How to Soften OMF Serenity Memory Foam Mattress

My wife and I recently bought a OMF Serenity Memory Foam mattress. I like the mattress fine, but it is a little on the firm side, especially for my wife who has trouble getting comfortable more than I do. Any suggestions to soften the mattress? Would a latex topper be a good solution? I noticed that Rejuvinite makes a 3" latex topper. I don’t know much about their topper, but I love their latex pillows. I also noticed that it comes in two firmness levels. Any guidance on which one would be more appropriate?

I’m 6’4", 220 lbs and sleep on my stomach and back. My wife is 5’6", 140lbs and is a side sleeper.

Thanks!

Hi benhancockjr,

I would tend to use a topper that was “just enough” for the extra pressure relief your wife needs rather than one that was 3" thick. A topper will reduce the amount of heat that is reaching the memory foam so it may firm up or slow down the response of the memory foam. If you have a combination of comfort layers and a topper that are too soft and thick … you also run the risk of having too much soft material on top of the mattress and risking good alignment. This would be especially true for stomach sleepers like yourself and to a smaller degree for back sleepers. Side sleepers usually need thicker/softer layers on top than the other two main sleeping positions.

Even though the memory foam feels firm to you (or at least to your wife) … all memory foam is actually a soft material (it’s too soft to be used as a mattress support layer for example) but it can take time for it to soften so for many people, especially if they are lighter, higher density memory foam that responds more slowly can feel firmer than it really is. Firmer foams will feel softer to you because of your higher weight (which is why you are probably OK with the Serenity) and you did well to use higher density memory foams in your mattress (the Serenity uses 5 and 8 lb memory foams) which are more durable than lower density memory foams for people who are a higher weight but these would typically feel firmer for lighter body weights. It’s like the difference between slapping honey (which would be firm with fast movement) or slowly pushing into it (where it would feel softer). This is particularly true when you move because the memory foam beside you it takes time to soften and can feel firmer until it warms up under the body. Even though it can feel firm … memory foam will still slowly sink in deeper than other foams over time so if you add too much extra soft foam on top … the two together may have good alignment at first but can lead to alignment problems over the course of the night as the memory foam softens.

So I would suggest no more than another 2" or so (how much would depend on how far away from her 'ideal" softness she is) and which material would work best would depend on the feel and response you both prefer. If you want the slow response feel of memory foam (where you sleep more “in” the mattress) … then you could add a memory foam topper. If you prefer the faster response feel of latex (where you sleep more “on” the mattress) … then you could add a couple of inches of latex. If you choose memory foam … a 4 lb topper that uses softer memory foam that has a little faster response may make a good choice for your wife even though it won’t be as durable for you. This would allow you to change just the topper if it softens before the mattress itself (which it will).

If you decide to go with latex (which will change the feel of the mattress to a more responsive surface with some slower sinking in underneath the latex) … then a lower ILD in the range of 19 - 24 would probably be better for your wife. Latex comes in a wide range of firmness levels but a latex topper in the range of 19 - 24 ILD would generally be considered in the soft range. The 3" rejuvenite comes in 19 ILD and 28 ILD firmness levels and the 28 would probably be too firm for your wife based on averages anyway and as I mentioned the thickness may be a bit risky on top of a mattress that already has fairly thick memory foam layers.

Because your wife is lighter and a side sleeper so she would typically need thicker/softer layers which is exactly what would be risky for you (back and especially stomach sleepers need thinner layers and higher weights generally do better with firmer layers) so I would add the thinnest possible soft topper (latex or memory foam) that would be “just enough” for her (again no more than 2" and preferably less) so the risk for you is less.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thank you for such a detailed response. What a wealth of information. If we go with a 2" latex topper, do you have any recommendations? I found one at plush beds.com that is 22-24 ild natural talalay latex. Any need for a cover if a mattress protector and sheets are going on top of it. Thanks again for our help!

Hi benhancockjr,

Post #4 here has some good latex topper sources several of which are members of the site.

Phoenix

Thanks! I’ll check those out. Does a latex topper need a protective cover? It looks like an option with some of the stores. Is a mattress protector that’s already on the bed sufficient? Thanks again!

Hi benhancockjr,

Yes … latex will degrade with exposure to ultraviolet light, ozone, some heavy metals (such as copper) and some solvents. It needs a good quality cover and a mattress protector or sheets is not enough to prevent it from degrading prematurely.

Phoenix