hybred mattress base

What is the best foundation for a hybrid latex mattress? I’m pretty handy, and thinking of building my own. Construction would be 1x6 sides, ends; double 2x4s for center support, and 1x4s for slats, with 2x2 legs 3 on each side and center, Suggestions, help Greatly appreciated:huh: :huh:

Hi pigsmoker.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile: We’ve actually got a great forum topic on this already, which you might be interested in reading through.

Normally a slatted wood base with solid slats that are no more than 3" apart (or preferably less) is best for latex.

If you don’t find what you’re looking for in the link above, or have more questions, we’re always here to answer any additional questions that may pop up!

NikkiTMU

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been more specific. My need is a raised base for a cal king hybrid mattress using Legget and Platt 8" individually wrapped coil springs.I have searched and not found any thing on this specific need. Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time, Lou

Hi pigsmoker!

Sorry for my delayed reply and thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

Hybrids (as you know) have a spring coil base and foam comfort/support layers. The foam, whether it be latex or polyfoam or memory foam, is the component that requires extra support. A narrow slatted base is going to offer both the adequate support and airflow.

Bunkie boards and solid platform bases are also a popular option for hybrids, and not particularly difficult to make. I would also check to see what the recommendation is on the website for the mattress you purchased. You want to make sure you’re not using a base that may be inadequate for support, and you also want to double check that the base you are using doesn’t void your mattress warranty.

You may be able to easily replicate the recommended type of base you see on their website just by looking at it.

I hope this helps.
NikkiTMU

Never too late!
Thank you for your reply. Have finalized my design, 1x6 side and front, 2x2 slat support glued and screwed to sides, double 2x4 ctr support, and 2x4 legs. (3 per side and ctr) 1x4 slats spaced 2-1/2". I could split this in 1/2, but haven’t decided yet. Bought material yesterday, and just waiting for my boss (wife) to give me the go ahead. Will send pics!
Lou