How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

kristenpark - Assembling latex layers and getting them to line up can be tricky and quite frustrating as youā€™ve experienced. Here are a couple of videos explaining the proper process for waving the layers into place which I hope youā€™ll find helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPAhUQT2QM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRwYKo2v0o

Thank you so much! Thatā€™s very helpful.

My PlushBed is sagging in the middle. I doubt itā€™s a defect. I am hoping that once I get all the layers in correctly it wonā€™t sag any longer. The bed seems to be too wide for the frame, but again I think thatā€™s the layers.

I will work on getting the layers in correctly this weekend!

kristenpark - Since you mentioned your mattress is sagging in the middle Iā€™d also suggest that you verify your base or foundation is providing the proper type of support required for a latex mattress. As youā€™ve learned theyā€™re very heavy and different manufacturers have varying requirements as to the support needed for their mattresses as well as what is required to meet their warranty. Looking at PlushBeds site they describe their requirements here, particularly detailing what is required in the sections on foundations. If you are using an older boxspring under your new mattress that may be the cause of the sagging you noticed. You can also try the mattress temporarily placed directly on a carpeted floor to help determine whether the sag is actually a problem with the mattress itself or possibly being caused by your foundation.

Iā€™m using a slatted bed base with planks of wood. I had checked before buying, and it says it meets the criteria. I will try the mattress on the floor, as well as reworking the layers. It helped to see that you tuck the edges down.

Thank you so much for sending the videos, and for taking the time to respond. PlushBeds never responded to the message I sent to them about this. They also did a hard sell to me on the phone - they didnā€™t want to discuss any of their certifications, kept driving me to the sale, said they would give me their ā€œmanagers specialā€ if I bought then and there but they really just gave me the price on their website. I am not impressed with them.

Hi,

it seems weā€™re supposed to reply to this thread rather than start a new thread?

First of all, thanks for all the info in the original post!!

Iā€™m extremely light, low BMI, and every mattress Iā€™ve ever tried was too hard. Iā€™m looking for the lowest density possible. Iā€™m also extremely hot at night; so I was thinking linen and bamboo are the coolest, or maybe wool (since there seem to be no linen filled mattress toppers). I think Talalay would be too hot for me, so where can one find a super low density wool/bamboo/linen mattress pad? And is that really what I should look for?

Iā€™m wary of cooling gels or other ā€˜high techā€™ materials. When Iā€™ve bought such materials for clothes, they didnā€™t breath at all. I suspect natural materials are still best.

So maybe a thin, 100% bamboo cover, over a 5cm wool topper?

Or would latex be softer than wool? So maybe 1cm wool, and 4cm talalay?

You would think there would be some kind of wool/silk/linen/bamboo mixes, keeping things all natural while taking advantage of the cooling properties of each? With loose-knits?

Is there a difference between wool-fiber fillings, and a wool pad such as this?

https://oviland.ru/namatratcnik?_openstat=bWFya2V0LnlhbmRleC5ydTvQndCw0LzQsNGC0YDQsNGB0L3QuNC6INC40Lcg0L3QsNGC0YPRgNCw0LvRjNC90L7QuSDRiNC10YDRgdGC0Lg7Mmd4MS1uaE1MMjlTZU1wVzd3LWZDZzs&frommarket=https%3A%2F%2Fmarket.yandex.ru%2Fcatalog--namatrasniki-i-chekhly-dlia-matrasov%2F60756%2Flist%3Ftext%3Dшļæ½%25&ymclid=405802447041867818500007

Is one generally cooler or softer than the other?

Hi Albert,

Sorry for the delay, your question was moved to our section yesterday, and Iā€™ll try my best to help out.

If youā€™re looking for something to soften your mattress, I would suggest latex over wool because wool will compress over time and not have the same buoyancy and bounce-back that latex will provide long-term.

Instead, wool will settle and form a ā€œnestā€ around your body which many sleepers enjoy, but again in our opinion, it doesnā€™t help make the bed ā€œsoft and cushyā€ and it sounds like that is what you are looking for. This settling is part of the batting that compresses in a fiber wool topper.

The wool pad in your link looks like itā€™s a fleece wool pad, these donā€™t provide a ā€œdeepā€ cushioning, but rather a minimal surface softness, with the benefits of wool temperature control. Depending on the wool type, and process at the mill, sometimes the wool fleece can ā€œclumpā€ so you would want to follow manufacturer maintenance instructions.

