How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

Aurora firm should be here tuesday, ill let you know how it works out.

Hey WTBSleepSev,

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Aurora firm and hope that you and your wife are closer to a more supportive mattress solution :slight_smile: .

Cheers,
Sensei

So almost a year later, I am looking for a permanent solution - a new bed.

I started shopping around but it is difficult with the amount of choices available. It is also hard to gauge how much you will like a mattress by just laying on it for a minute or so in a store.

I am trying to find a King-sized mattress, suitable for side sleeping, but the most important thing is that it should sleep cool. Budget is around $2000CAD but I can increase a bit if I have to.

I looked at latex:

Do you have any insight on these?

What sleeps cooler between All Latex, Latex on top of coils (I havenā€™t seen any like this), Latex on top of foam (tons like this)?

What about the purple mattress (buckling column on top of foam)? How is that temperature regulation compared to latex?

I understand that coils will be the coolest but I would still need a comfort layer on top right? And memory foam is the most common comfort layer but it sleeps hot.

Any other materials or type of mattresses I should be looking at and researching?

Thank you

Hey peppyaf,

Welcome back to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey :slight_smile: ! Sounds like you have all of the basics covered in terms of your preferences and beginning research.

For condensing and clarity, Iā€™ve bundled your questions/ my responses regarding these online mattresses together. As Wayfair.com has many imported mattresses, it is impossible to comment on the myriad of resellers that come and go and on the comfort/ durability of their ever-changing products. The specs for the 10" medium latex mattress in the above link (includes 1" of poly foam, 3" of Talalay latex foam and a 5.5" high density base foam) seem fairly basic and Wayfair has a 100-night free sleep trial; that being said, you would want to get verbal/ written clarification on what your exchange/ return/ warranty options are should you go that route.

The Casa Loma mattress/ Galaxy Bedding option (includes 1" latex over a 6" zoned latex comfort layer, 2.5" zoned latex core support layer), is a compressed mattress offered by National Mattress Outlet Plus. Their comfort exchange guarantee of 90 nights, slightly shorter and involves a $95 exchange fee, as well as some other considerations worth noting, you would also want to get verbal/ written clarification on what your exchange/ return/ warranty options are should you go that route.

The Mausund/ Ikea mattress offered the least amount of details (includes natural/ synthetic latex comfort layer, with a wool wadding filling. Their site mentions a 365 day exchange policy, you will want to research that further as they also state that pick up for large item returns isnā€™t available in all areas.

By ā€œlocal guysā€, are you referring to a nearby mattress manufacturer/ retailer? Often these resources can be quite helpful with answering questions and offering guidance for custom built mattresses. Get some local feedback if possible on the quality of their material, workmanship and what exchange/ return policies/ warranties they offer on their custom products.

Purple is known for itā€™s use of a Buckling column gel support layer, a newer dry-polymer material with a smooth, rubbery feel, set into either hexagonal or square ā€œcolumnsā€ designed in a unique support system, you can read more about Mattress comfort layers- Buckling column gel here. While the ā€œPurple gridā€ layer with its ā€œopen air channelsā€ is directly below the SoftFlex cover, its temperature feel would also depend on the materials/ construction of the layers beneath. While I have no direct experience with Purple and will not speculate on what temperature regulating qualities it may have, many retailers are carrying it in their showrooms now, you would want to spend some time testing a floor model as only you can ā€œfeelā€ what you feel in terms of ā€œsleeping coolā€.

Latex foam is widely recognized as the most ā€œbreathableā€ and ā€œsleeping coolā€ material in mattress components. Coils within the base of a mattress are a support mechanism and are not related to the ā€œcoolingā€ properties of the support/ comfort layers, that is determined by the type foams, fabrics and other materials used in the overall construction.

Memory foam is a very soft material, especially when heat and pressure is applied and it ā€œmeltsā€ into a semi solid form. It does an excellent job of forming a cradle and relieving pressure and has become more popular as a comfort layer for this reason, you can read more about Mattress comfort layers- memory foam- and latex here.

