How to... A Researcher's Guide to Mattress Wisdom

Thank you so much! Well I assumed I wanted all talalay. This is a lot more to look into. Is there a chart anywhere that shows the ild per mattress?

Hi sandsock.

You can see the ILD range for Latex International’s 100% natural Talalay (expressed as N1 - N5) and the target ILD’s for their blended Talalay and Talalay GL on their site here. You can also see the ILD range for Radium100%naturalandblendedTalalayhere.

While knowing the ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) is a good indicator of softness/firmness caution I’d suggest that to not base your decision on the ILD alone. as this accurate only when comparing the same type of latex from the same latex manufacturer. There is also much difference in feel when comparing synthetic, blended latex and 100% natural latex of the same ILDs (see post #6 here). In addition to this equivalent ILDs from the two Talalay producers, Talalay Global and Radium, also feel different so you can’t make a direct comparison based on ILD. With careful testing your body will tell you much more about whether any specific combination of layers or components or any specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than knowing the ILD/IFD of the individual layers regardless of what the actual numbers may be.

Phoenix

1 Like

I have the Ultimate Hybrid in plush but the coils are too firm as I get hop pain when I sleep on my side. I sleep all over the place. Ken recommended to get a 2 inch topper. I have a thin waterproof mattress protector on the mattress. Do I need to purchase the bamboo cover for the topper or can I just put it under my mattress protector? I am trying to save money if I don’t need it. Also, wouldn’t a cover make the topper more firm?

Jill71rdh- I’m hoping to see a response to your question as I have basically the same one. I have a 2" latex topper (which is inside its own stretchy encasement fabric). It won’t fit inside my current mattress protector so I’m wondering about what kind of protector to use for the topper that won’t change the feeling of it. For now I’ve just put an extra layer of fitted sheet to give a bit more barrier. It seems like anything that would actually be protective wouldn’t have enough give to not change the feel of the latex. I have a little bit of hip pressure already and definitely don’t want to add to that by firming it up.

Jill - if you find an answer elsewhere would you mind posting back here? Thanks.

Hi Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the question. The short answer is yes you can put a raw latex topper under your existing mattress protector, many people do this and there is nothing wrong, per se with this activity. The latex itself can be torn easily, so one should be careful about this. If raw latex is left out to ultraviolet light, it can break down quicker, but probably not an issue if you put under your protector and leave it there.

Thanks again
Sensei

Hey Sparky,

Thanks for the question, I am going to give you quick answer then also provide a few links to some other posts from Phoenix on this subject.

There is always a tradeoff between the different functions that a mattress protector is meant to provide. One of these is the degree of water resistance that is important for each person and their circumstances. The second is the effect on the feel and performance of the mattress (thicker less stretchy protectors will affect the mattress more than thinner more stretchy protectors). Finally, there is the effect on temperature regulation and airflow (more airflow and moisture wicking will have less effect on the temperature regulating properties of the mattress than less airflow and less moisture wicking).

For your specific needs, you want to make sure you find a “stretch knit” cover without a waterproof membrane. The stretch knit provides the give and stretch to maintain the feel of a quality latex topper. Pay close attention to the size of the topper you have and the size of the cover as sometimes a very tight fitting cover will firm up the topper a bit too much.

Here is a link to a latex cover post from Phoenix about this subject and also more associated links within this article.

Also here is a quote from a post Phoenix had on 11/12/2018 (Post link).

Thanks,
Sensei

1 Like

I have a new question that is similar to the old about a cover. As I stated before, my Ultimate Hybrid in plush (19 ILD I believe) is too firm and it was suggested that I get a 2 inch topper. From Mattresses.net (where I got my mattress), they have a 2 inch blended talalay mattress with a bamboo cover (bought separate). It states it is 19 ILD. I found on another site (flexus comfort) a 100% all natural talalay topper that comes with a cotton cover for about $55 cheaper with their current sale. They state the ILD as being 22. Will there be that much of a difference in the blended 19 ILD to the all natural 22 ILD? What about the covers (bamboo vs cotton)? If I can save myself $55 that would be awesome but I also want to get what is best.

Hey Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the post. Both of these toppers will be really nice Talalay toppers, and regarding the feel, they will feel very similar, the 22ild a bit firmer, and will be bit heavier, and usually more expensive. The covers really the same thing, you can certainly compare cotton bamboo, but they are both stretch-knit quality products from the pictures on the website. Both companies are trusted members, but please make sure you check prices again, as I saw prices as the blended being less expensive than the 100% natural.

Thanks
Sensei

OK this is kind of off the subject but maybe not. My reason to get a topper is because the plush ultimate hybrid is too firm. When I got the mattress, I told Ken that my bed is not a frame with slats and required a box spring. I had one but the slats on that are pretty far apart. It is a typical all wood box spring with a thin cover. Ken recommended putting a piece of plywood over it. We did. Can that cause the mattress to feel too firm? I want to make sure that is not the problem all along. If I have to get a topper for it, I will have to get a new box spring as well because it will be too high. It already seems a bit too high so I would have to go with a low profile one. All wood ones are hard to find. What should I look for and would I need the plywood again? I worry about all metal causing too much motion or squeaking.

I also wanted to add that I had bought a box spring to use when I got the mattress but it was metal and from my understanding, I should not have gotten metal. That is why I swapped out the metal one with the old wood one I had on our spare bed. But since the slats were pretty far apart on it, I put the plywood down as instructed. Am I correct to not use a metal one? Would it make noise and also enhance feeling my husband move? I hate to spend the money on another box spring when I have 2 but if the plywood on the old wooden one is making it too firm and the metal one won’t be sufficient, I guess I have no choice

This is the box spring I had purchased (it does have a cover). Will it work with the ultimate hybrid?

