How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

New member and first postā€¦ First, I am glad to have found this site. It feels like a cove of refuge in a storm of information. There are so many sites that seem to be intended to appear brand neutral but seem to be designed to drive business to a certain vendor. Finding TMU was a welcome relief.

When we bought our Tempurpedic in 1998 it was relatively obscure and I had the audacity to order it over the internet, which at the time was not a very common method of procuring a mattress. I ordered it from Healthy Foundations before Tempupedic crushed their online discount vendors.

It was the first successful bed compromise for my spouse and I. I came from full motion waterbeds and my wife came from traditional S mattresses. We used a hybrid waterbed for a while with linear tubes covered by a more traditional mattress top. It was tolerable for both, but not very good for either.

The Tempurpedic was a revelation. After ā€œmelt-inā€ I could sleep for a whole night on my back, barely moving, despite having had a back injury. Although very different it reminded me of the great sleep I used to get on a waterbed when splashing down in the middle of my king size bed by myself. Worked well for my side sleeper wife as well, but I digressā€¦

Back in '98 we looked at Stroebelpedic, Tempurpedic and a few others. I was a little uncomfortable with the initial offgassing of the Tempurpedic original, but after that it has been great. Even now itā€™s not too bad, but I notice kind of a high point ridge in the middle that slopes to either side. When my wife was away I slept right in the middle and noticed that the memory foam worked better there, more like original.

Now looking at mattresses again, it is a whole new world. Now internet purchase is common and there is a whole new category of industry disruptor bed in a box companies.

I spent time doing research and started to head in two directions. One was toward a newer memory foam mattress. The Select-a-bed tri-pedic or the related Tempflow series looked like a good best in class memory foam alternative. Even back in '98 I was intrigued with the idea of memory foam over latex so I started looking at that type of hybrid like the Select-a-bed Soft-pedic. Then the latex bug bit me hard and I have been looking at all the full latex options like those from SleepEZ and others.

Unfortunately all of those companies listed above that interested me are not based here where I am in the Pacific NW. Now on to some particulars:

I am 5-11, 170 lbs and prefer to sleep on my back or on my back with legs rotated to one side. I often need to move around now as the old tempurpedic does not seem to provide the same support and find myself also on my side. Sometimes if my back really hurts I might wake up on my stomach in the morning. Based upon what I have read here, and knowing a bit about my PPP I think I would like a soft Talalay comfort layer, but relatively thin so my lumber still gets good support. My wife is 5-6, 200+ side sleeper. We are 58ish in age.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have been studying up on the different latex variations and ILD and the like. Have others gone from memory foam that they liked to latex and been equally or more happy? Are there any vendors in the greater Seattle area that would have some high quality latex to try? Sorry for the long first post.

Hi r7 and welcome the The Mattress Underground!

Phoenix suggested that we provide you with some input as one of our areas of our expertise is in Latex Mattresses. We want to start off by congratulating you on your 20 years of success with a Tempurpedic mattress and being a pioneering early adopter to purchasing a mattress online. A great deal has changed in the past 20 years and you are wise to research before you make another purchase online mattress purchase.
One thing that we noticed in reading through your post is that you do not seem to be actively considering another Tempurpedic mattress. We know that brand loyalty is not very strong in mattresses. However, given your success with a Tempurpedic, it is a bit surprising you did not cite this in your post. Just an observation that caught our attention.
You noted than ā€œI spent time doing research and started to head in two directionsā€ and that : ā€¦.looking at mattresses again, it is a whole new world. Now internet purchase is common and there is a whole new category of industry disruptor bed in a box companies" .
Heading in two directions can be a bit precarious, especially in that you are considering 2 very different material technologies, High Density Memory Foam and Latex Foam. Because the feel and properties of these two materials are so different, we encourage you to ā€œtest restā€ the newer age memory foams and both Dunlop and Talalay latex foams before you settle in on a specific direction. Once you have set your material of choice direction for your new mattress, then you will find both The Mattress underground and its Expert Members as a helpful set of resources for you in narrowing your alternatives. One point we should note, many of the disruptor bed-in-a-box companies sell products that are vastly inferior to the quality of materials that are in your 20-year old Tempurpedic. While buying from an online only mattress retailer can be a great value, queen size mattresses priced below $1000 rarely meet the needs of a luxury mattress customer such as yourself. Whichever direction you decide to pursue, please take your time to compare and benchmark the component quality.
There are plenty of retail sources in the Seattle area that carry latex that may be helpful in your next stage of research:
Nest Beding (Trusted Member of this site)

https://45thstreetbedding.com/
http://www.6daymattressstore.com/

Also, Tempurpedic has a flagship store in Tukwila https://www.tempurpedic.com/ We are not pushing Tempurpedic as much as suggesting that you benchmark others based on your 20+ years on a Tempur.