Sounds like a good query for our consumer subscribers, would be interested to hear what others have to say on the subject :wink: .

Any new developments on your mattress research?

Thanks,
Sensei

(i forgot i had this thread and have been replying to the bed and a box one)

So, the new BB Aurora mattress seems to be good for my lower back, but im now having issues with my upper back, specifically between my shoulder blades. Im thinking this might be pillow related? I have a 3 year old memory foam pillow, which when new was used with an innerspring mattress that had a pillow top. Had no issues then, and due to the overwhelming issues I had when i switched to a pure memory foam 2 years ago, never considered my pillow as contributing to my problems. Although in retrospect i did have the same pain between my shoulder blades then. I dont believe I had issues with my upper back as much with the previous BB signature mattresses, but if i did they were overridden by the lower back issues. So i think im going to try a couple of pillows, maybe the my pillow and one of those curved memory foams. I am a side and stomach sleeper by habit, but over the last few years have trained myself to sleep more on my back. So iā€™ve read that it can benefit you to have different types of pillows and in different places. Im going to try and avoid the stomach position, and mainly do side and back with these new pillows and see if it doesnt improve the situation.

Thanks for your responses.

I tried the Mausund at ikea and not sure if I like the latex feel. It was more bouncy and soft than I expected but it also felt ā€œfloppyā€ and finicky.

I have heard other reports of all latex heating up. And I have heard other experts say coil based with a light layer of memory foam on top stays cool.

Unfortunately no in store Purples in Canada to try.

I am pivoting my search to hybrid mattresses right now. Top of my list is Silk and Snow Hybrid. Reviews seems good with buyers sleeping cool. They also have a showroom near me and a 100+ night return policy if I happen to sleep hot.

Iā€™m going to go from thereā€¦ Thanks.

I just wanna sayā€¦

When I started looking for mattresses a few weeks ago, Latex really intrigued me when doing research online. Because of this, I wanted to be sure to try out a couple (along with various spring ones) to help make a decision.

The first place I went was Ikea. I wasnā€™t planning to get a mattress there, but theyā€™re 10 min from my house, and I new they had a couple Latex mattresses.

The Latex mattresses at Ikea were TERRIBLE. they felt like they had an inch of super soft material, and then a cement block under that. Basically, I sat on it and instantly compressed the soft layer and was left feeling the firmest bed Iā€™ve ever felt. And thatā€™s saying something being Iā€™ve slept on a firm mattress my whole life.

Anywaysā€¦after going to a few places and trying stuff (Purple, Leesa, Casper, Serta, Simons, etc.) I went to the original mattress factory. They too had a latex mattressā€¦and I gotta say, it was one of my favorites that I laid on.

The latex bed felt a lot like a standard foam mattress to me. I honestly couldnā€™t tell much difference between it and the foam bed next to it. That said, due to the cooling capability and durability of Latex, I was pretty set on wanting a Latex mattress.

I ended up going with a DIY option from Arizona Premium Mattress (hasnā€™t arrived yet). But the moral of the story isā€¦
Donā€™t discount Latex purely based on an IKEA experience
Like seriouslyā€¦I hated the IKEA mattress and was about ready to discount latex entirely. Iā€™m so glad that another local store had a Latex option for me to tryā€¦because it was night and day of a difference.

Hey BChaps,

Congrats on your new mattress purchase, BChaps :cheer: ! Thanks for choosing trusted memberArizona Premium Mattress, feel strongly that each of these industry experts have the knowledge and experience to help their customers make informed buying decisions and are among the best choices in the industry. Thanks too @KenHightower for your excellent response and support of all TMU consumer subscribers. Looking forward to hearing more about your DIY project as everything comes together. BTW, howā€™s the bed base construction coming along?

Cheers,
Sensei

Hey rp0475,

I saw your post here and wanted to follow up, as my partner and I had a very similar experience with an all-latex mattress recently.

