Hybrid Comparison: Nest, Luma, MyGreenMattress

I’ve narrowed it down to the following coil/foam hybrids and would appreciate any thoughts to help me compare/differentiate:
Nest Alexander Signature (non-latex)
Next Hybrid Latex
MyGreenMattress Natural Escape
Luma Mattress
Luma Latext Hybrid

Has anyone tried more than one of the options above? I’m fully aware of the limitation of user reviews when making such a subjective decision, but others’ experience can still be very useful.
What objective data might help illustrate the differences between these? Thanks!

Hi Sam.Attress,

[quote]I’ve narrowed it down to the following coil/foam hybrids and would appreciate any thoughts to help me compare/differentiate:
Nest Alexander Signature (non-latex)
Next Hybrid Latex
MyGreenMattress Natural Escape
Luma Mattress
Luma Latext Hybrid
What objective data might help illustrate the differences between these?[/quote]

I can assist with some specifications of the products, which would be the logical first step in comparing items and ranking them as part of your personal value equation, and see how those specifications compare components to the durability guidelines here.

Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid
Available in Luxury Firm or Medium
2" 1.5 lb polyfoam quilted to cover
2" 3.5 lb copper infused memory foam (4 lb for medium version)
2" 1.8 lb SmartFlow polyfoam
7" 5-zone pocketed coil spring unit with edge reinforcement

Nest Hybrid Latex
Available in Medium, Firm, or a split Firm/Medium (zippered cover to access latex)
2" wool top layer quilted to cover
3" medium or firm Dunlop natural latex
7" 5-zone pocketed coil spring unit with edge reinforcement

My Green Mattress Natural Escape
GOTS cotton and Oeko-Tex certified wool quilted to cover
3" GOLS certified natural Dunlop latex
3-zone pocketed spring unit with spring edge reinforcement

Luma Sleep Latex Hybrid Slumber System
Available in Plush, Medium Firm or Firm
Topper:
3" Blended Talalay latex (ILDs 19/28/36 for Plush/Medium-Firm/Firm).
Luma Mattress:
1.5" Blended Talalay latex (ILDs 19/28/36 for Plush/Medium-Firm/Firm).
Quantum Edge Bolsa steel perimeter pocketed coil spring unit (Combi-Zone is available for an upcharge)
1" 1.8 lb polyfoam base.

As I think you may already be aware, while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range).

In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

Thanks for the helpful stats Phoenix. I’m leaning towards Nest Hybrid Latex or Luma Latex Hybrid. What would you say are the key points of differentiation, quality of materials/construction, any objective pros/cons you can identify or weak links (not asking for your recommendation of course, and good to find that both are TMU members)?
Is Nest’s 5-Zone Coil layer a legitimate advantage over Luma’s 2-Zone (incl. edge)?
Is Luma 1" HD Base Foam an advantage over Nest’s lack of base foam (mattress will be on a platform bed w/2" steel slats that are prob about 5-7" apart).
Dunlop (Nest) vs Talalay (Luma)…great info on your website, thanks.

Context: Mattress is for 2 people: 5’10" 140lbs and 5’4" 165lbs…and probably a dog at the foot soon. Side and back sleepers/readers. Lower back pain due to injury is an issue. Wife generally prefers a bit softer/pillow-top feel but is very adaptable and says back support is higher priority (though plushness doesn’t necessarily mean less support, as I’m learning); neither of us likes a very firm top, though I know that’s a subjective measurement. Spring/bounce is desirable for sex; the all-foam mattresses we’ve tried (such as Nest Love & Sleep Mattress ) felt ‘dead’ to us. Minimal motion transfer is nice but not a top priority, as long as the mattress doesn’t squeak.

I also just stumbled upon Tuck Mattress latex/coil hybrid, which I’ll have to investigate further. Any thoughts on that one?

Hi Sam.Attress,

The Bolsa unit in the Luma Sleep is only one zone. I think you are including the edge reinforcement as a zone, which you wouldn’t normally do in describing (just to be sure I’m on the “same page” as you are). You could change to the three-zone Combi-Zone with edge reinforcement if you desired zoning, although the spring unit in either the Nest or the two offered in the Luma should all suffice your BMIs. Luma tends to recommend the zoned unit in cases of a higher BMI, or of course personal preference. The three-zone design allows for a firmer area in the middle third of the spring unit. The five-zone design in the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex allows for a bit more contouring under the hips and shoulders. Some people notice zoning in an innerspring unit – others do not. Being deeper in the mattress, it tends to not influence comfort as much as it can contribute to differences in alignment if needed.

Actually, the Nest does a have a thin piece of quilting polyfoam under the spring unit, but I do not know the thickness, so I didn’t list it. I wouldn’t differentiate between the two items vis-à-vis the base foam as main “difference maker”, IMHO, but the base foam in the Luma will provide a bit more of a “solid” bottom feel. I would also inquire with each manufacturer about slat spacing, as up to 7" between slats would be outside of the 3" maximum that Luma recommends and the 4" maximum that Nest Bedding lists in their warranty.

This is really where you would notice the difference between the two mattresses. The Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex uses Dunlop, which does tend to become “firmer faster” than Talalay at a corresponding ILD. No soft option is available – only medium and firm. The Luma Sleep Hybrid System will have more variations offered, not only in the base mattress choice of Talalay ILD, but also the choice of the topper Talalay ILD. You may select plush, medium or firm. In this situation, you’re choosing between good and good, so it really would come down to your personal preference. Some people have an affinity for Dunlop, others for Talalay. There is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

There’s a couple different Tuck Mattresses out there, but I think you mean the one that is TryTuck headed by a marketer, advertiser and entrepreneur named Bill Fish. They have a very aggressive affiliate program. His group purchased the name Tuck from two other people who had developed a Tuck mattress (now Doze). The concept is that you fill out an online form and then a configuration is presented to you to order. I’m not completely familiar with the product, but specifications of some of the foams that I have been able to find are 3.5 lb copper/gel memory foam, Dunlop latex, a microcoil unit, various polyfoams at 1.8 lb, and a pocketed spring unit. I haven’t confirmed these specifications, and I don’t have access all of the various designs they offer, so consider this information as limited and confirm any actual specifications with anything you’d be considering. Using memory foam, this could have less of the localized “bounce” that you said you prefer.

Phoenix

Could you elaborate on this a little bit? Are you saying the same spring unit could feel different if there was a thin layer of base foam underneath it or not?

Hi The Toddler,

All layers of a mattress contribute to the overall comfort, with the layers the closest to your skin having the greatest impact on overall comfort.

When placed upon a foundation with wider gaps between the support network, a mattress containing a more substantial layer beneath an innerspring support unit (especially a pocketed spring unit) can have a more solid/substantial feel (sink in less between the gaps of the foundation).

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. And what if you have a solid surface foundation? Would there be a noticeable difference between the springs resting on just that surface vs a layer of foam and then the surface? And do most manufacturers put that bottom layer of foam in so the mattress holds together better rather than for comfort reasons?

Hi The Toddler,

On a firm and flat surface the difference between a 1" foam base and a posture pad under a pocketed spring unit would generally be less noticeable, but this of course depends upon the overall construction of the mattress. The base piece can influence overall comfort to a slight amount in this particular example, but lending to overall durability/structural integrity would be the primary focus in such a situation. There are other situations, as in some cases in the past where I’ve seen thicker layers of latex placed under the core used in all-latex mattresses as a manner of achieving a slightly different comfort, but this is not so common, and also not the case here.

Phoenix

Hello! I am very happy to have found the mattress underground and am in the process of finding a hybrid mattress. I am looking for a firm / medium firm hybrid mattress and came across my green mattresses and this post with these other hybrid suggestions which has been very helpful. I like to sleep “on” a mattress rather than “in” one which is why I am looking for a hybrid since I don’t like the feel of sinking into a foam only mattress. I have a couple questions that I’d appreciate any input on! For the mattresses listed, what is the effect of having thicker coil springs? Is this just a matter of durability?

Also, we would like to put the mattress on an adjustable base - are there any issues with using one of these hybrids on an adjustable base?

Thank you!

Hello! I am very happy to have found the mattress underground and am in the process of finding a hybrid mattress. I am looking for a firm / medium firm hybrid mattress and came across my green mattresses and this post with these other hybrid suggestions which has been very helpful. I like to sleep “on” a mattress rather than “in” one which is why I am looking for a hybrid since I don’t like the feel of sinking into a foam only mattress. My understanding that a hybrid helps with this, but I am also reading that this may be more related to memory foam vs. latex. Any input you have on that would be helpful! Also, we would like to put the mattress on an adjustable base - are there any issues with using one of these hybrids on an adjustable base? Thank you!

From the research i’ve been doing and still trying to decide, if you are looking for a firmer latex over innerspring hybrid mattress you could look at avocado (even the "plush pillowtop will likely come in as firm, and appears to have “green” materials. Luma sleep system which uses talalay latex but comes in firm feel, my green mattress natural escape which is cheapest with their labor day discount but may be more restrictive in terms of returns, brentwood home cedar mattress which is very green and advertises medium but may be too soft for you, and nest bedding latex hybrid which may not be technically the greenest but comes in firm or medium.

Ive tried the nest latex hybrid in their NYC store and couldn’t really notice much of a difference between medium or firm, my wife did and felt medium was firm enough, but they have a good returns/exchange policy. I liked the nest memory foam hybrid too, in firm you dont really sink deep at all (but medium felt too soft, definitely softer than the latex medium).

Phoenix, is there really any difference in feel or quality with dunlop latex that is GOLS certified organic versus “100% natural latex” ?

Hi jjen,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you found us as well.

The sensation of being “in” a mattress versus being “on” is a result of all of the materials contained within a mattress, but you are very correct that the uppermost layers (the memory foam versus the latex that you mentioned) will have the most impact. Softer foams (lower ILDs) will allow you to “sink in” more, and foams with more resiliency (what some people describe as “push back”) return more energy versus those with more “energy dispersing” characteristics, such as memory foam. Memory foam will tend to allow you to “sink in” more than latex, although a plush latex in a thick enough layer will also allow a bit of “sinking in”, but it will be easier to reposition upon. You’d probably want to make sure that whatever you choose has enough surface firmness, combined with good deep support for maintaining proper alignment.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well. A mattress using an innerspring, all-latex core, or a polyfoam core can all provide good “deep support”.

Many of the new innerspring “hybrid” mattresses are using innerspring units with a perimeter of firmer springs for edge reinforcement, versus a polyfoam edge system, and they are meant to be adjustable bed friendly. But you’d always want to confirm beforehand with any manufacturer/retailer you are considering.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There are hundreds of “hybrid” offerings available nationally, but if you’re considering shopping online you may wish to start your search by using the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There is a wide range of hybrid options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. You’ll also want to have a phone conversation with any business you’re considering, and make sure that you have complete details of the componentry within the mattress (following the guidelines as outlined in the mattress shopping tutorial here) and probably choose something that eschews memory foam in the upper layers and uses polyfoam or latex, and is in the generally-described “medium” to “medium-firm” level of comfort, based upon your stated preference. Of course, comfort terminology isn’t standardized, and only through your own personal testing will you be able to determine if what you’re considering meets with your desires.

If you have specific questions about any mattress you’re researching, feel free to post back here in this thread and I’ll do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix

Providing an update to my original posts:
I purchased the Luma Sleep - Latex Hybrid Slumber System mattress and am awaiting its arrival. I spoke with Luma rep Stefano over the phone and he was very helpful, even called me outside of normal business hours. After providing context similar to what I wrote in an earlier post, he suggested a Firm base mattress with Medium latex top; this was not an option I saw on Luma’s website but he said they can customize any way we’d like and he’s had good customer response with this setup. He provided 15% discount and this model comes with 2 pillows, sheet, sheet cover: grand total $1,611
He even called after I placed the order online a couple days later (on a Sunday) to confirm details, explain process/timing, etc.
I previously went to the local Nest store in Chicago and spoke with Amber M., who was also very knowledgeable and helpful without being salesy/pushy at all. Here’s why I decided on Luma Latex Hybrid over Nest Hybrid Latex:

1. Luma uses Talalay latest while Nest uses Dunlop latex.
  2. Luma offered different feel/configuration for base vs comfort layers (maybe Nest can do the same, it wasn’t mentioned when I was in the store).
  3. Since Nest has a local storefront, I assume I’d have to pay Chicago sales tax 10.25%! Amber offered $200 off (still a bit higher than Luma and no pillows/sheets); even if I asked, I don’t think she could have matched Luma’s price since I don’t have to pay tax for Luma.

I was impressed with the products and reps from both companies.

I also needed a Twin mattress for my 4-yr old’s first ‘real’ bed. Didn’t want to spend much but thought I should try to apply some of the knowledge gained about the mattress world while researching for my bed before going to the Mattress Firm a few blocks away or buying the first Twin I saw at Target/Amazon. Thanks in large to info I found on TMU/from Phoenix, I purchased an 8" Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress. Quick online chat w/Dreamfoam customer service, asked about 10% discount plus free pillow for TMU members (neither advertised on their website) and she applied both immediately, couldn’t have been easier. Thanks Phoenix!

Hi Sam.Attress,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchases! :cheer:

I also appreciate you taking the time to chronicle your thought process as you went through your decisions, and I’m looking forward to learning about your mattresses once you and your child have had a chance to sleep upon them for a while.

Phoenix