you know Cozy Pure is one of the members of the site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and you are certainly looking in a great direction.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

This forum is amazing. Thanks for all the information posted. Now time for me to narrow down the choicesā€¦:slight_smile:

Hi jinhamasaki,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course to any comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the other more knowledgeable members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for creating this site. I have been doing a lot of research over the past several months while looking for a new mattress and this forum has been extremely helpful!

Hi tastywheat,

Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Good luck in your search and Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

I joined this forum to help find a new mattress as well! Definitely one of those things that start to make my head spin with how much information is out there. Glad forums like this exist to help sort it all out!

Hi Gordo,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Consider the following tips while buying a safe baby mattress for your newborn infant.
1ā€¦Look for quality.
1.Buy new.-Used crib mattresses may increase risk of SIDS
2.Avoid air and water mattresses
3.Make sure the mattress is a snug fit
4.More Firm, Better Safety:-Firm is good because too soft a surface can conform to a babyā€™s shape and create a suffocation and SIDS hazard
5.Donā€™t worry about warranties.- focus more on the quality instead of warranty period

Source: http://thebestbabycribs.com/best-baby-crib-mattress-reviews/

The three layers in your Onebed ā€“ latex, memory foam and high-density polyurethane foam, work together, with each layer addressing a different need. The team is excellent and has put much time and effort into producing a mattress that provides comfort, and manages support, temperature and durability. Being a Brisbane based company; all of the orders are shipped directly from within the country. This ensures that you receive your mattress without delay. Purchase your Onebed, and receive it within a few days, no matter where you are in Australia from Know more about the Mattress store here.

My first postā€¦just wanted to join the many others here and say thank you so much for taking the time to make all of this information available to the consumer. It is so helpful, especially in a market as important as what we sleep on for a third of our life! :slight_smile:

Hi AintNoZinBoise,

Welcome :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and to any comments or questions you may have along the way as well.

Based on your username Iā€™m guessing youā€™re in Boise so subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Boise area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix