How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

My partner and I, after a good deal of searching, seem to agree that the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex (firm) is the best out of the box mattress for us. However I would love to recreate this mattress with a zoned coil layer instead. For some reason we feel like Goldilocks in that all the mattress we’ve tried are either too firm, too soft, or both. We are both primarily side sleepers and either our hips sag too much or our shoulders are crunched, so I really believe a zoned bed would help fix this issue. One of the things we liked the most about the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex was the plushness of first 2" (cover and first layer of quilting). Please could anyone recommend components including a zoned coil system that would be close in feel to the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex (firm)? I am 5’9" 180lbs (M) and my partner is 5’5" 130lbs (F). I appreciate any help and guidance.

I cannot personally recommend components, although there is a zoned coil base on Arizona Premium Mattress and the dunlop layer could be sourced from a number of suppliers like Sleep Ez. Not sure on the base, quilting, and transition foam, although you could go more all-natural/durable and source latex layers to approximate these.

I’m considering this bed as a side sleeper. I am curious how your partner is finding the bed for side sleeping as she is my size and weight—is the issue too much shoulder pressure or hip sinkage for her?

I want to ask another question about Nest Bedding but cannot find a good thread for it, so here goes…

TMU lists that memory foam should not go under 4lbs to be good quality. Yet the Nest Signature Hybrid transition foam goes all the way down to 3lbs. As a TMU member, none of their mattresses should have a weak link…but wouldn’t this be a weak link?

Earlier in this thread an issue with mold was mentioned on platforms without ventilation. My mattress is on an adjustable base that provides no ventilation that I can see.

My previous hybrid mattress had no problem, though it slept very hot. Should I be worried about an all latex mattress on this base? I have little to no issues with sleeping hot with latex so far but it’s still cool weather. I am in very humid SC.

Also, how do you start a new thread in General Discussion?

Thanks Phoenix,

Well, we went back to Magic Sleeper and did a final run through for PPP with the eastman house. Did another round in comfort levels above and below, but we wound up pulling the trigger on the Eastman House.

It will be delivered on Thursday. I’ll keep you posted but we are hopeful and anxious to start the true test…

Hi tomford4u,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

I have always loved the image of goldilocks during the mattress buying process, I have done it and seen it so many times with consumers.

I would like to provide a little caution to the thought of “recreate this mattress with a zoned coil layer instead”. Unless Nest Bedding was going to do this for you personally, keeping all other variables exactly the same, you are essentially just trying a new mattress. There are too many variables.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

The coil systems used in Nest and used in other units of our trusted members like Arizona Premium and Luma Sleep are very high quality products. But when one puts up to 4 or 5 inches of high quality comfort layers above the coil system, the zoning effect from the “core” is minimal, if not useless that far below the surface.

If you are so inclined there is more reading about zoning in these links. This article and post #11 here and post #2 here.

Thank you again for your post.

Sensei

Does this mean that a mattress like ZenHaven without coils may be comparable in feel?

Hey Nirvana,

No I wasn’t referencing Zenhaven, I was only making general observations about comparing and matching feels.

Thanks.

Sensei

understood, but you seem to say that “when one puts up to 4 or 5 inches of high quality comfort layers above the coil system, the zoning effect from the “core” is minimal, if not useless that far below the surface.” I am filled with angst becuase the idea of latex is appealing but I have never had a mattress without springs.

Hi joekane,

Nice work going back to Magic Sleeper and going through the PPP…impressive. As I said before, it is always nice for other consumers to read about other consumers doing the necessary research, thank you for that.

And congratulations on the new mattress. Yes, we look forward to the update, but please take some time for you to adjust to the new mattress and the new mattress adjust to you :).

Phoenix

I’m glad you responded, Sensei. I’ve been thinking a lot about zoning too. It seems to help me in the hip region of the Zenhaven…when my hip doesn’t feel enough support (ie, once my shoulder is finally happy), my back starts to spasm and the band across the top of my hips (on the back) starts to seize up. Luma told me yesterday on the phone I would adjust to not having zoned support but it’s so painful I’m not sure I actually would. I am 95% side sleeper, average 135lb 5’4" female shape.

I love everything about all-latex mattresses except the lack of zoning options under $2k. Question: could you just slip a board or two under the mattress in the hip region? Would that work for extra hip support?

Hey,

I wanted to ask a question but I couldn’t post a new topic in the general forum, then I couldn’t find a closely related topic so I decided to do it here. Not sure if I am breaking any rules. Please move my question if necessary.

Basically I am looking for a cost-effective way to deal with memory foam mattress that sleeps hot. I have a cheap Zinus 12" 3 layer “gel” memory foam mattress. It is comfortable and has held up fine for the last 1.5 years. I don’t want to buy a new one yet as I will be moving at the end of the year/early next year so I will buy a new King mattress for the new place.

In the meantime, I am looking for a way to make things for comfortable temperature-wise. I already use a fan and windows. I use cotton bedding and a light comforter. I also sleep half naked.