By making a few calls in advance can get a feel for the quality of the retail staff and narrow down your options so your store visits can be more focused. The Mattress Underground has several Trusted Members who can assist you once youā€™ve set your direction, either in the latex category or in the High Density Memory Foam category.

Have fun shopping!
Team Luma

Thank you, Steve. Your reply is very helpful and much appreciated. Surprisingly our 20 year old tempur is still OK. It seems like the foam sort of wears out suddenly, but it may just be perception. I certainly have no complaints about the value and longevity we received with it! I typically tend to be brand loyal with an excellent product, but Tempur crushed their internet discount sellers about the time I purchased our mattress and now their specs are vague and the huge number of variant models they sell are confusing. I am not dead set against replacing it in kind, but it seems like I can do better for my dollar with other manufacturers if I do decide to replace it with another HD memory foam mattress. I would like a more natural option, if it performs well for me. I am not tempted by the new market disruptors, but I am intrigued to explore the latex options.

I really appreciate the local NW references. I will check them out. I am in no hurry so I have the luxury of learning lots and proceeding accordingly. I am developing many latex questions as I learn more.

Have fun shopping! Itā€™s always good to be in a position where you can take your time and analyze all your options. Please let us know what you learn and decide to do.

Hi,
I am looking for a recommendation on mattress for my kids bunk bed - full size.
I would like the mattress to be 7" or 9" latex or hybrid mattress for +/-$800. The most important for me is purity of the materials within the whole mattress assembly - no offgassing, no chemicals, glues. Currently I am considering:

7" Sleep on Latex mattress
EcoSleep by Arizona Mattress
kids mattress by Arizona Mattress

Are these mattresses free of any harmfull chemicals, glues, etc?
Are there any other reliable, not too pricy options for kids full size mattress that you could recommend?
I will appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Hi.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

These are all good things to consider when shopping for a childā€™s mattress, but I would point out that all materials including latex will have some degree of off-gassing (some of which can be smelled and some that canā€™t) but the important part is whether any off-gassing is harmful. Even food has off-gassing that can be smelled. In the case of latex the smell isnā€™t harmful. Talalay latex tends to have a sweeter smell and Dunlop tends to have a more rubbery smell but neither are harmful and both have been tested to Oeko-Tex standard 100 class 1 (safe for babies) standards. Both will dissipate to levels below normal detection. Generally speaking, any mattress that uses materials that are durable enough and are in a suitable firmness range and that has a reliable safety certification and you consider to be safe enough would be a suitable choice for a child regardless of whether it has an organic certification. I personally donā€™t have any concerns about any type or blend of latex in terms of its ā€œsafetyā€.

[quote] Currently I am considering:
7" Sleep on Latex mattress
EcoSleep by Arizona Mattress
kids mattress by Arizona Mattress [/quote]

You are choosing between good and good. ā€¦there are no weak links or lower quality materials in any of the two choices you listed and each could make a suitable and safe choice and both would fall in your budget range.
The 7" Pure Green is made with 100% Natural Dunlop Latex and organic cotton cover with quilted wool and zippered cover. The 6" EcoSleep for children is made with blended Talalay latex and uses what they call ā€œfall offā€ which is strips of latex that are glued together to make a Twin or Full size latex core. They are using a water-based adhesive Greeguard Gold certified which is a reliable certification for VOCs and safe for children.

Generally, for growing children, youā€™d want something more in the ā€œmediumā€ to ā€œmedium-firmā€ range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation, but other than this I would make your final choice based your preferences of materials, which one you believe would be most suitable for your children, your conversations with each manufacturer, the options you have to change the comfort level of the mattress when your children get older, their body matures and develops, and their needs and preferences change (by adding a topper, flipping the mattress, or changing the layering), your budget, and finally based on ā€œbest judgementā€ and which one you are ā€œleaning towardsā€ most strongly.

You may have read this already but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ some more reading for your peace of mindā€¦, there is more information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and ā€œsuitableā€ and ā€œsafeā€ materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here.

I hope this helps with your choice.

Phoenix

I would suggest ā€˜Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattressā€™ for kids. Itā€™s both bouncy and comfortable, very sturdy. Itā€™s also not heavy - it has springs inside that are not covered by plastic.

Hi MattressHacker.

I appreciate your contributions, desire to help, and disclosing your connection to your own ā€œanti-mattressā€ website :). I am always glad to see real consumers become increasingly aware, discriminate, and cut through the marketing stories and tactics that the mattress industry abounds in. Even though you are not selling any products and while it is admirable that you wish to make a ā€œsmall dentā€ in consumer mentality when it comes to buying a new bed, I have deleted the link to your website from your signature ā€¦ as this is against our Forum Rules here. A link in the signature is reserved for our Trusted Members, Expert Members, and Consumer Contributor Members of our site.

As a side note for those who wish to make their research available for the benefit the general public and thus contribute to consumer awareness and education, something that TMU will be adding to its website and Forum is the ā€œofficialā€ participation of Consumer Contributor Members who are non-affiliated and not employed in the mattress industry individuals with related experience and qualifications who have done a great deal of independent research in a topic connected with sleep and mattresses. The research must be substantiated and it will require citing of its research resources to assist with the validation of the information presented.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix! I really appreciate your detailed answer and additional links where I was able to learn even more about buying the right mattress for my kids. I am also glad that both companies that I am considering are listed on your website as trusted mattress providers.
The market is flooded with so many choices that it is overwelming to do reaserch on the right mattress. Your website definetelly helps.
Thank you.

Hi Karollla.

I agree that it can be overwhelming to weed through the many offerings and advertising stories.
I am glad we can help! :slight_smile: and thank you for your kind words.

If you have any other questions feel free to post back and I or any of our Expert Members weā€™ll be happy to assist you.

Pheonix

I researched Mattress Underground Dec. of 2014 and early in 2015 I bought a latex bed of 3 layers, soft, medium and firm and in the last 3 years Iā€™ve reconfigured the 3 layers but my back still hurts. I didnā€™t know at the time that this latex bed is the wrong bed. So I am back researching. My back is in an arch all night from my previous beds. Last week I heard from a friend for the first time in my life (there is no info on this site) that Chinese mattresses contain a layer of coconut fibers in the support layer. So the support layer contains the springs at the bottom, then the coconut fiber layer of about 1" then the choices of different thicknesses of foam (from 1/2" to 3" on top of that for the comfort layer. The coconut layer is very firm, like a piece of plywood but still compresses and not THAT firm. I learned this from my friend. She bought such a bed a year ago and claims it has changed her life. So for the past week to determine if firmness is what I need, I have slept on a memory foam from Costco placed on my hardwood floor. My back is noticeably less arched (may never be unarched since a CT scan showed some fusion in my spine) so that tells me I need something firm in the support layer. However, in the past 3 years Iā€™ve partially trained myself to sleep on my sides. So when I am on my sides my hip bone hurts and I can feel my hip is at the bottom of the memory foam touching the floor. That tells me I need a firmer foam in the comfort layer. I live in Vancouver, B.C. area and today I visited 3 mattress places all located on Kingsway carrying these coconut mattresses. They are indeed very firm, firmer than I ever imagined. The sales people tell me in humid areas such as in eastern and southeastern Asia, people use these mattresses because the coconut layer is porus and allows air to flow through. Also there is no worry of insects because the coconut fibers go through a process to prevent that (not able to determine the exact process due to my insufficient Chinese to fully understand them or to explain this here.) Before I purchase anything I need to hear from people who have ā€œcoconutā€ mattresses. One of the stores says they have been in the same location for 20 years. What are there no info on these types of mattresses? What do you know about them?

