How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Thanks for a great site and a ton of useful information.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a question (I canā€™t seem to find a ā€œnew topicā€ tab in the main forum space) but I wanted to ask for a latex topper recommendation.

For a couple of years weā€™ve been sleeping on a 3" Rejuvenite Talalay latex topper (I think it was rated around 19 ILD). Itā€™s comfortable but I feel I sink into it a little too much ā€“ Iā€™m a back and stomach sleeper mostly ā€“ and think Iā€™d prefer something more solid or dense without being so hard itā€™s uncomfortable.

Any suggestions as to medium or firm? Iā€™ve also considered Dunlop as opposed to Talalay.

Thanks for your help!

Hey bedheaded,

Maybe these guidelines from Talalay Global for their Talalay latex with word softness associations will be helpful to you for ILDs:
14 - Super Plush
19 - Plush
24 - Soft
28 - Medium
32 - Firm
36 - Extra Firm / Base Core
40-44 - Extra Firm / Base Core

14 to 32 are usually used for comfort layers or toppers from them. If you want to sink in a bit less and sleep on your stomach a bit more frequently (but still some on your back), something around a 28 ILD might be a good start to test out. But your overall feel is also determined by the mattress beneath the topper.

I hope that helps.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Mattress To Go

Hi, according to me if I want to buy something i would first see the reviews of the product thats where i get to know how benificial it was for the users

Phoenix,
This is my first time on this site, which is the best Iā€™ve found for information, so please excuse me if Iā€™m in the wrong forum or ask too many odd or dumb questions.

We have a 12 year old king mattress and box springs combination that has begun to break down. Weā€™re interested in trying a latex mattress in split king on an adjustable base but canā€™t find a company here in Jacksonville, Florida that carries latex mattresses so we can try one. Weā€™ll be in the San Francisco area (more specifically, Novato/San Rafael). Is there a dealer there who carries latex? Long ago we lived in the Bay Area and Sleep Train carried latex but it has been bought out by another company that seems to have stopped carrying it.

With an adjustable base is a foundation necessary or possible under a latex mattress? Iā€™m asking because our mattress/box springs together sit pretty high and a mattress alone might be too thin to look right. A topper would add two or three inches but that still leaves several inches to make up.

Weā€™re in our 60s and have had knee and hip replacements but have no related pains in bed. Our traditional setup is, I believe, a medium firmness and that seems to work for us. Long ago we bought a traditional mattress from Sleep Train and in the process looked at latex. One thing I remember is that some of the latex mattresses had a firm vertical component on the sides to prevent sagging when sitting on the side. Is this still a consideration?

It looks like Vennhaven will be our choice (but weā€™re open to suggestions - our main considerations are cool sleeping and comfort and cost, of course), is there an adjustable base that works best for that brand? We donā€™t need all the bells and whistles such as under bed lighting and vibrating base. I think I understand that at least some adjustable units fit into/onto a regular bed frame so we can still use our headboard and footboard; is this is so? Iā€™m guessing that a base that fits in or on a traditional frame will add three or four inches of height - yes?

This is dumb, but my wife is concerned about being able to make up the split king mattresses. My supposition is that weā€™d just revise the head to improve accessibility and ease of fitting the sheets. Suggestions?

Thanks for bearing with me.

ā€” Bruce

Thanks so much for your help, Jeff!

Bruce,

Iā€™m not Phoenix, but I can answer a few of your questions.

I did a quick search online and found a few in your area. You may also wish to look at this older post on the site with some references for Jacksonville. There are a ton of mattress stores offering latex in San Fran when you visit there. Just do an online search.

Latex works great on a power foundation, and it is all I recommend for use with a power foundation, as it puts up very well with the specific weight concentrations and demands of an adjustable bed base.

Most all-latex mattresses do not use a racetrack or perimeter polyurethane foam edge reinforcement system, as people are usually attempting to get away from polyurethane foams when looking at an all-latex product. While the edge of an all-latex mattresses will feel soft when sitting on it (latex is very point elastic), the edge itself will hold up well. You can find mattresses out there that use polyurethane support cores or innerspring support cores that do have harder edge support systems.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with that brand. I canā€™t even find a record of it. Maybe you have the spelling wrong? Did you mean Zenhaven? It has been discussed quite a bit here on the forum (just do a search), but testing out different latex mattresses in stores wonā€™t tell you how that mattress feels unless youā€™re able to put together something that has the exact same layers at the same thickness and same ILDs, along with the zoning that their core has. And frankly, if youā€™re looking to shop online, there are more affordable and more configurable latex options.

Itā€™s not a dumb question - I get it a lot here. Two twin XL mattresses are easy to make up with the mattress pad and fitted sheets. Lifting up the head can help out. Use king sized sheets, blankets and comforters.

