How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hey Nirvana,

No I wasnā€™t referencing Zenhaven, I was only making general observations about comparing and matching feels.

Thanks.

Sensei

understood, but you seem to say that ā€œwhen one puts up to 4 or 5 inches of high quality comfort layers above the coil system, the zoning effect from the ā€œcoreā€ is minimal, if not useless that far below the surface.ā€ I am filled with angst becuase the idea of latex is appealing but I have never had a mattress without springs.

Hi joekane,

Nice work going back to Magic Sleeper and going through the PPPā€¦impressive. As I said before, it is always nice for other consumers to read about other consumers doing the necessary research, thank you for that.

And congratulations on the new mattress. Yes, we look forward to the update, but please take some time for you to adjust to the new mattress and the new mattress adjust to you :).

Phoenix

Iā€™m glad you responded, Sensei. Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about zoning too. It seems to help me in the hip region of the Zenhavenā€¦when my hip doesnā€™t feel enough support (ie, once my shoulder is finally happy), my back starts to spasm and the band across the top of my hips (on the back) starts to seize up. Luma told me yesterday on the phone I would adjust to not having zoned support but itā€™s so painful Iā€™m not sure I actually would. I am 95% side sleeper, average 135lb 5ā€™4" female shape.

I love everything about all-latex mattresses except the lack of zoning options under $2k. Question: could you just slip a board or two under the mattress in the hip region? Would that work for extra hip support?

Hey,

I wanted to ask a question but I couldnā€™t post a new topic in the general forum, then I couldnā€™t find a closely related topic so I decided to do it here. Not sure if I am breaking any rules. Please move my question if necessary.

Basically I am looking for a cost-effective way to deal with memory foam mattress that sleeps hot. I have a cheap Zinus 12" 3 layer ā€œgelā€ memory foam mattress. It is comfortable and has held up fine for the last 1.5 years. I donā€™t want to buy a new one yet as I will be moving at the end of the year/early next year so I will buy a new King mattress for the new place.

In the meantime, I am looking for a way to make things for comfortable temperature-wise. I already use a fan and windows. I use cotton bedding and a light comforter. I also sleep half naked.

I was looking at mattress toppers. Read about latex and wool. Latex seems to be good for temperature if it is Talalay only which I canā€™t find for a decent price. Wool is slightly cheaper but still not many options. Dunlop seems to be same price as wool. I am in Canada (Toronto.) I am going to order this. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N1XPPXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts for my situation and the product I picked out? Is there something else I should buy instead? Thanks,

Hi peppyaf.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

We have moved your post to its own topic and renamed it ā€œsleeping hot ā€¦ā€ to better describe your issue,

Sorry to hear that you are sleeping hot in your 1.5 years old Zinus mattress, but you are certainly on the right track with looking to place a component to help you get some distance between you and the less breathable memory foam underneath. This would be is a good temporary band-aid, until you move on to a more appropriate product. The temperature sleeping microclimate is a complex issue as it depends on so many interrelated variablesā€¦ but you are correct that generally adding a wool topper will have a more significant effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than the other less breathable materials, layers, and components in your mattress.

Regarding the Amazon product link, you provided,ā€¦ the 1" wool reversible pad manufactured is in China for Down Feather Healthy Bedding and looks interesting, but as with many new Amazon products, there is just not enough history, or details of who makes it ā€¦ to have enough confidence. On Amazon, the product is displayed with an ā€œOeko-Texā€ logo but again there is no other more specific info that a more transparent company would make it readily available such as i.e., date tested, certification number, manufacturer, etc. This is not implying that this particular product doesnā€™t have the certification but Iā€™d make sure to check out that it has very clear certificates stating product and manufacturer, etc etc. This one of the reasons why TMU is so selective with our membership and why we point out to products from companies that we have a high level of confidence and knowledge. Iā€™d recommend that you reach out to some of our Canadian trusted members especially MFC , one of our expert members with many years of experience in memory foam products and ways to mitigate temperature regulation issues.

While itā€™s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress). You have already made many adjustments in your sleep system to mitigate the issue, which quite frankly may have more effect on heat than any bedding or mattress product you find online. There simply is not any real credible data. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. You may also wish to read more about the Sleeping Microclimate and Temperature Control in post #6 here that talks about all the many factors that are involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress.

Iā€™d recommend that you reach out to some of our Canadian trusted members especially MFC , one of our expert members with many years of experience in memory foam products and ways to mitigate temperature regulation issues.

I would be interested to hear back from you to learn what you decided and I or any other Expert Member of the site would be glad assist you with any other questions that you may have.

