How to... A Researcher's Guide to Mattress Wisdom

Hi biscuitmachine.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While there is no requirement that you ask advice only from Expert members you can certainly post any new question in an already existing thread that is not associated with an Expert … by searching our forum for a topic that has a subject close to (or touches on) what you are looking for as detailed in post #1 here item 1 on the list. We are in the process of consolidating and condensing the large amount of data and information that we provide and during this time the two ways in which new visitors can have their questions answered are outlined in the post -linked above. We have found that most of the answers have already been extensively answered in many threads on the forum and that it behooves the visitor to do some initial baseline reading such as the Mattress Shopping Tutorial here and search for questions that have already been answered in their area(s) of interest.

Rest assured that I or any contributors, experts or consumer members that have the knowledge, insights or some experience with the particular product or question you are interested will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

Hi Sage.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am happy you’ve been doing some preliminary research which is the best way to ensure that you get a mattress that is durable, suitable and fits all other parts of yourpersonal value equation. As far as the “green button” … there is a video link in post #1 here which also outlines options for getting assistance in case you need it. You can start a new topic any time in our Expert Member forums organized by area of expertise. Additionally, you can also append (as you did) your comment/question to any existing topic that closely matches your topic of interest (preferably a topic that is not active with other discussions in progress)

We look forward to your comments or questions.

Phoenix

1 Like

Ok well is it ok to start here then? I am trying to purchase a Really Soft mattress. So I believe that means latex foam. I already know that I want all talalay. However most cos do not really tell you about anything but the topper. Or they ‘all natural’ or ‘organic’ which means zilch. I want all layers all talalay & no blend. The only one I know of like this is Flo Beds but perhaps there are others. I bought a bed from them 10 yrs ago & have been pretty happy with it. I got a medium foam core with two soft layers above plus topper. Recently I took it apart & the topper had disintegrated & crumbled & the cover was also pretty bunched up. The odd thing is it was also like this on the unused side. So after reading this forum for a while I have learned that their idl for soft is actually about the same as some for medium. I would like something as soft as possible. Are there any softer talalay beds out there?

Hi Sage.

Blended refers to the mixture of natural Talalay and synthetic Talalay. The raw material used to make latex foam is either natural latex which actually comes from the rubber tree and synthetic Talalay latex which is made from SBR (styrene-butadiene). Many latex foams are made from a blend of the two (such as 70% SBR and 30% Natural latex or NR). Natural latex is more elastic and stretchy. SBR is more abrasion resistant and can be made more resistant to aging degradation. It is also easier to work with in terms of consistency. NR is more expensive than SBR. Blends are often used for reasons of cost, desirable combinations of certain latex qualities, and ease of working with the material. NR is often used for its natural qualities and because it is more elastic and resilient. There is more about 100% natural and blended Talalay in post #2 here . It is also more difficult to work with to make a consistent firmness so the natural Talalay can be made softer than most Dunlop (except continuous pour Dunlop) but not as soft as blended Talalay. The two different versions of Talalay are very similar in feel and are lighter and more “lively” than Dunlop.

You certainly have a wide range of options from our Trusted Members of this site that carry mattresses using Talalay Latex (some have only Talalay, but most can also mix and match Dunlop and Talalay)

FloBeds(Only Talalay)
FoamSweetFoam
Sleep EZ Factory
Arizona Pr Mattress Comp
Mattress To Go
My Green Mattress carries 2 sided Talalay latex mattresses fully finished on both sides (no zipper)
Flexus Comfort Mattress Company
Texas Mattress Makers Vienna & Siena Total Latex Mattress, Oslo Euro Top Select Mattress / Oslo Plush Select Mattress, you can see their Talalay Mattresses
Urban Natural Home Furnishings
Natural Sleep System mattress
Bedmasters

You can also reach out to them directly through the dedicated Expert Forums here

If you can’t test a mattress in person it is best to rely on the guidance iof the manufacturer reltailer who’s mattress you are considering and have a detailed phone conversation with them. They’ll be able to help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

1 Like

Thank you so much! Well I assumed I wanted all talalay. This is a lot more to look into. Is there a chart anywhere that shows the ild per mattress?

Hi sandsock.

You can see the ILD range for Latex International’s 100% natural Talalay (expressed as N1 - N5) and the target ILD’s for their blended Talalay and Talalay GL on their site here. You can also see the ILD range for Radium100%naturalandblendedTalalayhere.

While knowing the ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) is a good indicator of softness/firmness caution I’d suggest that to not base your decision on the ILD alone. as this accurate only when comparing the same type of latex from the same latex manufacturer. There is also much difference in feel when comparing synthetic, blended latex and 100% natural latex of the same ILDs (see post #6 here). In addition to this equivalent ILDs from the two Talalay producers, Talalay Global and Radium, also feel different so you can’t make a direct comparison based on ILD. With careful testing your body will tell you much more about whether any specific combination of layers or components or any specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than knowing the ILD/IFD of the individual layers regardless of what the actual numbers may be.

Phoenix

1 Like

I have the Ultimate Hybrid in plush but the coils are too firm as I get hop pain when I sleep on my side. I sleep all over the place. Ken recommended to get a 2 inch topper. I have a thin waterproof mattress protector on the mattress. Do I need to purchase the bamboo cover for the topper or can I just put it under my mattress protector? I am trying to save money if I don’t need it. Also, wouldn’t a cover make the topper more firm?

