How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Yeah, well i meant a pure innerspring as opposed to a hybrid, and yes they only sell hybrids or all foam.

NEW MATTRESS AND CHOICE OF MATERIALS

Dear all,

Iā€™m new to the forum and find it extremely helpful. Iā€™m really struggling as for the last 4 years we have been through 4 different mattresses and frankly none of them have worked so far. We have bought different things from a basic mattress to more expensive ones and on-top we have experimented with some top-mattresses. Key challenge we have is that they get hot: memory foam was absolutely terrible but experience with Latex with ā€œcooling effectā€ and natural latex was also not great.

Iā€™ve identified a mattress Iā€™m interested in, key characteristics:

• itā€™s organic and with natural material, chemical-free, non-toxic
  • pocket sprung in cotton pockets
  • lambswool on-top combined with either Denim or Natural Latex (perforated) in the middle.

My key question is which of the two would be the most preferable material: Denim or Latex for the filling. My view:

• Denim: I like Denim because itā€™s natural and I feel that it will be really ā€œbreathableā€.
  • Latex: the manufacturer says that this is the most breathable material of the two, especially as there are holes in it, however as talked I have bad experience with it and Iā€™m not persuaded.

Any thoughts/consideration/guidance would be really appreciated,

Peter

Hi PeterKKB,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I have moved your post to its own thread as from your description I am guessing that you are looking at some European beds.

Sorry to hear that none of the 4 different mattresses you tried hasnā€™t worked out for you. Youā€™ve certainly struggled through this and did good work as your current final choice has many ā€œcharacteristicsā€ of a mattress that sleeps much cooler than a typical memory foam mattress. While I can confirm your findings in terms of material choices ā€¦ the sleeping temperature of a mattress is determined always by a combination of several interacting factors in combination with a specific person and environment.

There is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials but all the materials used in your mattress of choice favor breathability, moisture-wicking, and a much cooler sleeping climate. To summarize and add a few other factors to consider:

ā€¢ You are correct to move away from the memory foam as this is the least breathable foam and can sleep warmer than other materials.
ā€¢ While the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation ā€¦ deeper support components that allow more airflow also have an effect and so pocket coils are one of the most breathable types of cores and will also tend to sleep cooler than foam support cores as long as the air can ventilate to the outside of the mattress.
ā€¢ Latex also is the most breathable and ā€œtemperature neutralā€ of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. Latex allows for more airflow than any other foams and when changing positions on the mattress the air will be moved in and out like within an accordion but this depends also on the order of the layers and components.
ā€¢ Wool is also a great choice in the comfort layer because of its ability to store moisture and perspiration without feeling wet (it stores moisture inside the fiber itself) and regulates temperature this is also great used in combination with cotton because of its ability to wick moisture away from the body into the wool. Cotton doesnā€™t, however, store moisture as well as wool without feeling wet.
ā€¢ I am not aware of any specific mattress that uses ā€œDenim fillingā€ unless you are just referring to a Denim mattress cover that the bed uses. (You may wish to provide a link to the mattress you are asking about ā€¦ Iā€™d be very interested to see it)
ā€¢ In very general terms ā€¦ the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more ā€œinsulatingā€ and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses and how they compare would also depend slightly on the order of the layers and components

The temperature microclimate has much to do with your own temperature sensitivity, the materials used in the mattress that are closer to the skin and many other many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, the mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and also where you are in the ā€œoven to icebergā€ range) . Generally, some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with but you can read more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Iā€™ll be interested to learn about how you progress through your evaluation.
Phoenix

Thanks a lot Phoenix, this is most useful. Essentially it feels that both options could potentially be good with Latex having an advantage. Iā€™m really intrigued by Denim (itā€™s actually a combination of recycled denim with cotton) but a bit afraid from your watch out that cotton might not be as breathable. Thanks again for the input!

Dear Phoenix, further to your message please find attached the 2 mattresses I was talking to you about:
Denim: https://www.naturalmat.co.uk/splendid-spring-soft
Latex: https://www.naturalmat.co.uk/sumptuous-spring-soft

Any thoughts are more than welcome, thanks again!

