http://flexiblefoam.com/

We are considering a mattress from Holder Bedding in Lafayette, IN. Family/factory made beds. Their “premier” two-sided bedding has a pillow top that includes gel-infused foam. My concern is toxicity and durablilty. The website is pretty generic. We have laid on the bed, like it, like the price, like the fact that it is a “local” guy (although about 75 miles from us). Any insight/input is appreciated.

Hi ciindyvog,

Flexible Foam is a US foam manufacturer that is CertiPur certified* which means that they have been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s. Unless there are unusual sensitivity or health issues involved (such as a known sensitivity to a certain type of foam) most people wouldn’t have any issues or concerns with foams that are made in the US and/or are CertiPur certified.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/find-a-foam-supplier/flexible-foam/

Post #4 here has the guidelines I would suggest using to assess the durability of a mattress and the materials inside it and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which boils down to suitability, durability, and “other” (including price of course) but I would always make sure you know the type and quality of all the layers and materials inside any mattress you purchase so you can make an informed buying decision.

As you probably know from reading the Indianapolis list … Holder Bedding in Lafayette would certainly be one of the better options in your area.

Phoenix