Hunting for a Mattress In Houston

New to the Mattress Underground. Been very helpful. What can anyone tell me about Novosbed? I have seen some recommendations on other posts, and we are interested in their Sonata Gel.

Also-- we went by Houston Mattress Factory, based on recommendation of this site. Perhaps it was just our visit, but we left disappointed. We felt like it would only be an option if you already know exactly what you want - foam type, density, layers, etc. They had several samples available, but all were covered in plastic, so it was hard to get a sense of what might be truly comfortable. Impressed that they take such pride in their work, but we could not get anywhere in trying to get detail and find a mattress that might suit us.

Hi PDSTEX,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!. Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post (linked in the top right corner of the page and underneath all of my posts) which includes all the most important information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices all in one place.

They use good quality materials and are open and transparent about the materials in their mattresses and are among the better online sources for memory foam mattresses (which is why they are included in the list in online memory foam list in post #12 here).

I also think highly of Houston Mattress factory and they use high quality materials in their mattresses. You are not the first to mention the fact that all their mattresses are covered in plastic though which can certainly make them more difficult to test. They are knowledgeable and experienced and they do have good options available after a purchase if for some reason your mattress doesn’t turn out to be as good a choice as you hoped in terms of PPP so that can offset some of the risk of making a choice that isn’t ideal because it was more difficult to test how they would feel in your sleeping experience but it does lead to a little more uncertainty compared to showrooms where what you are testing is the bare mattress without the effect of the plastic.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. What do you hear about the quality at Texas Mattress Makers? Found the show room to be easy to navigate with helpful (but not pushy) staff.

Hi PDSTEX,

That would depend on the specifics of a mattress you were considering. This article has the specifics I would need to make any meaningful comments about a specific mattress.

I have talked with them on occasion and they are certainly “mattress people” that understand mattresses and I would consider them to be one of the better options in the Houston area but outside of testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … to assess the quality or value of a mattress purchase you would need to know the specifics of its construction so you can make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses that are available to you based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you can list the specifics of any mattress you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments about it.

Phoenix