How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi lpeterson,

Iā€™m happy to speak to the quality of a mattress (and both of the mattresses you are considering use high quality materials) but mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here has more information about the two different ways to choose a design and layering that is most suitable for you.

Either your own careful and objective testing and experience on a mattress or more detailed conversations with a manufacturer or retailer along with the options you have before and after a purchase in terms of fine tuning or exchanging a mattress that you havenā€™t tested in person are the best way to choose the specifics of which design has the best odds of working well for you and is the best match for your personal value equation. This will give you a much more clear idea of which mattress is the best match for your own unique needs and preferences and the final choice between ā€œgood and goodā€ that is best for you.

There are far too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences to use ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ to make good choices when it comes to PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences)

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. Will start pouring over the details on this fabulous website. Can you point me in the direction of any retailers in Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin? Thank you.

Hi lpeterson,

Regions are too large for me to look through and most of the forum lists are centered on a city. If you can give me your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of.

Phoenix

We just purchased a Flobed Vzone. Canā€™t wait to get it! They recommended XF, XF, F for my husband and M, M, F for myself. The Vzoneā€™s are also customized for my husband and i with F/XF/F for my husband and S,M,S for my shoulder, lumbar, hip regions. Plus it comes with two shredded latex pillows. Mentioned Mattress Underground and got the 5% discount too.

Hi lpeterson,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know Flobeds is a member here which means I consider them to compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service and their vZone is certainly one of the most customizable options available.

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about your experience when you receive it.

Phoenix

Informative post! Thanks for the info!

Hi Phoenix,
Great informative website! Iā€™ve read all the overviews already too.

Can you please give me a recommended mattress outlet or store in 91801 Alhambra, CA?

Thanks again. You rock.

Hi kenzo,

Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Some of the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Good luck ā€¦ and of course if you have any feedback or questions along the way that I can answer donā€™t hesitate to post them here.

Phoenix

Personally I sleep on a covered 6 inch HR 2.75lbs 34 ILD foam core. I have then added 2 covered toppers, the first is 2 inches of 3lbs Energia foam, and topped it off with 2 inches of 5lbs AERUS Memory Foam. I find that the memory foam on top of Energia with has a high resilience, makes the memory foam feel much more comfortable, as it is resting on a soft bouncy surface. This gives my mattress a bit of bounce with is great when I want to move in bed, or simply make love to my wife. The other advantage of this construction is that I can simply change the topper layers whenever I want, since they are independent of the HR core. If I want to make my bed firmer, or softer, or if the comfort level wears out, I simply change the top layers without discarding the whole mattress.

So glad I stumbled upon this site! Iā€™ve been sleeping on a W hotel pillowtop the last five years because they had it on the website for 40% off at the time I bought. Just started shopping for a new mattress and I want to make sure I make a good choice but it is absolutely exhausting. I almost pulled the trigger on a serta cool elegance or a sleeping beauty kristen pillowtop at a Sleepyā€™s store tonight. Everything I try in the store feels good to me. Itā€™s so tough to know whatā€™s really a good mattress. Are there any stores in MD or VA you could suggest that could help me find the right bed at the right price?

Thx in advance!

Hi dk410,

Hopefully youā€™ve read this already but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices (and avoid the worst ones including the major brands and anything they sell at Sleepyā€™s or other large chains).

If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Wow thank you for the quick response. I did read that post. Very informative but itā€™s left me even more nervous about shelling out my cash on something that isnā€™t absolutely perfect for me and my wife. Iā€™d love to get in touch with a reputable dealer who could help us. We live in Columbia, md 21045 and at this point Iā€™m more than happy to travel if I have to. Thanks!

Hi dk410,

Itā€™s probably a good thing to be a little nervous about buying a mattress considering all the misinformation and lower quality/value choices out there ā€¦ in the mainstream market expecially.

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of near you are listed in post #2 here.

If you follow all the steps in the tutorial post one by one, test each mattress carefully and objectively for PPP, make sure you know or can find out the type and quality of all the materials and components in any mattress you are considering or testing, and focus on retailers or manufacturers that are knowledgeable and comfortable talking about the materials in their mattresses and providing you with specific information and good guidance (instead of just generic or marketing information for the sake of making the sale) your odds of success will be very high.

Phoenix

Not sure how I missed that but thank you so much. Iā€™m going to visit healthyback, mattress fame, md mattress man, and discount mattress outlet next week. I need to purchase something by months end. I already feel much better knowing there are reputable dealers near me that carry good product. Iā€™ll let you know what I end up going with!

Great guide, as someone who just moved out on their own and never purchased a mattress before, this really helped. I like to do a lot of research before a big purchase in order to try to make the most of it and Iā€™m glad I stumbled across this resource.

About to pull the trigger on a queen size 11" pure latex bliss at mattress fame. Will this be the same mattress as the one carried in the healthy back store? And does $1945 delivered with platform sound like a fair price? Thanks so much for the help!

Hi dk410,

It has the same materials as the Healthy Back models (Talalay latex and Talalay Gl fast response) but it may be a different combination of the same materials and may have a different ā€œfeelā€ than one of the specific mattresses at Healthy Back. I donā€™t think that Healthy Back has a similar model to the Nutrition as far as I know.

That depends on which mattress you are considering and what else you are comparing it to and on your own ā€œpersonal value equationā€ (I look more at the ā€œvalueā€ of the complete purchase rather than just the ā€œmaterial valueā€ of the mattress itself). If this is the PLB Nutrition though and you are purchasing the set then it seems to be good ā€œmaterial valueā€ to me yes.

You can also use some of the stores in post #32 here that also sell the PLB mattresses online as a value comparison.

Phoenix

so happy i found this site. it has definitely helped build confidence in me to make an online mattress purchase.

at this time, weā€™re going to give extra weight to the budget side of things and get a dreamfoam - ultimate dreams from amazon.

thanks for all of the information on this site.

Hi mcaliste,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Youā€™ve certainly made a very good quality/value choice.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Dream Foam Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress on Amazon for $600. or Organic Latex Mattress 10000 Queen by Sleep EZ for $2000. Is there that much different between these two? I want to buy soon but am a little unsure.