Hi PeterKKB,

Thanks for providing the links to your two mattress finalists manufactured by the UK based company Naturalmat.

Based on your criteria you are in the fortunate position that both would likely be a suitable choice with no weak links in terms of durability and great in terms of temperature regulation. From your previous description, I was a bit concerned about the use of recycled cotton in a mattress but the denim used in their mattress filling is thoroughly cleaned, shredded, and futher processed using noninvasive methods.

Generally, cotton and various cellulosic fibers are more cooling than synthetic fibers and my note regarding cotton was more connected to possible ā€œclamminessā€ and humidity, which are certainly related to temperature regulation. While cotton is a more temperature neutral material it may feel clammy or humid when saturated but in the case of Splendid Spring, the denim is used in combination and placed under a layer of lambā€™s wool which has the ability wick away and to store moisture into its fiber. Additionally, the wool layer is closer to your body and any moisture absorbed by the cotton mattress cover will be ā€œtransferredā€ to the lambā€™s wool layer thus reducing the feeling of clamminess. All in all, it is still a great combination for wicking moisture away. The Sumptuous Spring option may give you slightly more of a cooling effect due to a little more air circulation but it is also double the price of the Splendid Spring. Both mattresses are well designed and use good/quality materials. The company is environmentally aware and using natural biodegradable components and sourcing their materials based on Fair Trade principles

Your choice between ā€œgood and goodā€ would depend on all the criteria of your personal value equation that were most important to you as outlined in post #2 here and can be helpful to revisit and perhaps a more detailed conversations about each of their 2 products you are considering, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after the purchase to fine-tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on "informed best judgment.

I look forward to hearing back about your final decision and any other questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Hey WTBSleepSev,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! My apologizes to you, it seems your question was lost a bit in the holiday chaos. Just to recap, here are a few of your quotes:

It sounds like you have put a good amount of time in experimenting between BBā€™s Medium Firm Signature vs. their Firm Signature, sorry to hear that youā€™re still experiencing discomfort from the comfort layers. As itā€™s been awhile since your post, can you offer any updates on your current BB situation? Are you still considering one of their Bloom, Spartan, or Aurora Hybrids? To better reach other consumers who may be following your research, Iā€™m renaming your topic to ā€œBrooklyn Bedding: Comparing Brooklyn Signature, Bloom, Spartan, Aurora Hybridsā€. I did reach out to them via Chat for further questioning and was offered this Customer Support number: 888-210-8751.

Looking forward to hearing more when you have updatesā€¦
Thanks,
Sensei

I understand that most mattress review sites are junk, but what about consumer reports? They are well established and as far as Iā€™m aware have a good reputation. They have a lot of cheaper mattresses well rated and Iā€™m curious if they can be trusted in their reviews of mattresses.

Hey Lokenzal,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Here are some thoughts from a previous Phoenix post that best expresses our views on the CR topic, post #2 here:

Thanks,
Sensei

Hey, so the update is that I am leaning toward the Aurora, and considering other companies as well. I can still sleep on my plain old innerspring just fine, but even after trying the floor test (taking away my frame) im still not getting support and wake up with a weak feeling in my lower back, sides, and between shoulders. So the firmness wasnt the issue, the BB signature just doesnt support me sadly. I gave my dad my medium firm signature, per their return policy, and he is about my same height and weight, but he is loving it, i wish i had lol. So now I am debating the aurora, or maybe trying purple or bear or saavata. Iā€™ll keep you posted.

One other thing of note, the first BB rep I spoke with and explained everything about the 2 BB signatures I had tried, advised me to go with another brand of theirs the ā€œTitanā€ company matress with heavier coils. However, after talking to the more recent rep, this rep advised the aurora from their main line. So, getting some inconsistency, they said the difference was because they think the titan would bear up better against my weight, but the 2nd rep said they thought it would be too firm for my smaller wife. Confusing, when I gave both of them the same info.

