How worried should I be about a convoluted foam comfort layer?

Per the recommendations on here I have been looking at Quality Sleep Shop in La Grange, IL. 2 of the mattresses I have been considering have a 1.5" of 1.5 pound convoluted foam comfort layer below the cover. I am wondering how concerned I should be about durability. I am shorter and smaller, BMI probably around 21-22.

The 2 mattresses are:
Noelle: https://qualitysleepshop.com/products/noelle?variant=5462516868
Megan: Megan – Quality Sleep Shop

Thanks!

Hi mattressing,

In general, convoluted layers are less durable than a solid layer of the same material so if there are convoluted foam layers in the upper layers of a mattress and the material is also at the minimum density range for your BMI then it could have some effect on the durability and useful life of the mattress, and I would lower your expectations slightly. I would also make sure that there isn’t more than one convoluted layer. If the convoluted materials are higher quality and more durable than the minimum guidelines for your BMI then it wouldn’t be an issue.

When purchased from a local manufacturer who is transparent about the density of the polyfoam and construction methods they use (like Quality Sleep Shop, who as you’re aware is a site member here, meaning that I think highly of them and the advice they provide), this grade of polyfoam in slightly firmer versions can be a good comfort layer choice in relatively low to mid priced mattresses (like what you’re considering) and still provide good durability. In very thick and soft versions or when the construction methods do not support durability or are unknown, it should be used very sparingly or at least there should not be an expectation of good durability attached to it.

Both the Noelle and the Megan are lower priced mattresses, but they offer better componentry than the typical 1.0 – 1.2 lb polyfoam you’ll commonly find in this price range. The Noelle would be the more “basic” of the two items you mentioned. The quilt foam is 1.5 lb, at the beginning range of what is considered “high density polyfoam”, and being quilted this compresses the foam a bit and helps extend life. Beneath that is the 1.5" of 1.5 lb convoluted foam, and under this is a heavy layer of cotton batting and 5/8" of 1.8 lb polyfoam. Compared to common innerspring offerings in this price range, and at your BMI, this mattress would represent a good value for a less expensive item. The Megan has a similar construction, but uses a more supportive and advanced pocketed innerspring unit.

Ideally, you are correct that I recommend 1.8 lb polyfoam in the polyfoam comfort layers of a one-sided mattress. But when looking to keep in a more affordable price range, a 1.5 lb polyfoam that is a bit firmer, and especially when used in a mattress put together in a quality manner by a local manufacturer, can provide a very good value, provided there isn’t too much convoluted foam being used (there is not in this case) and the foam is appropriate for your BMI (which in your case it is).

If you haven’t already, I would visit with Quality Sleep Shop and they can explain their construction methods and also go into a bit more detail about each product and help manage your expectations regarding durability for each product. All of that information can then be used to help you sort out which item you prefer based upon your personal value equation.

I’ll be interested in learning what, if anything, you decide to do.

Phoenix