What was your resolution, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

We ended up sending back the 24 ILD topper and keeping the 19 ILD. The 24 was just too firm for both of us. I found that while I consider myself a side sleeper, I tend to learn forward so while Iā€™m mostly on my side, Iā€™m also partly on my stomach. Putting a pillow in front of me and forcing myself to stay more fully on my side helped some, although I still wouldnā€™t call the mattress a perfect fit. Iā€™m wondering if we should have gotten the 2" topper instead of the 3", still in the 19 ILD, as it would still give us that plush feel we like but maybe it would stop my hips sooner and keep my lumbar area more in line with my shoulders which sit higher since theyā€™re lighter and narrow.

We like the mattress enough that we allowed the 90 day return window to pass so weā€™re definitely keeping it, but I am still debating taking advantage of the 1 year comfort exchange again and trying out the 2" topper. Since weā€™ve already taken advantage of the free comfort exchange weā€™d have to pay shipping, but since the 2" topper is cheaper it should about break even.

Good luck, I wish I could tell you I found the perfect solution!

Ok so update.

Got a Silk & Snow Hybrid. Its construction is 1200 pocket coils (King), with 2inch of 3lb memory foam on top, with another 1inch of 1.8lb ā€œcooling gel foamā€, whatever that means.

The bed is much better than my old memory foam mattress but still heats up. At first its fine but heats up overnight. Comfort wise it is great at first but as it heats up the memory foam sinks in too much making it uncomfortable. I do like the pocket coil feel though.

I am using it on the floor right now since I donā€™t have my bed frame in yet. But I will wait for it to come in to try properly. But I donā€™t think it will be the one for me and will probably go back.

Trying to assess my options now/

1. Purple. Everyone says it stays cool and has a 100 night guarantee. Unfortunately canā€™t get the purple hybrid here so I am stuck with the foam base - I donā€™t like the ā€œdead feelingā€. Itā€™s also on the pricier side and require their sheets.

2. Get a custom made pocket coil + latex (2-3" of dunlop or talalay) or pocket coil + polyfoam (2-3" of regular polyfoam) mattress made locally. Not sure how much cooler polyfoam or latex will be against what I am sleeping on now, but I found a few local guys who can make a mattress to my specs for a decent price. Only con is no returns if it doesnā€™t work out.

3. Get a mattress with no foam at all and all springs. Is this even a possibility anymore? I havenā€™t seen any local stores have this. I used to have an old mattress like this and although it stayed cool, itā€™s not the most comfortable.

Hi peppyaf. I am also located in Toronto. After two months research, I just purchased from Yankee Mattress factory in Agawam, MA. I ordered Cocoa-Firm here:

I am shipping it to a UPS store in Lewinston, NY, and will go pick it up there. There is no import duties on a mattress 100% made in the US. In Toronto, I was able to find something similar for $1999 in queen size, but it does not look as comfortable. Cocoa has gel infused quilting foam right in the cover plus latex, so it probably sleeps cool. I was sleeping on latex topper this January and it was too cold for me. Plus, Yankee Mattress has an amazing 100 day satisfaction guarantee policy.

I wanted to tag onto this topic. If this should be moved to another thread, sorry about that!

Iā€™m curious if anyone has input on how different the Bloom Hybrid is between Brooklyn and DreamFoam. I know DreamFoam is manufactured by Brooklyn Bedding, but the Bloom Hybrid has slightly different specs between the two.

My main question is: Should coil count and thicker latex layer be a deciding factor?

We bought a Bloom Hybrid from DreamFoam (Full size) for our son. In the 6 months we have had it, my wife and I have both done ā€œsleep oversā€ in his bed and been impressed with the mattress. So we are considering buying a King size for our room. When looking at Brooklyn Beddingā€™s site, I noticed that the coil count and thickness of the latex is more than the DreamFoam version of the Bloom. I assumed it was a way to cut cost, but wanted to ask if others thought the increased stats would justify purchasing from Brooklyn instead of going with the lower cost DreamFoam.