Phoenix

My new Arizona Premium latex mattress arrived piecemeal over several days last week. I purchased DIY 3 3" layers, all natural: soft Talalay, medium Talalay and firm Dunlop with a zippered cover. When the mattress cover arrived, I put the layers in the mattress and it was a very tight fit. The mattress was much firmer than I expected as I had tested similar configurations in local stores. After sleeping on it for a couple of nights, I raised my concern to Ken at AZP. He said that was normal and that I should give it a couple of weeks for the cover to stretch and the latex to soften. That has been happening and a week later it seems more comfortable although I would like it to soften more. I would judge my sleeping as normal, no better but no worse than before. I do have some mild lower back pain but I have had that for many years, so I do not believe the new mattress is a factor in that. However, I do believe this is a good product and I am glad that I chose a latex mattress, especially a 3 layer one where I can switch layers if necessary. The DIY approach saves some money and gave me the flexibility to choose what layers I wanted. The only caveat is there is a no return policy for DIY, but that was not a major concern because I was pretty confident this would work.

Thanks for your help and advice in researching and buying the mattress. TMU is a great website for mattresses. You simplify the credible and objective information needed to buy mattresses whereas most mattress websites are nothing more than shills for mattress companies.

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

I have to say the ā€œplywoodā€ as firmed up many a mattress over the years for consumers, I personally have not read about it being used for support in a specific region. Of course, it will ā€œworkā€ in some form and fashion, and is certainly worth trying. I can check with Phoenix and see if any other information may be around the TMU site.

Thanks,

Sensei

Hi johnep,

It is so nice to read your update on your well-researched DIY and the decisions you made. Thank you for your kind words of appreciation about TMU and for our work. It is truly a two-way road and even though we are striving to ā€œsimplify the credible and objective information needed to buy mattressesā€(I like this :slight_smile: ) this serves only as a launch pad because ultimately it is the consumer who needs to take responsibility and integrate any information or knowledge we pass on to apply it to their own need, preferences, and circumstances.

I am glad that you adjusted to your new mattress and the mattress to you and that you are getting a good night sleep. As you are well aware, Arizona Premium is a Trusted member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service they offer to consumers, knowledge, and transparency. Thank you for choosing from our trusted members.

I look forward to any updates you might have once you have the chance to sleep on it for a while longer.

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed response.

I ended up buying that product. Honestly, it was the only affordable wool topper I could find that was at least 1".

I can say that it does make a noticeable difference in terms of temperature. It also firmed up the mattress a bit, which I like.

I am also using a memory foam pillow (one-piece), so I decided to change that as well. Tried a buckwheat pillow and no-go.

Bought a talalay latex pillow today so hopefully that will help as well.

Hi all
I need an xl twin mattress for the new bunk bed (Here is a link - https://www.smarthomedesk.com/best-loft-beds-for-adults-and-kids/) Iā€™m ordering - most of the nicer mattresses are too thick (I need it to be 8" or shorter) and ikea doesnā€™t make xl twin size, or Iā€™d just get one there. Any recommendations? I want to keep it on the cheaper side - $500 or less

Hi peppyaf,

You are welcome and thanks for the update. Iā€™m am glad that you noticed a difference, itā€™s completely subjective that is why we always tell each personā€¦ā€œyouā€ are the only one that can decide on the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I am glad that you opted for a Talalay pillow. It should be cooler than the memory foam ā€¦. let us know if you see a difference.

Phoenix

Did you go Quadra Flex or Ultimate Hybrid?

Hi,

Has anyone ever replaced their sofa air-bed with a foam or other type of mattress. We own a 2013 Bighorn, and have used the airbed for the grandkids a number of times, but it's already loosing air overnight and I'm looking for another type of solution other than replacing it with the same product !

Thanks,
Steven

Phoenix,

Well, we are one week in one the new mattress. So far, itā€™s fantastic. No adjustment period necessary so far, except to get used to being much more comfortable.

The Mrs. loves it, and it has definitely slowed down the rotisserie for me.

The experience with Magic Sleeper was greatā€¦all the way through delivery.

I will check in if things change as we get on, but so far weā€™re really happy with it.

Hi Doruak,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

You can check some of our trusted members. I did a quick check and and found that Flexus Comfort has a TXL 7" latex mattress for $439 - Flexus Select latex mattress..

Thanks again for the question.

Sensei

Hi joekane,

So great to hear the mattress is working out well, and all good with Magic Sleeper.

Thank you so much for sending in an update, itā€™s really appreciated by TMU and the visiting consumer members.

Sleep well!
Phoenix

Hey Domono,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. When I was looking into this issue for you, I read on the Heartlandowners.org site that many people complained of air leaks. There is a ā€œrepait kitā€ that comes with it, that seems to work if you are able to easily locate the leak. That said, many people replaced the air mattress. You can replace it with another air mattress or purchase the correct size foam, either memory foam or latex foam, but would certainly work well with grandkids.

I think 3" toppers work well for kids sleepovers, at our house we have a bunch ot twin size 3" latex toppers, mostly medium firmness, and everyone loves them, and of course, good latex lasts forever. If you are so inclined you can talk to any of our trusted membersand they can steer you in the right direction. Either way, you should be ok with replacing it with your choice of material.

Thanks again
Sensei

Thanks for the wealth of the information provided on this site. I also wholeheartedly agree that you can quickly suffer from information overload with mattress info. Regarding online reviews. I have never traversed a more difficult information search with so little actual statistical information. and discovered only after reading the articles here why so many mattresses showed up in the same places in so many reviews.

