How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Hi johnep,

You are very welcome, and congratulations on a good quality/value latex mattress from Arizona Premium. :slight_smile: It is really quite clear that you have done your research and testing, really well done.

I understand what you mean about testing for alignment when you are by yourselfā€¦not that easy to do, but given you are fairly light and havenā€™t had many issues, and with your extensive local testing it looks like the three-layer design you chose has very good chances to meet your spinal alignment and support needs.

Regarding the foundation question ā€¦ it would be important to check with Arizona Premium to make sure that the support system you plan to use for the interim period wouldnā€™t invalidate the product warranty. From a general point of view, you can place a latex mattress on very different surfaces ā€¦on the floor, plywood, slats, traditional box spring, old box springā€¦ but each time you do this, it will feel different as the foundation itself will add another variable. With this in mind and if Arizona Premium vets your support system to use for a month or so, there should have no problem using your old box spring with this mattress until you are ready to get the adjustable foundation. Many consumers have done this with no issues at all but Iā€™d first make sure to check that the support system is still in good condition and does not sag under the weight of the mattress and people sleeping on it. When you change to a new foundation there will be some ā€œfeel differenceā€ which may be very noticeable, may only be slightly noticeable, or it may even feel much better. Thereā€™s much more information about the functions of foundations, active slat systems and actual box springs in the foundation thread here.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in(in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic).

Good luck when you start down the adjustable purchase cycle.

Thank you for the great update.

Phoenix

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

I just wanted to quickly comment on your ZH warranty/platform bed/slats/Joe Alexander article. As I read ZH warranty you are commenting about this section 3.0:

I believe your assumption about moisture build up (Joes article) with a flat piece of plywood is correctā€¦but I believe Zenhaven is making the integrity of there 2 Sided choice product and making the moisture issue a lower priority, or they question if there is any data to support this claim.

Thanks
Sensei

We have our new hybrid latex mattress. For now it is on the foundation from our old mattress which is set on a traditional bed frame. We donā€™t have the new platform bed yet. Once we get the platform bed, Iā€™m going to figure out the exact height we need and then figure out what option suits us best. Apparently, there is no warranty concern with Nest- they just warn that the mattress might sleep hot without a ā€œbreathing layerā€.

I have a Nest Hybrid Latex incoming and currently have a Zinus Demetric Steel Elite Smartbase 14" frame. Is this frame good enough? Anything I can add to make it better, like a bed rug?

Hi oBMTo,

We have our Nest Bedding Natural Hybrid latex mattresses (queen and full) set up on wood-slat foundations, including this one on our queen bed - HomeBase Foundation ā€“ Nest BeddingĀ®. The wood-slat option has been working fine for us. We had the steel version on our previous mattress for a year, and that worked as well. You may want to check with Nest Bedding simply to be sure, though. Their Customer Service team should be able to let you know definitively.

Hope that helpsā€¦

Hey savantstrike,

My apologies, I meant to let you know that I think you make a very good point about mattress height and many sites missing the context when discussing this. Well done with this quote:

[quote]The best ā€œexplanationā€ Iā€™ve seen on these sites is the thicker mattress keeps you from bottoming out, but the reality is that the construction of the mattress is what keeps you from bottoming out. Over a nominal thickness (maybe 9-10 inches), the only difference is a potentially plusher feel.

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about hitting some magic number for how thick a mattress is - I would just focus on getting what you want.[/quote]

Thanks again for your support and interaction on this forum.

Sleep well,
Sensei

Hi oBMTo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Hi gryffin, I see your question also. And thank you NestHaven, as always very good advice.

OBMTo, regarding the Zinus frame, whether it is good enough is really about your needs and preferences. Zinus has done a very good job selling low cost, but very sturdy and durable bed frames/platforms. For many people yes this is good enough. And for others, they like to use the recommendations of the seller/manufacturer.