I hope that helps!

Mattress To Go

Thanks Jeff,

Yes, I misspelled Zenhaven (made by Saatva).

Iā€™ll look into the businesses referenced in the earlier email you pointed to to. It was looking like Iā€™d have to order online, but I may have some local options.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Youā€™re welcome. I had a hunch thatā€™s what you meant.

If you do try out something locally and then wish to compare it to some of the online offerings (such as some of the site members on this forum or elsewhere), be sure to find out the type of latex in the mattress you tested (Dunlop or Talalay), the blend (synthetic (SBR), natural (NR) or blended (SBR/NR)), the thickness of each layer and ordering, and if possible the ILD or density of each layer. Thereā€™s an article here on the site that people reference often about things you need to know. Testing something in person is always optimal.

There are a lot of latex mattress manufacturers in Florida, as it is common for mattresses used in boats. Heading south along the coast youā€™ll find more retailers offering such items to test out - it just depends upon how far you wish to drive.

Good luck!

Mattress To Go

Iā€™ve been looking online and couldnā€™t find an answer, so I thought I would ask here. Is there any sort of chart of different mattress retailers return policies? Iā€™m really unhappy with my last mattress purchase, so trying to get a sense of who makes the easiest returns before I start shopping again.

Hey wdfwguy,

Iā€™m not aware of such a chart, and even if there was one it would be outdated as soon as it was published. You have over 500 different mattress companies producing products domestically, along with imports and then multitudes of boxed-bed companies, and then different policies within different lines produced by the same company, along with policies set by local brick and mortar retailers that can supersede a policy offered by a manufacturer. So ultimately youā€™d want to check specifically with any manufacturer/store youā€™re considering. Most online-only companies will have some sort of a return/exchange policy, as market research shows that this is expected by consumers for a product that is so subjective regarding comfort and one that they canā€™t sample in person. But these policies do vary, and they can also vary for the same product if the product is purchased directly from the manufacturer versus through an alternate reseller (such as amazon). So ultimately it will end up with you having to check with each manufacturer youā€™re considering, but the good news is that most of this information regarding returns/exchanges is displayed on the web sites for these online companies, usually quite prominently or in their FAQ sections.

Beducation / Mattress To Go

Hi,

I am new. I have been reading a lot here, I know the 5 steps for purchasing the best (for me) mattress (pressure, alignment etc). I just moved to Gainesville,Florida, from Italy, I rented a furnished apt 3 days ago and the mattress there is a nightmare. Since night 1 I am waking up all sore. I am going now to Mattress Firm just because they have great reviews online, I wont buy anything yet. But I know you guys dont like main brands, and Mattress Firm sells big brands. If I wanna go for a non-big brand, which one would you suggest? And a which one next to Gainesville, Florida? Thank you a lot PS: how can I open a new topic? I could not find a button for that. Thanks

Hi venexiano.

Thank you for visiting The Mattress Underground(TMU)! :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear that your mattress is unsuitable and that are waking up sore.

TMU is not opposed to the main bedding brands, nor companies like the Mattress Firm. The major manufacturers generally tend to use lower quality materials in their mattress that will tend to soften or break down more quickly than the higher quality and more durable materials that are used by many smaller manufacturers. This is why itā€™s so important to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any mattress you are considering. There is more about the quality/durability guidelines that I would suggest in post #4 here. We do, however, recognize that there are high quality, value mattress alternatives for consumers such as TMUā€™s Trusted Members

Based on your note, its high sense of urgency, and assuming that you want to be able to go to a retail store in the Gainesville, FL area for your purchase, the Mattress Firm may be a good alternative for you. The Mattress Firm has changed its return/refund policy and this may provide you with post-purchase options, at a nominal fee if you do not find the right mattress for you if you choose to make a purchase.

Good Luck with your selection!

Phoenix

Hi Jeff,

You and Phoenix helped me out early this year regarding genā€™l questions and the problem with finding latex mattresses in Jacksonville, FL.

Iā€™ve seen KayTā€™s posts re her frustration on the same topic (and feel her pain) and another thread regarding adjustable bases.

First, I may make the trip to Fox Mattress in the Daytona Beach area just to be able to try latex in different combinations.

Second, thereā€™s an organic mattress store in Orange Park, just west of Jacksonville, but they seem to carry just one brand.

Third, and these are my new questions, we currently have an old box springs/innerspring mattress combination in King on a flat frame. My plan is to go with some form of latex mattress(es) in a split twin configuration on adjustable platforms. We have head and footboards from Pottery Barn and really would like to keep them.

Before discovering this site I had a ā€œchatā€ with one of the mattress chains and was told that some adjustable bed mechanisms will fit onto a standard king frame.