Also, as a side note, natural latex does not sleep hot, so you should be OK, just be sure to cover the latex to avoid oxidation and that is where you would make sure the fabric covering the latex is made from natural fibers such as organic cotton or linen, because you are correct that covering with synthetic polyester will trap heat and you may sleep hot.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the reply!!

So I think ideal would be

Bamboo-cover
Wool-fleece (or a wool fiber pad, or maybe simply a loose-knit wool blanket, or maybe I donā€™t even need this layer?)
Talalay latex, lowest density possible (I think 14 ILD is the lowest you can get?) With as many ā€˜holesā€™ as possible

You might want to consider the ā€œUltimate Comfort Bamboo Mattress Padā€ sold by Cuddledown. Amazon may have something similar (and possibly less expensive). Iā€™m using this over a new 10" Sleep EZ talalay latex mattress, which has a cotton+wool zip-on covering.

Thanks. It looks like thatā€™s a mix of bamboo and synthetic. Wonā€™t the synthetic make it less breathable?

Iā€™m finding it impossible to find 14 ild talalay, sleeplikeabear has one thatā€™s 14-19, so I guess thatā€™s the softest possible.

cozypure has the Omni Sculpted, but I donā€™t see density info for it.

I think kg/m3 is actually better than ILD, because less density will be softer and more breathable. Is 60 kg/m3 the least dense possible for talalay? And if so, where can I find talalay of this density?

So I read that ILD is actually only used for ā€˜blendedā€™ mattresses, and 100% natural will only use ā€˜densityā€™. I saw one mattress that said it was 55 kg/m3, though it turned out to be blended latexā€¦ is it possible to find natural Talalay near 55 kg/m3 (or as low as possible, and ideally as cheap as possible). Iā€™m looking everywhere, and finding low-density Dunlop, low density blends, but no low-density Talalay. Iā€™ve been sleeping on a hard mattress on top of a blanket to try and soften it, but itā€™s giving me a sore neck, so I want to solve this as fast as possible, but I really want something thatā€™s gonna help me sleepā€¦ not a compromise (otherwise Iā€™ll just get this local 20% latex with cooling beads).

I found this bamboo sheet set (Iā€™m hoping itā€™s really bamboo), itā€™s expensive enough, so hopefully I can just put this over the latex and not need a fiber layer for extra-softness?

http://spim.ru/shop/postel/bamboo/Coffee_Fresh_36943_item/1_5_bed/

I emailed cozypure, and they said they canā€™t give a specific ā€˜densityā€™ because of the shape of their mattress. I like the shape (I think itā€™ll make it softer) and itā€™s a lower price than FoamSource or SpeelLikeaBearā€¦ but both of them give me density info so I can choose lowest density. Shipping to Russia will cost me about $150, so returns arenā€™t possible here.

Oh, re-reading the email, they said the OmniTopper is D65, which I guess means 65kg/m3. Combined with the shape Iā€™m thinking this is as soft and breathable as it gets? So Iā€™ll just throw a bamboo-sheet over it for protection/coolness? I think 2" is enough (even with the shape) because Iā€™m so light? If not, I could just layer some wool-quilted blankets over it?

https://sleeplikeabear.com/collections/talalay-latex-mattress-toppers/products/2-inch-100-percent-pure-all-natural-talalay-latex-rubber-only-mattress-toppers?variant=12332462506084

I re-adjusted my latex layers using the techniques in the videos. The bottom two layers are thick and I was able to make them smaller to fix into my bed frame. But the top layer is pretty thin, and that wasnā€™t as easy. I had someone help me, but after a lot of work the top layer is still larger than the others and hangs over. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the top layer smaller? Thanks so much!

Hi kristenpark.

Iā€™d be curious to know the height and layer dimensions of your Botanical Bliss. ā€¦. from what you describe itā€™s possible that the dimensions of the top layer are not to the specifications for the size of the product you ordered. Could you measure the width and length of all 3 layers of your mattress?

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your help! I measured the width of the three layers of the full botanical bliss:

55" top width
55 1/2 middle width
54" bottom width

I can measure the length too if needed, but I already put the bed back together before remembering to do that.