A coir bed rug is a fine choice as its porous structure allows for air to circulate more freely between the mattress bottom and the plywood. While IMO the bed rug in combination with the pocket coils would ensure adequate ventilation and breathability. In these cases, we always recommend checking manufacturer policies and ask them to clarify if using the coconut husks layer for ventilation would be enough and wouldnā€™t invalidate the Nest Bedding warranty, in case things donā€™t turn out as well as you have hoped for.

Gryffin, thanks for the comment, again I agree with NestHaven and our policy is you should talk to Nest about their warranty.

Thanks again for posting and asking questions, and please donā€™t hesitate to ask other questions you may have.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei! That was my conclusion as well.

They did not reply to my question about it, nor my inquiry as to where one finds a good quality platform base since they donā€™t sell one.

Iā€™m reluctant to put plywood underneath the mattress as it seems too rough, and because Iā€™ve heard it can harbor little bugs.

For now, Iā€™ve ordered a stout slatted base from KD Frames (the Nomad Plus) for either keeping the Zenhaven, trying the Nest Hybrid Latex (@gryffin, I so want to ask how you like it, but itā€™s only been one night!), or getting a different zip in latex layer kit system.

[color=black]Thanks Phoenix.
Due to GERD, I am looking for an adjustable mattress base that tilts the entire base along with other popular functions. Glideaway has several models. The best pricing I have seen so far for the Glideaway models is from RestRightMattress.com in Texas and MagicSleeper in Pottstown, PA. MagicSleeper is a member of TMU. What else can people tell me about these two online retailers? This is a big ticket item so I want to be confident in whom I am dealing with.

I have been told that Leggett & Platt is coming out with a tilt model but I am not sure when and not sure what features it will have. Can anyone share more information about L&P tilt products and timeline? If I knew they would have a competitive product, both in features and price, I might be willing to wait for a while.[/color]

Iā€™ve been looking at the specs of the new Nest hybrid latex mattress. Even though it uses high quality materials, isnā€™t six total inches of foam about the springs a bit excessive?

Not in our experience, Toddler. Weā€™ve have the Hybrid Natural Latex for over three months now, and love the overall feel, comfort, and support of this mattress. We tried the previous version (1" cotton/wool top, 3" Talalay latex, 8" coils, & 1" foam base), and never could get comfortable in that configuration. Now, with 6" foam, 6" coils, & 1" foam base, weā€™ve had wonderful sleepā€¦with no pain.

Also, the layers interact really nicely with each other, so that we get contouring comfort where we need it (shoulders/hips), yet plenty of support where we need it (backs). This new design has also alleviated the issue of too much pressure build-up or feeling like weā€™re hitting a wall when we get to the latex layer. Itā€™s a really well thought-out configuration, and has made a huge difference for us. We highly recommend it.

Happy to answer any other question you may have about this mattress.

Hey sweetandsourkiwi,

I agree on the plywood and KD frames / Nomad, very familiar with them. Good products, good company.

Beware about reading too much about harboring ā€œlittle bugsā€ā€¦it can get kind of gross, most people prefer blissful ignoranceā€¦and I am certainly not saying what is right or wrong.

Talk soon, or really message soon is what I mean. Thanks again.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi johnep,

Sorry to hear about your GERD condition, usually a flat sleeping surface using an inclined mattress is usually one of the most effective solutions to assist with the acid reflux issue and you are correct that Power foundations with elevation capabilities are very popular items in that regard. The Glideaway models with an elevation kit such as Odessa or Accord adjustable base offered by Magic Sleeper here with incline. are very good options for this. As far as Leggat & Platt new offerings Iā€™d make sure to post your question on Richmond Beddingā€™s expert on TMU forum as they are our L&P experts that have had every model and would know about any new offerings and features that L&P has or plans to offer in the near future. As Richmond Bedding (owner Tim Hilles) has been directly dealing with the manufacturer for many years they have very competitive prices that you may wish to check out. We do not have any information about Legget and Plats potential future product, and we rarely coment comment upon new arrivals until the product has been formally introduced and had a chance to be l evaluated. Certainly, I am not surprised that L&P would have such a product coming out in the near future.