So:

1. Really, will any of the split twin adjustable platforms fit onto a regular King frame? If so, which ones?

2. If no adjustable bed mechanisms will fit onto a standard king bed frame, do any of the adjustable beds have attachment points for both head and foot boards?

3. If the answers are ā€œnoā€ and ā€œnoā€, any suggestions?

Man, I remember when you just went to a department store or mattress store, bounced on a couple of beds, let the salesman breath into your ear, paid too much and waited for delivery, slept on the mattress until something poked you then repeated the process. The good old days.

Bruce

Hey Loveeb,

Most power foundations are designed to fit within the perimeter of a king bed set (in your case, two twin extra long power foundations), and are made to be just a bit smaller than the ā€œbox springsā€ that they replace. All you do is remove the cross slat network of your bed set so that you are left with an ā€œemptyā€ rectangle of a headboard, footboard, and the two connecting side rails. Then you place the two adjustable bed bases within that perimeter of the bed set, and they stand by themselves and are independent of the bed set.

Most fit within the perimeter of a bed set, so this isnā€™t really an issue, although I do seem to recall in the 25 years Iā€™ve been doing this of adjustable beds that had both brackets to attach a headboard and footboard, but itā€™s not something I would recommend. I donā€™t even recommend using the headboard-only brackets with adjustable beds. Iā€™m a bigger fan of placing the power base within the perimeter of the bed set.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Jeff, questions answered. Bruce

:wink:

Hi!

I was looking for mattresses available in Europe (so e.g. Ikea) that would be good athletic/broad shouldered tall side sleepers? At 190 lb 6ā€™3" my concern is that e.g. Ikea Morgedal would be too firm. Any advice? Otherwise would prefer a foam or latex material.

Hey Matratze,

Iā€™m not familiar with all of the brands and models offered in Europe, and even if I was I wouldnā€™t have a way to predict what you might like, as that is truly subjective. There is some information listed here on the site that you might find interesting in selecting different types of products for various sleeping positions here and here. The key will be to find something that allows for adequate support/alignment, and then making sure there is just enough comfort on top to allow some sinking in of your shoulders/hips, and also making sure that your pillow allows for appropriate head support/cervical alignment.

The good news is that there are many established latex mattress manufacturers in Europe and you have many options from which to select. Be sure to test out the items personally, as this will be the best way to determine if you have found something that suits your needs. Trust your reaction. Some steps have been outlined on the forum previously here that may be helpful to you regarding selecting a mattress.

Auf Wiedersehen!

Iā€™m working on narrowing down potential mattresses
Right now Iā€™m comparing and contrasting the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex model and the Arizona Premium Mattress Ultimate Hybrid.

Both have 3-inch latex comfort layers
-the Nest latex is 28 ILD okeo-tex certified talalay latex
-the Arizona Premium Mattress latex is 25-29 ILD talalay
The Nest Bedding cover is Organic cotton with 2 inches of wool ā†’ Under investigation, online reviews say 2 inches of wool but Nest site currently states 1 inch of wool (Joma)
I think Arizona Premium Mattress Ultimate Hybrid can be purchased with an organic cover with wool, but exact thickness of wool is unknown.

Spring wise both seem to have individually pocketed and zoned springs with the nest having 1100 individually pocketed coils (5 zones) (guessing Leggett and Platt due to quantum edge springs being mentioned) and the Arizona Premium having >1050 Leggett and Platt springs (3 zones)

Finished height on the Arizona Premium is just over 12 inches, and the Nest is 13 inches.
Both manufacturers offer wood foundations suitable for their beds

Nest warranty is lifetime with a 100 day trial period
Arizona Premium has a 20 year warranty with a 60 day return period

Zipper on the Nest is [strike]brass[/strike] plastic as of 1/2018 based on visit to a showroom, zip on the Arizona Premium is teflon YKK type.

Is anyone here familiar with both companies/products and can you provide any feedback that would be useful?

I also note that as of about a year ago Nest merged with Brooklyn Bedding - Brooklyn Bedding is not listed here on Mattress Underground - are there any issues or concerns I should be aware of given this merger?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks! Actually Iā€™m limited to IKEA models as they are the ones I can afford used.

Presumably it would be a spring model in medium-firm from what Iā€™ve gathered online. I have an athletic build with a small waist, 6 ft 180 lb. Iā€™ve tried the three middle of the line EU models in order of softness:

HokkƄsen: Pocket Spring with Extra spring layer and memory foam.
Hyllestad: Pocket Spring memory foam top (next softest).
HoksƄs: Pocket spring regular foam.

My concerns are durability and overheating, although Iā€™m not a particularly hot sleeper. Which of these is likely to suit me better? Iā€™ll have to buy the best bet and hope for the best.