How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

I joined this forum to help find a new mattress as well! Definitely one of those things that start to make my head spin with how much information is out there. Glad forums like this exist to help sort it all out!

Hi Gordo,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Consider the following tips while buying a safe baby mattress for your newborn infant.
1ā€¦Look for quality.
1.Buy new.-Used crib mattresses may increase risk of SIDS
2.Avoid air and water mattresses
3.Make sure the mattress is a snug fit
4.More Firm, Better Safety:-Firm is good because too soft a surface can conform to a babyā€™s shape and create a suffocation and SIDS hazard
5.Donā€™t worry about warranties.- focus more on the quality instead of warranty period

Source: http://thebestbabycribs.com/best-baby-crib-mattress-reviews/

The three layers in your Onebed ā€“ latex, memory foam and high-density polyurethane foam, work together, with each layer addressing a different need. The team is excellent and has put much time and effort into producing a mattress that provides comfort, and manages support, temperature and durability. Being a Brisbane based company; all of the orders are shipped directly from within the country. This ensures that you receive your mattress without delay. Purchase your Onebed, and receive it within a few days, no matter where you are in Australia from Know more about the Mattress store here.

My first postā€¦just wanted to join the many others here and say thank you so much for taking the time to make all of this information available to the consumer. It is so helpful, especially in a market as important as what we sleep on for a third of our life! :slight_smile:

Hi AintNoZinBoise,

Welcome :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and to any comments or questions you may have along the way as well.

Based on your username Iā€™m guessing youā€™re in Boise so subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Boise area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Guys,

Iā€™m new to this forum also. I must say you guys have been more than helpful with your knowledge of mattresses. I live in the UK and have been struggling to find a mattress, due to there being such a vast range. I managed to narrow my search down using tips from your mattress forum and I have been lucky enough to find a mattress in a local store - then find the exact same mattress online at BedSOS for cheaper. They even offered me free next day delivery, which I thought was great service. Iā€™m scheduled for delivery on Friday (due to work commitments) but I canā€™t wait to get a relaxing/ restful sleep on my new mattress!

Thanks again guys for all your help and advice.

Elle :slight_smile:

This is the perfect guide for anyone who dosent know what mattress to choose.
Great work Pheonix.

Phoenix,
I appreciate the thoroughness of your articles and wish I had read them before I bought a king size Tempurpedic mattress 6 years ago. I have spinal issues and was not finding it comfortable anymore so I purchased a Posturpedic pillow top mattress for the ā€œguestā€ room. Iā€™m finding I spend more time sleeping in the guest room now. What about these sleep number beds?
Thanks!!

Hi sleepy64,

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in general in this article. While any mattress can be a good match for a specific person because each personā€™s needs and preferences or the criteria that are most important to them can be very different ā€¦ in general terms I would tend to avoid them unless there is a very compelling reason that an airbed would be a better choice in ā€œreal lifeā€ (outside of the many ā€œmarketing storiesā€ that you will hear about them) than the many other options or types of mattresses that are available to you. For those that are committed to an airbed and are convinced that there are no other types of mattresses that will meet their criteria then there are some other airbed options that are listed in post #3 here that may be much better quality/value choices than Sleep Number/Select Comfort.

Phoenix

Great and informative info. I have a tendancy to over analyze purchases since there is so much info on the net and finding this site kept me from looking any further! I really appreciated all the comments posted by the folks that have purchased Latex Mattresses and their results. Iā€™m a believer!
How do I get the discont when purchasing from Sleep EZ?

Hi RVALarry,

You just need to let them know (with a phone call or email) that you are a member of the forum here.

If you are buying a latex mattress from SleepEZ then you are certainly making a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out which of their mattresses you end up purchasing and of course to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks for this tips actually I just purchased the mattress last month. After reading this i can say i followed all most all steps of this tutorial. Also i found the discount code for buyin mattress. I was looking for the mattress at Dreams online store and for that i wanted to have a discount code as well. So I found the site name VoucherShops and there i got the dreams discount code and i saved 10%.

