how to order a chemical free mattress - recommendations needed

Hi there,
thanks for all the great info on this site - I’ve read through the tutorial.

I am wondering if you have a recommendation for where I can order a chemical free mattress. I am based in Chicago and I had a reaction to my last mattress which apparently had some boric acid in the flame retardant which I am highly highly sensitive to. I have a doctor’s prescription and now am searching for options on how to order a good quality bed without any chemicals. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Russ

Hi russ2015,

There is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how organic is organic enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

There are many mattresses that don’t use chemical fire retardants and that use all or mostly natural or even organic materials that don’t need a prescription. Wool for example can be used to pass the fire regulations and inherent viscose/silica fire barriers are also very common in the industry and also don’t use any chemicals to pass the fire regulations (see post #2 here).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in posts #2 and #4 here. I would make sure you include a visit to My Green Mattress in your research who are one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They also make several mattresses that use natural latex and natural fibers and that use wool for the fire barrier.

Phoenix