HR Polyurethane Foam

I have been reading through your mattress forum and have found some contradictory information. I have a simple question: Is the HR Polyurethane foam sold by Foamonline.com a good quality product and is this foam the density and/or ILD that they list on their website? Thank You!

Hi smmimp,

I’m not sure what contradictory information you are referring to on the site but if you link to it and it is contradictory then I’d certainly be happy to either clarify it or correct it.

As far as Foamonline … based on my conversations with them I have no reason to doubt their polyfoam specs and assuming that the specs are correct then their HR polyfoam would be a good quality product yes.

Phoenix

I am not very computer savvy but I found this quote in your Forum from Daniel H. I believe it is post 13493, or possibly 134931, I can’t distinguish if the last digit is a 1 or a bracket, sorry. Hope this is enough information to find the quote which I am concerned about and which seems contradictory to other information I have been able to find on your site. Thank You for your help.

Hi smmimp14,

If you do a forum search on DanielH’s posts (you can just click here) and then click on the title of the post you mean and then copy the URL and paste it in a reply you will create a link to the post but I don’t see any of his posts that haven’t been replied to.

Phoenix

Here is Daniel’s entry from Feb of 2013, this is the best I can do, I do not even know how to find the URL number, sorry, but here it isI ordered “HR” foam from foamonline.com and in less than a years time it has broken down and I have since discovered by weighing it that it has less density than they stated. There is an impression in both our sides of the mattress. A distinct concave curve in the hip area, which is also very much softer by feel than other areas of the mattress. The edges of the mattress still resist being pressed down on, while the hip area now gives way with very little resistance when being pressed on.The curve is especially noticeable in the minutes after awaking, but even at the end of the day when the bed went unlaid on, I checked, and there is still a perceptible curve and broken-down-softness. I measured and weighed my wife’s 2" layer. It is 75x27x2, and weighs 5 lb, 12 oz, which I calculated as follows:

75x27x2 = 4050
4050/1728 = 2.344
5.75 lbs. / 2.344 = 2.45 lbs per sq ft

So long as my measurements are correct (I triple checked), Phoenix confirms my calculations are correct, confirming this is not the 3lb density foamonline.com claims. In the end, I don’t care about the density just the performance, but it has failed to perform or have as long a life as stated. They claim a 12 year life, but for us it broke down in less than one year.

I have left two messages with foamonline.com in this last week, and while in the past they have responded in about a days time to my inquiries about my orders, they have given no response to my inquiry about the foam density and breakdown. They ignored my follow up message informing them I’d file complaints with the BBB and with the California Department of Consumer Affairs, as well as attempt a chargeback if possible. In my initial request to initiate a chargeback I was told the orders were placed too far back in time, but I will pursue this further to see if it is still possible. If only I had weighed the foam on receiving it. Too bad I trusted them to actually send me the product they described.

Conclusion: I can not more strongly recommend against purchasing from foamonline.com (aka Upholstery Decor Inc.).
(If you scan his entries you can see a few references to FoamOnline.com. Thanks for your patience!:

Hi smmimp14,

I read his post (and the others in the topics he posted in) and there is also a reply from foamonline to his post as well.

I certainly wouldn’t change my opinion about any business based on one person’s experience (either positive or negative) and based on my conversations with them, their BBB rating and comments, and their long history in business … I would consider them to be a reliable supplier and they are included as one of the better online options for polyfoam I’m aware of in the component post here.

Phoenix

Phoenix, Okay…thanks for clearing that up for me. I think you provide a very beneficial and informative service to the public and I have a lot of confidence in the information you present here. Thank You!

Hi smmimp14,

You’re very welcome … and thanks for the kind comments … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

Phoenix