I was looking at mattress toppers. Read about latex and wool. Latex seems to be good for temperature if it is Talalay only which I can’t find for a decent price. Wool is slightly cheaper but still not many options. Dunlop seems to be same price as wool. I am in Canada (Toronto.) I am going to order this. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N1XPPXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts for my situation and the product I picked out? Is there something else I should buy instead? Thanks,

Hi peppyaf.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

We have moved your post to its own topic and renamed it “sleeping hot …” to better describe your issue,

Sorry to hear that you are sleeping hot in your 1.5 years old Zinus mattress, but you are certainly on the right track with looking to place a component to help you get some distance between you and the less breathable memory foam underneath. This would be is a good temporary band-aid, until you move on to a more appropriate product. The temperature sleeping microclimate is a complex issue as it depends on so many interrelated variables… but you are correct that generally adding a wool topper will have a more significant effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than the other less breathable materials, layers, and components in your mattress.

Regarding the Amazon product link, you provided,… the 1" wool reversible pad manufactured is in China for Down Feather Healthy Bedding and looks interesting, but as with many new Amazon products, there is just not enough history, or details of who makes it … to have enough confidence. On Amazon, the product is displayed with an “Oeko-Tex” logo but again there is no other more specific info that a more transparent company would make it readily available such as i.e., date tested, certification number, manufacturer, etc. This is not implying that this particular product doesn’t have the certification but I’d make sure to check out that it has very clear certificates stating product and manufacturer, etc etc. This one of the reasons why TMU is so selective with our membership and why we point out to products from companies that we have a high level of confidence and knowledge. I’d recommend that you reach out to some of our Canadian trusted members especially MFC , one of our expert members with many years of experience in memory foam products and ways to mitigate temperature regulation issues.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress). You have already made many adjustments in your sleep system to mitigate the issue, which quite frankly may have more effect on heat than any bedding or mattress product you find online. There simply is not any real credible data. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. You may also wish to read more about the Sleeping Microclimate and Temperature Control in post #6 here that talks about all the many factors that are involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress.

I’d recommend that you reach out to some of our Canadian trusted members especially MFC , one of our expert members with many years of experience in memory foam products and ways to mitigate temperature regulation issues.

I would be interested to hear back from you to learn what you decided and I or any other Expert Member of the site would be glad assist you with any other questions that you may have.

Phoenix

My new Arizona Premium latex mattress arrived piecemeal over several days last week. I purchased DIY 3 3" layers, all natural: soft Talalay, medium Talalay and firm Dunlop with a zippered cover. When the mattress cover arrived, I put the layers in the mattress and it was a very tight fit. The mattress was much firmer than I expected as I had tested similar configurations in local stores. After sleeping on it for a couple of nights, I raised my concern to Ken at AZP. He said that was normal and that I should give it a couple of weeks for the cover to stretch and the latex to soften. That has been happening and a week later it seems more comfortable although I would like it to soften more. I would judge my sleeping as normal, no better but no worse than before. I do have some mild lower back pain but I have had that for many years, so I do not believe the new mattress is a factor in that. However, I do believe this is a good product and I am glad that I chose a latex mattress, especially a 3 layer one where I can switch layers if necessary. The DIY approach saves some money and gave me the flexibility to choose what layers I wanted. The only caveat is there is a no return policy for DIY, but that was not a major concern because I was pretty confident this would work.

Thanks for your help and advice in researching and buying the mattress. TMU is a great website for mattresses. You simplify the credible and objective information needed to buy mattresses whereas most mattress websites are nothing more than shills for mattress companies.

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

I have to say the “plywood” as firmed up many a mattress over the years for consumers, I personally have not read about it being used for support in a specific region. Of course, it will “work” in some form and fashion, and is certainly worth trying. I can check with Phoenix and see if any other information may be around the TMU site.

Thanks,

Sensei

Hi johnep,

It is so nice to read your update on your well-researched DIY and the decisions you made. Thank you for your kind words of appreciation about TMU and for our work. It is truly a two-way road and even though we are striving to “simplify the credible and objective information needed to buy mattresses”(I like this :slight_smile: ) this serves only as a launch pad because ultimately it is the consumer who needs to take responsibility and integrate any information or knowledge we pass on to apply it to their own need, preferences, and circumstances.

I am glad that you adjusted to your new mattress and the mattress to you and that you are getting a good night sleep. As you are well aware, Arizona Premium is a Trusted member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service they offer to consumers, knowledge, and transparency. Thank you for choosing from our trusted members.

I look forward to any updates you might have once you have the chance to sleep on it for a while longer.

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed response.

I ended up buying that product. Honestly, it was the only affordable wool topper I could find that was at least 1".

I can say that it does make a noticeable difference in terms of temperature. It also firmed up the mattress a bit, which I like.

I am also using a memory foam pillow (one-piece), so I decided to change that as well. Tried a buckwheat pillow and no-go.

Bought a talalay latex pillow today so hopefully that will help as well.

Hi all
I need an xl twin mattress for the new bunk bed (Here is a link - https://www.smarthomedesk.com/best-loft-beds-for-adults-and-kids/) I’m ordering - most of the nicer mattresses are too thick (I need it to be 8" or shorter) and ikea doesn’t make xl twin size, or I’d just get one there. Any recommendations? I want to keep it on the cheaper side - $500 or less

Hi peppyaf,

You are welcome and thanks for the update. I’m am glad that you noticed a difference, it’s completely subjective that is why we always tell each person…“you” are the only one that can decide on the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I am glad that you opted for a Talalay pillow. It should be cooler than the memory foam …. let us know if you see a difference.

Phoenix

Did you go Quadra Flex or Ultimate Hybrid?