Hi ssum,
Welcome back to The Mattress Underground! Coconut fiber is commonly used in mattresses in Asia, as pads, mattresses and layers in mattresses. It has been used in Asia for quite some time, primarily as a pad, on the floor, where many people in Asia still sleep. Yes, the material is very hard. Coconut fiber, also called coir, is also very inexpensive. It is a natural fiber although the process to make the sheet/core uses a lot of glue, primarily latex glue. It does not compress very much when in the form of a pad , and the explanation you received from the Vancouver retailer is accurate.
A simple search online can provide you more information. Hereā€™s a few links to further your investigation:

As with many products coming from this region of the world, quality control is a prime consideration.
Based on your post, it appears that the use of coconut fiber will best serve you if located at the base or in the support layer of the mattress. With 3 retailers nearby, it looks like you have the ability to compare and shop for products with this material. There are online sources as well as you will find on your search.

Hope this helps!

Team Luma

[color=black]Hi,

I have read the whole article and found it very useful. I need to exchange my current mattress and get a new one from Mattress Depot in WA. They do not allow returns but allow a one time exchange.

My most recent purchase was
Sweda Stockholm mattress : https://www.mattressdepotusa.com/product/sweda-stockholm-5/Sweda Stockholm 5"
It was very firm. I thought it would soften up over time. It did not soften up even though I walked on it several times.

• I am 230 lbs, side and back sleeper with severe hip and shoulder pain.
  • The shoulder pain is n Sleep in the state of Washington.
  • 4 years ago I bought a latex mattress with a plush top from the same store. The company that makes this mattress is Restonic (nationwide); known as Sound Sleep in the state of Washington.
    ā€“ It worked well for 3 years. The 4th year, I had it on a Murphy bed with bad support. The mattress started to sag in the hip area. More than the normal sag manufactures allow. I chose to not do the warranty as the mattress was not on recommended support.
    But I knew the next mattress I bought should be firm and that would not sag with my weight in a few years.
  • My mistake in confusing the top comfort layer for the support layer.
  • I think I need a medium soft top layer with a sold core layer for support.

The mattress I am considering for exchange is the Sweda Kalmar 8ā€³
https://www.mattressdepotusa.com/product/sweda-kalmar-8/

• 4ā€³ 100% Natural Latex
  • 4ā€³ Supportive Latex Foam
  • STA-Fresh Air Channels
  • Contour Correction Support System
  • Organic Cotton
  • New Zealand Wool Upholstery

Since January this year, I have been buying and returning mattresses. I am weary and doubting my choices.
Jan - tried the Purple bed for 2 weeks. I could feel the bottom of the bed through the mattress. - returned.
Feb - Mattress Firm - Bought a spring coil hybrid mattress that was firm on the top. The firmness hurt my sides and I exchanged it.
Next came the Serta iComfort memory foam mattress. - Was firm in the 1st week; as it started softening up in the following weeks, It was hard to get out of it. I was worried get worse. So I returned it. Got my money back. Great customer service at the Seattle Downtown store. They did not have latex so I chose to go back to the Mattress Depot store.

Back to the current story.
Based on my experiences, - I think I need a medium soft top layer with a sold core layer for support.

The mattress I am considering for exchange from Mattress Depot is the Sweda Kalmar 8ā€³
https://www.mattressdepotusa.com/product/sweda-kalmar-8/

• 4ā€³ 100% Natural Latex
  • 4ā€³ Supportive Latex Foam
  • STA-Fresh Air Channels
  • Contour Correction Support System
  • Organic Cotton
  • New Zealand Wool Upholstery

I do not like Spring coils or memory foam. I am wondering what questions I should ask the salesperson about the quality of the latex and supportive latex foam in the mattress.

I should have read your article before buying my 1st mattress. Itā€™s embarrassing to list out the mistakes, Iā€™ve made this year. But itā€™s worth it to get your feedback on the next choice (it being non refundable)

Thanks in advance,
Sleepless in Seattle.[/color]

Hello Team Luma,
Since my last inquiry, Iā€™ve tried other mattresses, foam ones, firm ones with springs, and with each one I feel my back is arched. It is just a matter of more arched or less arched. Iā€™ve tried (again) propping up my legs with a bolster, added foam pieces under the bolster too. Actually the higher my legs are propped the better my back feels, regardless of the mattress. So the bolster forces my back to a straighter and more comfortable position. Perhaps that is the best I can do.

Hello ssum,

Thank you for the update. What you are describing sounds more like a physical/health condition than a mattress effect as it persists regardless of the type of mattress. Perhaps you should seek the input of your physician to advise you as to the best mattress design and/or accessories to address your condition for the long term. We hope you find relief soon.