DreamFoam - Bloom differences

• 1.5" Talalay Latex
  • 6" base with 961 coils

Brooklyn - Bloom differences

• 3" Talalay Latex
  • 8" base with 1,032 coils

So iā€™m wonderingā€¦ we think the Dreamfoam is great as-is, but should we invest the extra money in the BB version for the 71 extra coils and extra 1.5" in the latex layer.

Does anyone have advice?

Evaluating the detailed differences between the DF Bloom Essential and the BB Bloom hybrids they are as you noted, as well as the latex used in the DF version being Talalay Echo (a material processed by repurposing unused fabrication cuts to deliver all the benefits of Talalay latex while reducing wastefulness) instead of standard Talalay used on the BB. You noted the difference in coil count and thereā€™s also the difference in coil height with the DF being 6" while the BB uses 8" coils.

Whether there would be a difference in feel between Talalay Echo or the conventional Talalay latex is not certain, but there would certainly be a noticeable difference between 1.5" and 3" of latex with the thicker version being more plush and conforming in feel (assuming theyā€™re the same ILD.) Then youā€™ve got the difference in spring height and count, as well as the BB using ā€œAscension Xā€ springs and the DF using their standard Ascension springs. Itā€™s not clear what that difference might be but itā€™s a designation they use to note a difference of some kind.

Given all of these differences I feel confident in saying there would be a noticeable difference in feel and possibly durability between the two versions of the Bloom Hybrid. Without being able to directly compare them itā€™s difficult to say specifically how the complete packages differ. BB would be in the best position to explain the subjective differences and potential benefits of the more expensive offering. There is a substantial price difference and since you have experienced and find the DF version to your liking, unless they identify something youā€™d consider a significant benefit you might be safest going with the less expensive DF version since itā€™s a known entity. Thereā€™s no way to be certain youā€™d prefer the more upscale version.

Hope that helps!

• Bill

Thank you! That is helpful advice. Iā€™ll give BB a call next week to see if I can get some extra info about the subtle differences (Ascension X coils). Iā€™ll report back with any extra info I find.

Thanks again TMU!

Hi happycat8. Iā€™ve recently come across Yankee mattress and found youā€™ve made a few posts on it. I saw you ordered the cocoa firm which is what Iā€™m thinking of getting. We purchased all latex last year as i started having major issues with our sleep number. I like the latex overall but it causes severe knee pain for some reason so I started looking at the nest latex hybrid as an option but the Yankee seems like a better option to me. My hope is the coils and gel quilted top would prevent the knee pain while still giving the benefits of latex. Iā€™ve been sleeping on our guest bed for months as the knee pain is just too much but it is not a good mattress overall and gives me back aches. I was debating on plush vs firm and am leaning firm as the plush would likely not support me well enough Iā€™m guessing. I just wonder if the 2" latex with 1.5"quilted top would be enough as the sleep number issues i had were shoulder and hip pressure. How have you liked the mattress? For reference Iā€™m 5ā€™11" 200lbs and sleep on my side. We recently tried the bear mattress hybrid and i liked it overall but my wife slept too hot on it. The cocoa uses the same coils which i find promising. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Hello, I am just curious what you found and and what you decided on as I am also contemplating the Brooklyn Bedding Bloom mattress.

Thank you!

I am trying out my second Saatva mattress. First Zenhaven, now Plush/Soft Classic. I think I will end up trying a third. I have been sticking with them because of great customer service and true white glove delivery (not shipped in a box). Can you refer me to the comments your reference?

Hi gregtames,

I am trying out my second Saatva mattress. First Zenhaven, now Plush/Soft Classic.
I have been sticking with them because of great customer service and true white glove delivery
Can you refer me to the comments your reference?

Glad to hear you have had a good experience with customer service at Saatva! Iā€™m not sure
I am understanding your question though? Can you provide additional info? You can do a forum search for Saatva to see the experiences of other forum members on various Saatva mattresses; Also, feel free to create a new topic for any specific questions you may have, as this can allow for more visibility and responses from other forum members.

~ Basilio