Thank you so much for this forum. Weā€™re on vacation and finally able to try some organic latex mattresses since there are none near where we live. Having the information from youā€™re site has helped us know what to look for and questions to ask. Iā€™m still nervous about making the correct choice for our comfort after reading about so many who had to return layers to end up with something they are happy with. Iā€™d have a hard time spending so much and then not end up feeling wonderful!
We were most comfortable on the firm, medium, soft dunlap and a soft talalay topper. Just couldnā€™t afford an extra $1000 for the topper from the local store. Your site helped us find Sleep EZ and its a much less expensive option. Iā€™m hoping this post will qualify us for the discount

Hi GritsRN63,

Thank you ā€“ youā€™re very welcome. :wink:

Itā€™s a sad thing to admit, but after spending just a few hours on this forum, you already know more than most people trying to sell you a mattress in the big chain stores in industry. Good for you!

You just need to let SleepEZ know by phoning or emailing that you are a member of the forum to get your discount. I think you already know I think highly of SleepEZ and that they compete well with the best in the industry in quality of product, knowledge, and transparency.

Good job!

Phoenix

SleepEZ has truly been the best for us! Son and us both.

Phoenix is a great guy.
Cannot Thank him enough.
Hope you got credit for it!

Hi bunny1999,

Thank you for the kind words! Weā€™re always happy to be of assistance.

Phoenix

Informative post.You must always test the mattress before buying it.Though buying evevrything online seems much more convenient when it comes to furniture you must always buy it from the store to ensure that you get good quality ones. Here is a blog I found that mentioned some tips on how to buy a good mattress ( Blog ). Budget maybe a problem but it is always better to select good quality mattresses to make it last in the long run.

Thanks for maintaining such a great resource Phoenix.
I was hoping you could provide your recommendation for a suitable mattress for an AirBnB property in Sydney, Australia.

My key requirements are:

• Comfort for the widest range of preferences
  • Durability and quality, natural materials if appropriate
  • Not too heavy for ease of bed making due to access constraints
  • Suitable for use with a platform bed (no slats)

I am thinking I will use a local mattress factory but would appreciate your guidance on what layers and specs would be suitable. I am currently leaning towards a pocket sprung design with latex and wool comfort layer. Something like the Grand, Eurocomfort or Platinum on this page:
http://www.rockdalemattressfactory.com.au/product.php?cat=pocket-spring

If there are any factories or suppliers youā€™d recommend in Sydney Iā€™d love to hear about them.

Hi rvpfh,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for maintaining such a great resource Phoenix.

Youā€™re welcome, mate! :cheer:

[quote]I was hoping you could provide your recommendation for a suitable mattress for an AirBnB property in Sydney, Australia.
My key requirements are:

• Comfort for the widest range of preferences
  • Durability and quality, natural materials if appropriate
  • Not too heavy for ease of bed making due to access constraints
  • Suitable for use with a platform bed (no slats)[/quote]

I donā€™t have any personal recommendations or members of the forum in Australia, as this forum is primarily focused upon North America, but I certainly can offer you some guidelines.

The first thing I would do would be to find out the information listed here of any mattress youā€™re considering so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase for your AirBnB property.

Regarding comfort for the widest range of individuals, I would suggest you consider mimicking what some of the larger and nicer hotels do in the industry, and they tend to stick with more traditional designs (innersprings) with firmer (higher ILD) foams on top. It is common for contract bedding to be changed out every 3-5 years (Iā€™m not sure of the use your property will have), so they donā€™t tend to use higher-density foams (cost is of course an issue as well).

For surface comfort, because the mattresses they use tend to be a bit on the firm side, top-of-bed products are commonly used to provide an inexpensive and replaceable plushness. Here in the USA, American Hotel Register Company is a common supplier for products such as this. There are even some products termed as ā€œstrap-on pillowtopsā€ for some extra plushness.

As for durability, you would use the guidelines I linked to previously regarding density of foams. If youā€™re looking for more ā€œnaturalā€ materials, you certainly could focus on latex for your comfort layers and cotton/wool for your mattress covering. There is a company here in the USA that does a bit of ā€œcontractā€ bedding, and they have some examples of items they offer in springs and foams here and here.

Most any mattress you consider will work just find on a hard, firm and flat surface.

The mattresses you mentioned arenā€™t provided with complete details on the Rockdale web site, but what they do list seems to be durable and better quality materials (latex and springs). Youā€™d of course want to try out these items in person and also perhaps along with any top-of-bed products that you might be considering. Again, Iā€™d lean toward a bit of a firmer mattress that could be customized a bit with added toppers/pads for plushness.

Also, good edge reinforcement is something that hotels consider important.

Good luck in your search!

Phoenix