Aurora firm should be here tuesday, ill let you know how it works out.

Hey WTBSleepSev,

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Aurora firm and hope that you and your wife are closer to a more supportive mattress solution :slight_smile: .

Cheers,
Sensei

So almost a year later, I am looking for a permanent solution - a new bed.

I started shopping around but it is difficult with the amount of choices available. It is also hard to gauge how much you will like a mattress by just laying on it for a minute or so in a store.

I am trying to find a King-sized mattress, suitable for side sleeping, but the most important thing is that it should sleep cool. Budget is around $2000CAD but I can increase a bit if I have to.

I looked at latex:

Do you have any insight on these?

What sleeps cooler between All Latex, Latex on top of coils (I havenā€™t seen any like this), Latex on top of foam (tons like this)?

What about the purple mattress (buckling column on top of foam)? How is that temperature regulation compared to latex?

I understand that coils will be the coolest but I would still need a comfort layer on top right? And memory foam is the most common comfort layer but it sleeps hot.

Any other materials or type of mattresses I should be looking at and researching?

Thank you

Hey peppyaf,

Welcome back to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey :slight_smile: ! Sounds like you have all of the basics covered in terms of your preferences and beginning research.

For condensing and clarity, Iā€™ve bundled your questions/ my responses regarding these online mattresses together. As Wayfair.com has many imported mattresses, it is impossible to comment on the myriad of resellers that come and go and on the comfort/ durability of their ever-changing products. The specs for the 10" medium latex mattress in the above link (includes 1" of poly foam, 3" of Talalay latex foam and a 5.5" high density base foam) seem fairly basic and Wayfair has a 100-night free sleep trial; that being said, you would want to get verbal/ written clarification on what your exchange/ return/ warranty options are should you go that route.

The Casa Loma mattress/ Galaxy Bedding option (includes 1" latex over a 6" zoned latex comfort layer, 2.5" zoned latex core support layer), is a compressed mattress offered by National Mattress Outlet Plus. Their comfort exchange guarantee of 90 nights, slightly shorter and involves a $95 exchange fee, as well as some other considerations worth noting, you would also want to get verbal/ written clarification on what your exchange/ return/ warranty options are should you go that route.

The Mausund/ Ikea mattress offered the least amount of details (includes natural/ synthetic latex comfort layer, with a wool wadding filling. Their site mentions a 365 day exchange policy, you will want to research that further as they also state that pick up for large item returns isnā€™t available in all areas.

By ā€œlocal guysā€, are you referring to a nearby mattress manufacturer/ retailer? Often these resources can be quite helpful with answering questions and offering guidance for custom built mattresses. Get some local feedback if possible on the quality of their material, workmanship and what exchange/ return policies/ warranties they offer on their custom products.

Purple is known for itā€™s use of a Buckling column gel support layer, a newer dry-polymer material with a smooth, rubbery feel, set into either hexagonal or square ā€œcolumnsā€ designed in a unique support system, you can read more about Mattress comfort layers- Buckling column gel here. While the ā€œPurple gridā€ layer with its ā€œopen air channelsā€ is directly below the SoftFlex cover, its temperature feel would also depend on the materials/ construction of the layers beneath. While I have no direct experience with Purple and will not speculate on what temperature regulating qualities it may have, many retailers are carrying it in their showrooms now, you would want to spend some time testing a floor model as only you can ā€œfeelā€ what you feel in terms of ā€œsleeping coolā€.

Latex foam is widely recognized as the most ā€œbreathableā€ and ā€œsleeping coolā€ material in mattress components. Coils within the base of a mattress are a support mechanism and are not related to the ā€œcoolingā€ properties of the support/ comfort layers, that is determined by the type foams, fabrics and other materials used in the overall construction.

Memory foam is a very soft material, especially when heat and pressure is applied and it ā€œmeltsā€ into a semi solid form. It does an excellent job of forming a cradle and relieving pressure and has become more popular as a comfort layer for this reason, you can read more about Mattress comfort layers- memory foam- and latex here.