Team Luma

Yes, I would say it is my fused back, seen in a CT scan recently. I will speak to my doctor and see what she says.

If you need any assistance in finding anything that is unique for your needs, donā€™t hesitate to reach out at LumaSleep.com . We are here to help, or you can contact us at [email protected]

Hello PP Seattle,

It sure sounds like youā€™ve had quite the mattress shopping journey so far. Hopefully your next choice will be the one that allows you to sleep healthy and happily for many years to come. As you are aware, you are upgrading from 5" of latex to 8" of latex in making the switch to the Sweda Kalmar 8". It is difficult to tell much from the retailerā€™s website as there is very little transparency in the information they provide on their products. Hereā€™s a set of questions you should ask that may help you with your diligence:

1. Besides the 3" of additional latex, what are the other differences between the two mattresses?
  2. What is the ILD of each layer of latex? Is the layering a progression of firmness in which the lower support layer has a higher ILD than the top 100% natural latex layer? Are there options for having the 4" 100% natural latex in different firmnesses? Is this layer a single 4" block of latex or is it made of multiple layers glued together?
  3. What does supportive latex mean?
  4. What is the Contour Correction Support System and how does it differ from the Supportive latex layer? How does it interact with the latex layer above it in terms of support and comfort?
  5. How will this new mattress address your severe hip and shoulder pain?
  6. What are your options if it does not relieve your hip/shoulder pain?
  7. What is the warranty for body impressions in terms of depth and time frame?
  8. Is this the best latex mattress that Mattress Depot sells that ā€œfitsā€ for your comfort and support needs?

This information should help you know what you are buying and what your options are. However, you should prepare to spend a good amount of time ā€œtest restingā€ on the new mattress while in the showroom in order to confirm your decision. We would recommend at least 20-30 minutes lying on the mattress on your side. Pick a time of day that allows you to be able to do this comfortably. If the mattress is a really a good fit, you will find yourself drifting off to sleep. It you start to experience some discomfort, stop and re-group.

Hope this helps.

Team Luma

Hello all. I have recently purchased a mattress, but unfortunately I only found this site afterwards. So I guess Iā€™m limited in changes I can makeā€¦ but perhaps you call still help me.

1. I purchased a Plushbeds 9" botanical bliss medium-firm (29-31 ILD) and have been sleeping on it for a little over a week. The heaviest person sleeping on the bed is me (150 lb) and both of us are combination side and back sleepers. Weā€™re finding the bed to be a little bit too firm than we like (with some extra pressure on knees, shoulders and hips than comfortable when sleeping on our sides). I think I may have an overcompensated in selecting a higher firmness due to past experience with our previous pillowtop innerspring and extreme dislike of quicksand-likeness of memory foam. Iā€™m thinking of calling and asking to exchange the top Talalay layer to get down to a 24-26 ILD (which is the medium option their site shows). Is that the right thing to do? Should I be asking for a different ILD and see if they can accommodate? Or is changing the top layer never enough by itself?

2. I also bought a Leggett & Platt S-Cape 2.0 with the mattress purchase, but Iā€™m having a hard time understanding what kind of platform bedframe can be used with an adjustable base. I was checking to see if various bedframe have interior dimensions that match exterior dimensions of the adjustable base + mattress and then checking to see if those beds can be used without installing the slats. But apparently that is not enough as several online retailers confirmed that the particular frames I was looking at were not compatible with adjustable basesā€¦ What exactly should I be looking for in a platform bedframe to see if it will work?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong placeā€¦ please move my post to somewhere appropriate if this is not the right place.

Thanks.

Hello!

Do you know what the layers underneath the Talalay top are in terms of materials and ILD? And how thick is the top layer that you are thinking of replacing? Realistically for side sleepers of lighter body weight you could easily go to a lower ILD than 24-26 for the surface if you would like. Talalay is so elastic and supportive that the chances you will not find it to be sufficiently supportive are very slim. I am just advising a little bit of caution to go lower than the 24ILD if the layers underneath are very high ILD/Density Dunlop latex.

I would say that the issue you are having in terms of comfort is by far the most common issue with latex is that people think due to past experiences that a softer mattress will not support them well. And that is true to an extent, without accounting for the elasticity variable.

You definitely have the idea that if you are getting pressure not just on hips but shoulders and even knees that what you have is realistically too firm for your body types.