Hybrid Pocket Coil Support Layer Latex Comfort Layer

Hey! New to the forum but I’ve done my fair share of reading beforehand.
I live in Arizona and have been ticking off the local manufacturers listed in this post:

(https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/thoughts-on-eco-foam-beds)

At mattress factory inc, i came across the hybrid option & liked the feel of it.
Jim, the owner, is a salesman’s salesman and will sell you hard! Unfortunately, when asked about densities of foams he responded that, “there’s nearly 75 different densities i’d have to memorize if i wanted to know them all and ultimately IT DOESN’T MATTER. All that matters is the feel of the foam and the mattress.”

That bummed me out because although he sometimes has spec sheets handy and is happy to walk you through the factory, his opinion of densities doesn’t match your opinions here.

Additionally, he offers no comfort guarantee on any mattress. This is a personal choice and likely reflects his wholesale oriented company direction.

Next up is Arizona Premium Mattress Company. They have a Hybrid Pocket Coil Support Layer with Latex Comfort layer and i need to give them a shot & see how theirs feels. It’s more expensive but comes with a number of upgrades over Mattress Inc.

Comparison:

Mattress Inc.

Pocket Coil Layer, Foam encased
One inch layer HD (1.5lb) polyfoam
Two inch layer HD (1.5lb) polyfoam
Three inch layer talalay latex
Overall 11-12 inch mattress

Bamboo/cotton cover. No comfort guarantee. Unknown okeotex certifications. $920

Arizona Premium Mattress Company:

81/2 inch pocket coil system, not foam encased. Firmer edge coils provide edge support
3’’ talalay or dunlop latex comfort layer.
Wool/bamboo cotton covering.
12’’ mattress.

60 day Comfort guarantee, full refund less shipping. $1095 (plus MUG discount)

So for $175 upgrade, you get a larger coil system, eliminate the polyfoam, you get wool in the covering & best of all a 60 day comfort guarantee.

Phoenix’s Comments on the Arizona Premium Mattress can be found here:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/mattress-comparisons-decision

I think its high time to investigate those PPP’s. I’m rolling out today to see if they have and Black Friday Deals.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the feedback … I appreciate it.

While knowing the density with latex isn’t important because it’s a comfort spec not a quality spec (knowing the type and blend of is the information you would need with latex) … if they were saying this about polyfoam and memory foam it would be reason enough for me to walk away. In the end there are some great options available in Phoenix that are transparent about their materials so you certainly aren’t losing much by eliminating a single manufacturer.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Right! That comment was regarding the polyfoam in his other mattresses. I tried a few of their other beds and that was what i came up with.

Well i definitely went at the perfect time. I had the whole place to myself almost and laid around on beds for hours. Both ken and greg were very helpful and friendly. In the end though, because i’m a mid to heavy guy at 200lbs with existing low back problems, the firm coil base of the hybrid and the 28 ILD, 3’’ Talalay topper felt really supportive yet still remained soft and comfortable.
Ken is ordering in a 32 ILD 3’’ talalay topper for me to try out as well. Very nice of him.

Now, i’m wondering…will a 6’’ firm Talalay base be similar to the firmness of those pocket springs?

Would you agree Phoenix that as you approach more firmness, without going too firm, you also have more support?

Hi Brett,

I would trust your own experience about which one feels firmer to you but even if they are the same firmness they would feel different from each other. There is more about how innersprings compare to a latex support core in post #28 here.

The relationship between firmness and support or alignment is often misunderstood and many people believe that firmer is “more supportive” which isn’t always the case. A mattress that is too firm for a particular body type and sleeping position will provide poor support under some parts of the body and a mattress that is too soft for a particular body type and sleeping position will provide poor support under other parts of the body. One of the two main functions of a mattress is to keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions and this needs a combination of good primary support under the heavier parts of the body and good secondary support under the more recessed parts of the sleeping profile. There is more about primary and secondary support and their relationship to neutral alignment and pressure relief in post #4 here and in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Well fast forward a while & i still haven’t purchased a bed. Spent a lot of time trying out the all latex options at Arizona Premium Mattress & I can’t seem to settle. Ha! Greg and Ken are very patient guys though and i always come early afternoon when its slow, so i’m not “in the way” of others trying out the beds.

In the end, I ended up rolling between their split construction king size, 19 over 32 & 19 over 28 (all latex, talalay blend, 1.25’’ wool topper, 3’’ topper, 6’’ base). The 19 over 32 seemed to support and align my bottom half nice but my shoulders don’t sink in enough. The 19 over 28 sunk my shoulders in perfect but the rest of my spine feels out of alignment.

Ha! then i laid sideways on the split mattress with the 32 under by bottom half and the 28 under my shoulders. That felt pretty good! Unfortunately, zoned construction is not something they are interested in doing.

Any ideas on who would be interested in doing it?

Hi Brett,

[quote]Ha! then i laid sideways on the split mattress with the 32 under by bottom half and the 28 under my shoulders. That felt pretty good! Unfortunately, zoned construction is not something they are interested in doing.

Any ideas on who would be interested in doing it? [/quote]

Zoned construction is “less likely” to be necessary with a latex mattress (see post #7 here).

Have you tried the softer core with a thinner 2" comfort layer?

If may also be worth lying on the softer version for about 30 minutes without moving to see if you can sense any stress or tension or pain in your lower back or an “urge” to change position because what you “feel” about alignment or how deeply it “feel like” you are sinking in may not always be reliable when you are testing a material with different properties that you haven’t slept on in the past may not always translate into actual “symptoms” in your sleeping experience (see post #22 here and post #6 here). I would also keep in mind that if you did decide on the softer mattress and it turned out not to be “supportive” enough that with a component mattress you would have the option to exchange it for the firmer support core and if you needed to then you would still have the option to add a relatively thin topper as well if your actual sleeping experience indicated that you needed it once you have slept on the mattress for 30 days or so and the mattress has had a chance to break in or you have made other “fine tuning” adjustments that can help (see post #2 here).

I don’t know of any specific zoned mattresses that are available locally (I don’t keep a record of the specifics of the mattresses that are available in the showrooms of all the hundreds of retailers/manufacturers that are in the many lists throughout the forum because that would be more than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) so you would need to check with any local retailers/manufacturers to see if they have a zoned latex mattress that you would be interested in testing but if you do decide that a zoned construction is a main priority for you then there is more about zoning in this article along with post #11 here and post #2 here and both Flobeds here and Reverie here make latex mattresses that are available online that have zoned designs that can be customized. .

Phoenix

Ended up finding a bed by another manufacturer. Brooklyn Bedding’s #BME in a soft works well for me.
I would direct others reading this to head over to the large thread dedicated to that product if you are interested in reading more about what people are saying. My own posts regarding my purchasing experience are somewhere on page 42.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/brooklyn-bedding-best-mattress-ever