Sounds like a good query for our consumer subscribers, would be interested to hear what others have to say on the subject :wink: .

Any new developments on your mattress research?

Thanks,
Sensei

(i forgot i had this thread and have been replying to the bed and a box one)

So, the new BB Aurora mattress seems to be good for my lower back, but im now having issues with my upper back, specifically between my shoulder blades. Im thinking this might be pillow related? I have a 3 year old memory foam pillow, which when new was used with an innerspring mattress that had a pillow top. Had no issues then, and due to the overwhelming issues I had when i switched to a pure memory foam 2 years ago, never considered my pillow as contributing to my problems. Although in retrospect i did have the same pain between my shoulder blades then. I dont believe I had issues with my upper back as much with the previous BB signature mattresses, but if i did they were overridden by the lower back issues. So i think im going to try a couple of pillows, maybe the my pillow and one of those curved memory foams. I am a side and stomach sleeper by habit, but over the last few years have trained myself to sleep more on my back. So iā€™ve read that it can benefit you to have different types of pillows and in different places. Im going to try and avoid the stomach position, and mainly do side and back with these new pillows and see if it doesnt improve the situation.

Thanks for your responses.

I tried the Mausund at ikea and not sure if I like the latex feel. It was more bouncy and soft than I expected but it also felt ā€œfloppyā€ and finicky.

I have heard other reports of all latex heating up. And I have heard other experts say coil based with a light layer of memory foam on top stays cool.

Unfortunately no in store Purples in Canada to try.

I am pivoting my search to hybrid mattresses right now. Top of my list is Silk and Snow Hybrid. Reviews seems good with buyers sleeping cool. They also have a showroom near me and a 100+ night return policy if I happen to sleep hot.

Iā€™m going to go from thereā€¦ Thanks.

I just wanna sayā€¦

When I started looking for mattresses a few weeks ago, Latex really intrigued me when doing research online. Because of this, I wanted to be sure to try out a couple (along with various spring ones) to help make a decision.

The first place I went was Ikea. I wasnā€™t planning to get a mattress there, but theyā€™re 10 min from my house, and I new they had a couple Latex mattresses.

The Latex mattresses at Ikea were TERRIBLE. they felt like they had an inch of super soft material, and then a cement block under that. Basically, I sat on it and instantly compressed the soft layer and was left feeling the firmest bed Iā€™ve ever felt. And thatā€™s saying something being Iā€™ve slept on a firm mattress my whole life.

Anywaysā€¦after going to a few places and trying stuff (Purple, Leesa, Casper, Serta, Simons, etc.) I went to the original mattress factory. They too had a latex mattressā€¦and I gotta say, it was one of my favorites that I laid on.

The latex bed felt a lot like a standard foam mattress to me. I honestly couldnā€™t tell much difference between it and the foam bed next to it. That said, due to the cooling capability and durability of Latex, I was pretty set on wanting a Latex mattress.

I ended up going with a DIY option from Arizona Premium Mattress (hasnā€™t arrived yet). But the moral of the story isā€¦
Donā€™t discount Latex purely based on an IKEA experience
Like seriouslyā€¦I hated the IKEA mattress and was about ready to discount latex entirely. Iā€™m so glad that another local store had a Latex option for me to tryā€¦because it was night and day of a difference.

Hey BChaps,

Congrats on your new mattress purchase, BChaps :cheer: ! Thanks for choosing trusted memberArizona Premium Mattress, feel strongly that each of these industry experts have the knowledge and experience to help their customers make informed buying decisions and are among the best choices in the industry. Thanks too @KenHightower for your excellent response and support of all TMU consumer subscribers. Looking forward to hearing more about your DIY project as everything comes together. BTW, howā€™s the bed base construction coming along?

Cheers,
Sensei

Hey rp0475,

I saw your post here and wanted to follow up, as my partner and I had a very similar experience with an all-latex mattress recently.

What was your resolution, if you donā€™t mind me asking?