As far as Rest Right Mattress, they are a fairly new online retailer (opened in 2016 and owned by Jesse Crow) providing adjustable beds and mattresses so there is not much track history with specific information regarding their products and customer service that has been posted on TMU. Magic Sleeper, is a Trusted Member of TMU which means that they have been vetted by TMU against a set of rigorous criteria for membershipā€¦ which means that we think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the ]best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. Iā€™d certainly make sure to give them a call as they have a wealth of knowledge and experience to help their customers make informed buying decisions.
Additionally, you might find interesting to read more about therapy and inclined bed solution post and also about different sleeping positions in, this article here.

Good luck with buying this product, of course, this is a big purchase so let us know if you have other questions.

Phoenix

Great! It arrived today. I will report that it is too heavy for me to do more than carefully scoot it 4 feet inside to await help. :slight_smile:

I might varnish or stain itā€¦bugs gross me out and I assume that will help protect the unfinished wood.

The jury is still out. We got the Medium firmness- my husband is very comfortable so far, but my lower back is getting sore- which is what usually happens to me when a bed is too soft. However, it seems to be getting a little better each night, so I may need to finish up the ā€œtransition periodā€ before deciding if I need to swap for the firmer latex layer. One of the key selling points for me about this mattress was the ability to do this swap if needed.

Hi gryffin - it might help to give the mattress a little time to break in. I, too, encountered a similar lower-back pain soreness with the Medium mattress for a week or two. And I, too, typically get that kind of soreness from mattresses that are too soft.

However, in this case, it seems that the mattress may have been a little firm initially, and my lower back was being pushed upā€¦which contributed to the soreness/stiffness.

Either way, after about a week or two, my lower-back pain went away - and itā€™s been fine now for going on two months now. However, should your lower-back pain not dissipate after a couple of weeks, it might make sense then to swap out the latex layer for something firmer.

Hope that helpsā€¦

Thank you for the update, Gryffin! Sorry itā€™s been painful. :confused: I saw you mentioned you were sleeping on a pretty firm bed before at only 155lbs, so that could be a pretty big adjustment. How you do like the bed otherwise?

Sensei, I heard from Zenhaven today, they said the floor is an acceptable base and wonā€™t void the warranty. I am still looking for something to put on my slatted bed base though, as I donā€™t really want to put the ZH on the floor at any time.

It looks like the photos have changed onlineā€¦now the bed shows a different quilting? I have reached out to ask what else is different.

TMU admins and experts: thank you for this great resource. As an engineer by trade, I salute your dedication to the facts, and gory details. I love gory details. I hope you do too:

Our mattress (a Sealy Posturepedic ā€˜Reserveā€™ Unity Firm on a Sealy split box spring) is 10 years old and starting to show it. So weā€™re in the market again, and I decided to school myself up.

I think our needs have also changed as we are a decade older as well. While I always seemed to gravitate towards a ā€˜firmā€™ mattress, I was biased with the notion of ā€˜firm = supportā€™. Iā€™d definitely tossed and turned on what I thought were soft mattresses, probably more accurately poorly made. Also had a preconception that ā€˜pillow topā€™ meant ā€˜too softā€™, and ā€˜will develop impressionsā€™. Our current mattress itself wasnā€™t bad at all, and I have to say we were usually happy to return to our bed after sleeping anywhere else.

My wife and I both side sleepers: a mix of truly side sleeping and what I call side-over (sleep on side with the top leg and body resting down and over (like half on side side/half stomach) if that makes sense. We both have BMI in the high 20s. Iā€™ve had neck disc issues but manage with PT exercises and a cervical roll pillow tucked in my pillow case.

Iā€™m an incredibly light sleeper, my wife not as much. After getting the disc stuff under control, the last few years though I feel as if I rotisserie sleep: regularly shifting from right side to left side, as my should/arm gets uncomfortable (I also sleep with arm partially under pillow). My tossing and turning disturbs my spouse, which I regret.