Jill71rdh- I’m hoping to see a response to your question as I have basically the same one. I have a 2" latex topper (which is inside its own stretchy encasement fabric). It won’t fit inside my current mattress protector so I’m wondering about what kind of protector to use for the topper that won’t change the feeling of it. For now I’ve just put an extra layer of fitted sheet to give a bit more barrier. It seems like anything that would actually be protective wouldn’t have enough give to not change the feel of the latex. I have a little bit of hip pressure already and definitely don’t want to add to that by firming it up.

Jill - if you find an answer elsewhere would you mind posting back here? Thanks.

Hi Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the question. The short answer is yes you can put a raw latex topper under your existing mattress protector, many people do this and there is nothing wrong, per se with this activity. The latex itself can be torn easily, so one should be careful about this. If raw latex is left out to ultraviolet light, it can break down quicker, but probably not an issue if you put under your protector and leave it there.

Thanks again
Sensei

Hey Sparky,

Thanks for the question, I am going to give you quick answer then also provide a few links to some other posts from Phoenix on this subject.

There is always a tradeoff between the different functions that a mattress protector is meant to provide. One of these is the degree of water resistance that is important for each person and their circumstances. The second is the effect on the feel and performance of the mattress (thicker less stretchy protectors will affect the mattress more than thinner more stretchy protectors). Finally, there is the effect on temperature regulation and airflow (more airflow and moisture wicking will have less effect on the temperature regulating properties of the mattress than less airflow and less moisture wicking).

For your specific needs, you want to make sure you find a “stretch knit” cover without a waterproof membrane. The stretch knit provides the give and stretch to maintain the feel of a quality latex topper. Pay close attention to the size of the topper you have and the size of the cover as sometimes a very tight fitting cover will firm up the topper a bit too much.

Here is a link to a latex cover post from Phoenix about this subject and also more associated links within this article.

Also here is a quote from a post Phoenix had on 11/12/2018 (Post link).

Thanks,
Sensei

1 Like

I have a new question that is similar to the old about a cover. As I stated before, my Ultimate Hybrid in plush (19 ILD I believe) is too firm and it was suggested that I get a 2 inch topper. From Mattresses.net (where I got my mattress), they have a 2 inch blended talalay mattress with a bamboo cover (bought separate). It states it is 19 ILD. I found on another site (flexus comfort) a 100% all natural talalay topper that comes with a cotton cover for about $55 cheaper with their current sale. They state the ILD as being 22. Will there be that much of a difference in the blended 19 ILD to the all natural 22 ILD? What about the covers (bamboo vs cotton)? If I can save myself $55 that would be awesome but I also want to get what is best.

Hey Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the post. Both of these toppers will be really nice Talalay toppers, and regarding the feel, they will feel very similar, the 22ild a bit firmer, and will be bit heavier, and usually more expensive. The covers really the same thing, you can certainly compare cotton bamboo, but they are both stretch-knit quality products from the pictures on the website. Both companies are trusted members, but please make sure you check prices again, as I saw prices as the blended being less expensive than the 100% natural.

Thanks
Sensei

OK this is kind of off the subject but maybe not. My reason to get a topper is because the plush ultimate hybrid is too firm. When I got the mattress, I told Ken that my bed is not a frame with slats and required a box spring. I had one but the slats on that are pretty far apart. It is a typical all wood box spring with a thin cover. Ken recommended putting a piece of plywood over it. We did. Can that cause the mattress to feel too firm? I want to make sure that is not the problem all along. If I have to get a topper for it, I will have to get a new box spring as well because it will be too high. It already seems a bit too high so I would have to go with a low profile one. All wood ones are hard to find. What should I look for and would I need the plywood again? I worry about all metal causing too much motion or squeaking.

I also wanted to add that I had bought a box spring to use when I got the mattress but it was metal and from my understanding, I should not have gotten metal. That is why I swapped out the metal one with the old wood one I had on our spare bed. But since the slats were pretty far apart on it, I put the plywood down as instructed. Am I correct to not use a metal one? Would it make noise and also enhance feeling my husband move? I hate to spend the money on another box spring when I have 2 but if the plywood on the old wooden one is making it too firm and the metal one won’t be sufficient, I guess I have no choice

This is the box spring I had purchased (it does have a cover). Will it work with the ultimate hybrid?

Hi Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the question, without knowing any details about your warranty, just commenting on the box spring.

The metal one, with plywood, will work fine, especially compared with the “old wood” one. I don’t think it will make noise or enhance whether you feel your husbands moving. These imported metal platform beds imported are very good sellers and are made pretty solid. I am not saying they are anywhere near the quality of a high quality /high-cost foundation, but they are serviceable compared to the older traditional box spring you are using.

Thanks again for the question.

Sensei

1 Like

The How To Post video is not working for me returning a 404 error.

Hey dlbzone,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

We apologize but we have turned off the “posting a video” for consumers. Thanks for pointing that out, we are working on a few backend improvements before we introduce this again.

What was the video about? We may be able to get it up, maybe email a link if you would like to post it, we can take a look.

Thanks
Sensei

The video links appear to be broken. They route to a “404” page.

Hey eh1160,

Welcome to the mattress forum :). Thank you for pointing that out, I will test a few and get our back end people working on it.

Thanks again.

Sensei