Hi Jill71rdh,

Thanks for the question, without knowing any details about your warranty, just commenting on the box spring.

The metal one, with plywood, will work fine, especially compared with the “old wood” one. I don’t think it will make noise or enhance whether you feel your husbands moving. These imported metal platform beds imported are very good sellers and are made pretty solid. I am not saying they are anywhere near the quality of a high quality /high-cost foundation, but they are serviceable compared to the older traditional box spring you are using.

Thanks again for the question.

Sensei

1 Like

The How To Post video is not working for me returning a 404 error.

Hey dlbzone,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

We apologize but we have turned off the “posting a video” for consumers. Thanks for pointing that out, we are working on a few backend improvements before we introduce this again.

What was the video about? We may be able to get it up, maybe email a link if you would like to post it, we can take a look.

Thanks
Sensei

The video links appear to be broken. They route to a “404” page.

Hey eh1160,

Welcome to the mattress forum :). Thank you for pointing that out, I will test a few and get our back end people working on it.

Thanks again.

Sensei

I can’t say that I understand the stubbornness to not just include a general forum that can be posted to. I feel like I’ve wasted my time setting up an account and waiting for it to get approved, only to see that there is this utterly unintuitive and cumbersome interface that doesn’t even allow me to ask a general question. Am I really supposed to ask some random company about a mattress that isn’t even theirs? It makes no sense at all and while I certainly appreciate the time and effort that has gone into making this site available, I can’t walk away without mentioning just how frustrating this process has been. Maybe you can put a disclaimer when you go to register that lets people know that you can’t actually ever create new topics yourself.

Hey justishar,

We are sorry you feel that way. Lots of changes coming soon, but thanks for the comments. Just respond to this message with your question, and I will make a new thread for you. Possibly your question about your sleep! may be more important than the “forum rules”?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello! I was looking for a way to post a new topic, and I couldn’t figure it out, so I’m hoping you can start a topic for me.

I found this site during my search for a new mattress, and so far it has been really helpful in terms of determining what makes a durable mattress.

I’m looking to avoid my last experience buying a mattress, where I was in a rush because I was moving into a new apartment and I went to a local store. The salesperson was the “hard sell” type and convinced me to buy a fairly cheap mattress and box spring that became uncomfortable after about a year (I struggled through it till now, the two year point). Because I don’t trust myself to test mattresses in a store environment without getting suckered into something I don’t want, I’m hoping to purchase a better mattress, this time online.

I’m still not looking for anything in the high price range, but I’m hoping to get something good value for under $600, and under $850 including box spring/foundation. I’m strongly considering this mattress in the full size: Dream Foam - Dream Foam

I just wanted to check if that seems like a decent mattress based on its materials/structure, and something that will last me more than a few years. The price seems much lower than other latex mattresses I’ve looked at, which makes me a little nervous. I’m also not sure if I should go with the firm or medium option. I’m 5’2 and not certain of my exact weight, but I think it’s somewhere between 190-215 pounds. Would one of the options be easier to correct with a mattress topper if it turns out I think it’s too firm or too soft?

One last question about that mattress: I’m considering putting the mattress on top of this type of platform sold by the same company: Dream Foam - Dream Foam . Would that work and not cause the mattress to sag? I already own a metal frame, but I bought it at the same place as the cheap mattress (I think it was thrown in for free, actually), so I have a feeling it’s not a great frame. I want to avoid having to buy a new frame, and box spring/foundation, and mattress if possible. I do really want to keep the total cost as low as possible.

Thank you for looking at my questions! I’m grateful for any help that can be provided.

I’m at a loss if I’m getting constant bad luck buying mattresses or I have some sort of underlying back/hip health problem I need to get checked out.

Little over seven years ago I started getting back spasms on the mattress I’ve had for years growing up. Considering the fact I’ve had it since a younging and I was finishing school around that time it must’ve been the mattress being old. (I have no idea where this mattress was purchased or the brand name. It had to have been bought from a local store that doesn’t exist anymore).

First mattress I purchased was 12" Swiss Ortho Sleep. Felt nice and firm until 2 weeks passed and the mattress began to feel as if it was sinking. Tried all the usual tricks (flipping it, putting a wooden slat under it) to avail so i gifted it after a few months of pain.

Second purchase was a 6-Inch foam mattress I threw on the floor since nothing is firmer than the floor right? No use. Most uncomfortable foam mattress I’ve ever slept on. Felt more like a topper than an actual mattress. I’ve slept on slightly more comfortable foam mattresses in the past even though I’m not a fan of them and didn’t do wonders for my back problems as people have sworn by.

I figured the bed frame must be old and the cause to all these problems so I bought a new one along with the first mattress. Again, 2 weeks of bliss and then the sinking came back so I trashed it.

Third purchase was at a local store; “Morning Light Orthopedic”. Disastrous. Last purchase has been labeled under Alwyn Home but is actually an Zinus iCoil. I was immediately unimpressed with this mattress and the firmness lasted 2-3 days before it felt sunk.

All these mattresses have caused me to wake up multiple times from all the tossing and turning and muscle strains. Laying on the floor helps my back but it’s too painful on my scapula and occipital bone to have comfortable sleep. All my floor sleep has been just as interrupted as my mattress sleeps.

Ever since this started my pains have transformed from just back spasms to spasms + pain in my hips/waist, teeth grinding, jaw and inner ear pain and massive sleep deprivation.

Where can I get a mattress that stays firm without breaking the bank? Is it me? Has anyone been getting good results from these mattresses? Am I buying too cheap?

One common factor all these beds have is they’re compressed into a box. Are beds in a box inferior quality? Do good quality regular mattresses still exist?

Thanks