Hybrid Coil with micro coil comfort layer

My wife and I are shopping for a new mattress. She prefers the feeling of coils or memory foam and I prefer latex. I have read so much of the information on this site multiple times. Thank you, Phoenix, for the depth and breadth of the knowledge you share with us everyday.

Right now we’ve been to multiple stores and tried a good amount of different mattresses. Hybrid Coil seems to be the best for both of us and right now we’re close to purchasing a Naturepedic hybrid coil. One model has a single 3" comfort layer (quartet I believe) and the other has options for Two 3" layers (concerto) . I’m writing because these mattresses have a premium price and I know there may be other options.

The draw to these beds is as follows:

1. Customizable layers from top to bottom.
  2. Microcoil option which my wife enjoys.
  3. Latex options for my side

I’m wondering if there are any other options for mattresses that are a customizable in the same ways that cost less. We’re looking at getting a floor model that is 20% off and I’m okay with it since we can get all new layers just for the cost of shipping for 60 days.

Any thoughts?

Hi Andrew R,

The only other mattresses I’m aware of that are customizable, and that use a combination of microcoils and latex comfort layers are Berkeley Ergonomic or the similar mattresses that are made by European Sleep Design. There is a list of the Berkeley Ergonomic dealers I’m aware of in post #12 here and European Sleep Design is in Folsom, CA.

There would be a much larger number of options if you either eliminate the ability to customize the mattress or the option of having microcoil comfort layers. There are some sources for innerspring/latex hybrids in post #2 here and the post it links to. Some of these may have some dealers in your area and some of them are also available online as well.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and some of these may also carry some mattresses that are “close enough” to your criteria that they may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you for giving a couple other options Phoenix. My zip code is 30329. I’ve done a search and saw a post you referenced with a good number of options. I called Tucker mattress a couple times a few weeks ago and left a message, but I never heard back.

We may just bite the bullet if we find a combination for the naturepedic that meets the ppp criteria. Still, any other options for similar mattress would be awesome. Thanks!

Hi AndrewR,

This is probably the post you found but just in case the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I think after a couple of weeks it’s probably safe to assume that your message has somehow gone astray and I would try them again (and some of the other options on the list would probably also be worth talking to about your criteria so you can decide whether to pay them a visit as well).

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=54854]Hi AndrewR,

This is probably the post you found but just in case the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I think after a couple of weeks it’s probably safe to assume that your message has somehow gone astray and I would try them again (and some of the other options on the list would probably also be worth talking to about your criteria so you can decide whether to pay them a visit as well).

Phoenix[/quote]

Thank you, Phoenix. Yes, that was the post I found and it was really helpful. We went and laid on a good amount of mattresses last night. The fact is, my wife just does not like the feel of latex at all. She really embraces a traditional coil bed so we are going to start looking in that direction. I prefer latex for sure, but am comfortable with getting a traditional coil.

So, we had been to the original mattress factory before and tried some of their Orthopedic line. We liked the pillowtops (both the 1" and 2" pillowtop) they had and I wonder your thoughts on quality of the materials. Is 486 coils enough for a queen bed? Some of the naturepedic we were looking at had 1100 or so.

The info sheets they gave do not have the true specs, but I am almost positive their two sided mattresses used 1.5 density polyfoam and I know that meets your standard. I did a search for original mattress factory beds on the forums, but did not come up with much at all. Any general thoughts on this brand?

Hi AndrewR,

If you can find out and post the information listed here about any mattress you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” or let you know if I can see any “seak links” in the design. Without this information it’s not possible for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality and durability of any mattress. Based on my experience … the original mattress factory is transparent about the materials in their mattresses although an employee would need to be willing to take the time to check their spec book to provide you with the information you need and some of their employees may be more or less willing to do this than others.

If the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then the coil count would be fine and I would be very cautious about using coil counting as a way to compare mattresses in the first place since it usually isn’t a reliable way to assess the durability of an innerspring or a mattress that uses them … especially when you may be comparing different types of coils that use different types of construction and designs. There is more about “coil counting” and comparing innersprings in this article and in post #10 here. The 1100 coil count you are referring to may also be a microcoil that is used as a comfort layer which is very different from the types of springs that are used for the support cores in a mattress.

While 1.5 lb polyfoam would be a suitable minimum density for comfort layers in a two sided mattress and I believe that you are correct that many of the OMF mattresses use a minimum of 1.5 lb polyfoam in their two sided mattresses … I would always check to make sure that you have all the information you need to make an informed choice before making any mattress purchase and I wouldn’t rely on any “second hand” information that doesn’t come from the manufacturer or retailer themselves so that you can confirm that a specific mattress you are considering meets the guidelines here … especially since manufacturers can sometimes change the specs of their mattresses from time to time.

OMF in general makes some good quality/value mattresses that I would certainly consider as a good quality/value purchase but I would be very cautious about “brand shopping” because in terms of quality and durability any specific mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Phoenix