Sadly - it also led to a puchase which is not going well. After cruising many reviews, we went with the layla mattress. (only discovering this forum after wards) And itā€™s break in had been less than stellar. It is not fitting our needs, and is failing to live up to the review hype of ā€œsoftā€ even after several processes like walking across it to accelerate the break in. To our opinion, even the ā€œsoftā€ side is far too hard- which is leaving us to consider other options as the return term comes up. caveat emptor.

Once again, weā€™re on the hunt for a king size mattress. The mattress we are replacing is a queen size serta, vera wang latex, which as served us very well for the last decade - if it was still made, we would have purchased another one without any issue. Itā€™s only shortcoming was being a little firm for our tastes, so we added a 3" latex topper shortly after purchase, and an additional memory foam topper later.

The specifics:
Me 6ā€™, 205-215# (depending on the season)
the wife: 5ā€™, 120#
weā€™re both 90% side/10% back sleepers
both of us love soft mattresses. the softer the better. both of us seem to be highly sensitive to hip pain from harder mattresses we encounter.
budget: under $2000 ideal, $3000 max (if we can find another mattress that will serve a decade with little to no breakdown) - price is well worth it. thatā€™s $30 a month. we can eat out one night a month less if we have to.

limitations: allergies - to wool. which is why we now tried a memory foam type. I was unable to locate online latex retailers that did not use wool in the construction. We would also prefer a solid foam construction for the movement isolation
also height. keeping the mattress to 12" or less is ideal with our current foundation.

It would be great to find another latex mattress, but if need be, we are exploring the simple option of getting another topper, but after reading a few more details about the foam density of the layla, I doubt weā€™d get more than 5 years out of it before we noticed the breakdown. I question whether a quality latex topper would be a cost effective investment at that point

I guess what weā€™re looking for at this point is some more credible information to research an actual soft mattress, based on real definable numbers we can compare against. We have tried a few of the other popular types out there, like the purple, and a few hybrids, and while fairly comfortable (as much as one can determine from 15 minutes laying on them) we could tell the difference in the way mattress handles motion from our current solid foam. Weā€™re familiar with latex, but have enjoyed the cradling sinking feeling of the softest tempur mattresses weā€™ve laid on.

Due to location, and limits of not having a large city nearby. retailers that ship are basically also a priority.

This site and forum are a fantastic resource, I really appreciate all of the great detailed information, thank you to all the experts and authors. After reading through all of the primers and a good chunk of forum posts, Iā€™ve narrowed down what I think might work best, but would appreciate if I could compare notes and check if my thinking makes sense. (I apologize if this is not the right place to post this question, I couldnā€™t find a specific section just for recommendations).

Background:
Myself: 5ā€™10", 130 lbs, BMI 19, female, wide hips but wider shoulders, small waist, lanky, long neck/torso
FiancĆ©: 6ā€™8", 225 lbs, BMI 25, male, wide shoulders, small waist, lanky, loooong legs
Sleeping Style: roughly 60% side, 40% back/stomach, moderate tossing/turning
Key Concerns: I often have lower right back pain, that area is often inflamed and protrudes more than the left side so Iā€™m uneven; I recently injured my neck and wake up with stiff and sore neck/shoulders; my fiancĆ© often wakes up sore with aches in his shoulders and back
Other Considerations: my fiancƩ often feels hot when asleep, so something breathable and temperature neutral would be great; not sure how to phrase this properly, but we have an active sex life so that is a major consideration in addition to sleep quality
Current Frame: Solid wood platform bed, queen, 17 slats, center support leg, max 800 lbs
Current Bed: Simmons Beautysleep (Crate & Barrel version), queen, already sagging on my fiancƩs side after ~1 year, can feel the springs in other areas
Budget: ~$1,000-$1,500 (but willing to spend more if thereā€™s a compelling reason)

Proposed Build:
Support core: 6-8" non-zoned pocket coil innerspring with support edge (e.g. L&P Bolsa Quantum Edge Elite)
Comfort layer: 3" talalay (natural or blend), medium (high-20s, low-30s ILD)
Cover: ~1" wool or bamboo

Questions:

1. Does a hybrid latex/innerspring seem like the right choice?
  2. Originally was leaning toward a zoned innerspring (e.g. L&P combi-zone), but seems like zoned is less ideal for side sleepers and really tall folks. Is that correct?
  3. Arizona Premium Mattress seems perfect for this type of build, but are there other manufacturers/sellers that we should check out? Also considering Luma Natural Latex Hybrid and Nest Hybrid Latex.
  4. APMā€™s Bolsa is 6" and CombiZone is 8", does innerspring height make a difference for us?
  5. Seems like side sleepers should aim for softer comfort layers, but heavier folks should aim for firmer (which will end up feeling softer), so am I right in thinking we should average out to medium (high-20s ILD)?
  6. Do we need a second comfort layer or is a 3" latex comfort layer sufficient given our stats?

Thanks so much for your help!!