My wife has also been experiencing some hip/back pain. And I come to reason after schooling here that weā€™re sleeping on something too hard now, and the pressure points are getting to us. The mattress is also getting some impressions at this point.

I thought that the hybrid spring/talalay might be a good fit for us. We tried several different types of constructions though in our initial testing. We both found the 100% latex to be too bouncy for our liking, and didnt like the feel. We also were on several Naturepedic hybrids in various comfort levels. But my wife experience some real hip pain fairly quickly on a few of them: Im reasoning that her smaller frame didnt sink in enough on the dunlop. I found the premium pricing to mot match our comfort on them.

We commonly agreed on talalay as a better fit. We also both liked wrapped/pocketed coils as the motion transfer is dampered. I hope that helps if Im tossing.

We are in the PA/Philly area and took a trip to Magic Sleeper, and had a really good experience there. While a small shop in a warehousey environ, we had a quality visit and were well attended by the staff.

To my surprise (based on previous incorrect bias), we wound up favoring a Pillow Top: Eastman House Luxury Pillow Top English Hand Tufted. I like the tufting for help in holding layers in place, and my wife found the resulting ā€˜sectionedā€™ top to be very comfortable. I liked several aspects of the design and mattress otherwise, and was my wifeā€™s favorite by a long way.

They didnt have all the detailed specs on the model, and it has taken some doing to get them. There was apparently a big mattress industry convention the past week (I think I may have read that here too), so they had a hard time getting answers from bedding industries. In any case, we finally got there, and these are the specs from bottom to top:

2 inches: base poly foam: (high density 1.8 lbs/cu. ft.) 60 ild
8 inches: 6 turn 12 3/4 gauge Leggett and Platt wrapped coils
3 inches talalay in three layers:
1 inch ild 35
1 inch ild 35
1inch ild 20 (top layer)
wool/silk (firebarrier)
organic cotton quilting
The mattress sides are encased in HD poly foam 1.8lbs/ft. ild 80

It took some doing on the latex ā€œblendā€ā€¦ turns out its 97% synthetic / 3% natural (seems like a toke n amount). The Store mentioned that they would have preferred to see 2.5 lbs for the side encasement, and were a bit surprised in how synthetic the blend was. Their experience with the mattress for durability/customer sat has been very positive, and I found them to be open and honest otherwise.

But anyway, those are the specs. Iā€™d appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Lastly, we were wondering about our existing box spring. I was inclined to replace it and start everything fresh. After a query on the brand of the box spring(Sealy, bought with mattress) , and what kind of support the bed had: (we have a queen wood sleigh bed, but I made five hardwood oak 2.5 inch slats -all with center supports for the bed), the store said they think our split box spring is fine (we cant get a whole box spring up our stairs). Theyā€™d be happy to sell us one, but didnt feel it was needed. Wasnt really that much in grand scheme for a new one there though (120).

Thanks for your time.

I finally pulled the trigger on a Glideaway Odessa adjustable bed from Rest Right Mattress in Texas . That is the Glideaway top of the line product. RRM was about 20% lower than other quotes (some were also brick and mortar businesses). I would liked to have seen less separation in pricing but from what little info I gathered on RRM, they were creditable. I also got white glove service to set it up. My days of lifting 200+ lb objects are long gone.

Hopefully, the bed and the mattress from APM will arrive in roughly the same time frame.

I went back and forth on adjustable versus conventional foundation/support system. In order to do the conventional approach I would have needed a center support which got complicated if I wanted to elevate the head of my bed with blocks (all the legs would need to be aligned). I did find an innovative solution to that issue at the Sleep Shop in Hudson, NC but decided the adjustable bed was a simpler, albeit more expensive, solution to my problem. The Sleep Shop told me they get calls from all over the US by people seeking specialized solutions to bed/mattress support problems. That may be a vendor worth checking out for TMU.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it works out.