The bottom layer seems to fit my bed, but the two top layers hang over the sides of the bed frame. Even though Iā€™ve done the wave and tried to make them smaller.

Also, the middle layer seems to be damaged. I will post pics of the middle layer.

Thanks!
Kristen

Hi kristenpark

It appears you have a Full-Size mattress system.

ā€¢ Full Size mattresses are 54" wide x 75" long. The dimensional specification tolerance used is typically +/- 0.5"
ā€¢ This applies to the finished mattress product. Component dimensions are usually based on the thickness of the side cover, typically 0.5-1.5", based on the FR barrier material being used
ā€¢ With each component being covered on 2 sides, the components width would be from 51" to 53" (see here a picture of the Botanical Bliss from the PB website.)
ā€¢ PlushBeds uses a thick wool layer in its cover. You can see this in the picture. Based on the picture, one would guess the width of the latex layers should be 51-52".

[center]
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/66/PlushBedsBotanicalBliss.jpg[/center]

PlushBeds uses a thick wool layer in its cover. You can see this in the picture. Based on the picture, one would guess the width of the latex layers should be 51-52". Since the 54" layer ā€œworksā€, you are correct that the other layers are too wide and forcing them in the cover which will create a concavity that makes the bed look like it sinks in the middle when the issue is the oversized layers. Iā€™d suggest you contact PlushBeds and let them know about it, at a minimum they need to replace the 2 oversize layers. If they send 54" wide layers, it is likely they will be still ā€œcrampedā€ inside the cover. But the look should be more normal. 3 layers 53" wide would be ideal.

When Dunlop latex foam cores are molded, the latex is poured into the mold until the mold is filled. Sometimes depending on the ambient temperature and humidity, some air remains trapped. These are usually small air pockets that migrate under pressure to the edges of the mold and do not affect the structural integrity and performance of the slab itself. You can find these air pockets in many products on the market, but because usually consumers receive finished and covered products consumers will never see how they look on the inside unless they cut open their mattress. These air pockets/irregularities are usually not having a structural/performance impact, Due to the two different production processes (Dunlop and Talalay) irregulars such as these are most commonly found in Dunlop.

Iā€™m looking forward to any updates once youā€™ve had the chance to contact PlushBeds and get the issue resolved

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the information! This is all really great to know.

I had trouble contacting the company. After filling out their website contact form (three weeks ago) and leaving two phone messages (one last week) with their answering service, I finally posted a 2 star review for the product on their website. After doing so I received this email message:

Hi Kristen,

Kindly click on the following link, to see a video, which demonstrates how you can resize the latex layers inside of your mattress:

We hope you find this video helpful. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-888-PLUSHBEDS.

Sincerely,

Kim Moler
Customer Service
1-888-PLUSHBEDS

I watched the video, but thatā€™s what I already did. I am going to let them know that I already tried it. I spent a few hours with a friend trying to get the upper layers to line up. We did the wave and the buckling methods. After all that the layers are still stuffed into the mattress protector and sheet.

I am thinking the layers must have been much bigger than standard since they donā€™t go down enough.

Thanks!
Kristen

Hi kristenpark.

I am glad that PlushBeds replied to you and Iā€™d certainly wouldnā€™t ā€œhesitate to contactā€ them with your ā€œadditional comments " about the results of your experiments. Iā€™d make sure to provide them with all layer/mattress measurements including the mattress/layer thickness, length & width, and the size of the mattress youā€™ve purchased (Full). You mentioned that you have a thinner top layer which is included with their 9ā€ Botanical thikness choice, but Iā€™d note that typically both layer density and thickness will contribute to how easy or difficult can be to fit it within a tighter encasement. From what I can tell the video shows a thinner plush top layer of 2" or less in lower density (less material) which is easier to ā€œresizeā€ ā€¦ a 3" layer thickness in a medium or firm ILD will also add to the difficulty of it being waived and ā€œresizedā€ to fit a smaller cover.

Keep us posted on your progress

Phoenix

Thank you so much! I have responded and Iā€™ll let you know what they say. Hopefully they will respond.

Hi kristenpark.

You are very welcome! :slight_smile: ā€¦ I am lookking forward to any future updates.

Phoenix

They emailed me and asked asked for more photos. Iā€™ll let you know what happens. Thanks so much!