Hybrid Vs. All Foam

Hi Experts!
I would be happy to better understand the battle of hybrid mattresses Vs. foam. It seems hybrid tend to be more expensive, are they worth it?

Hi JJ85,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Your question is much too broad for any sort of a specific answer. To understand any particular mattress, you need to first learn of the componentry on the inside. Whether or not you’d prefer a mattress using springs, polyfoam or latex for a support core would be your own personal preference.

There is more information here about support cores, as well as latex support cores[url], [url=https://mattressunderground.com/mattresses/support-cores/polyurethane.html]polyfoam support cores, and innersprings.

Some common types of mattresses are described in this article. “Hybrid” is a term originally coined by Mark Quinn at Leggett and Platt to represent replacing the polyfoam support core in a typical memory foam mattress with a pocketed spring unit. It was found quickly that the term had “traction”, and now it is used to describe almost anything in the industry. I wouldn’t focus too much on terminology and instead objectively analyze whatever mattress you’re considering.

And there are huge variations in pricing in the industry, and hybrids aren’t necessarily higher priced than anything else. As for “value”, there is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix

Phoenix, greetings from New York! I’m looking at an Oslo mattress from Berkeley Ergonomics / Scott Jordan Furniture, and the Hybrid Latex from Nest Bedding. The feel is about the same for me. I was wondering if you think one would be more durable than the other and/or provide more quality for the price. I note that the Oslo is roughly $500 more and has Tallalay Latex while the Nest model has Dunlop. Curious to know your thoughts!

Hi wonkyback,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As for specifications:
Oslo
Organic Cotton quilted to Plein-Ari wool
2" 100% Natural Talalay latex
Honeycomb nested pocket coils
Zippered, removable outer cover

Nest Hybrid Latex
Organic cotton quilted to natural wool
3" natural Dunlop latex (medium or firm)
Quantum Edge pocketed spring unit
1.8 ln polyfoam base

Both of these mattresses use very durable materials and I would expect you to get a long comfort life out of either item. There are no weak links in the materials of either item to sway the needle in the direction of one versus the other.

I think that just about every person who buys a mattress or is a member of the forum has wrestled with a similar scenario which is all about how to choose between “good and good” choices. At this point, it’s time for me to step out of the way and I don’t think anyone can or even should tell you what to choose at this point but some guidance in how to choose may be helpful. Every mattress purchase includes more than just the “material value” of the mattress that are all part of what I call your personal value equation. There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but in the end everyone will need to decide what is most important to them and attach a “value” to all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are part of any final decision. There is no “best and worst” any longer at this point, only what is best for YOU. And again, at this point you are looking at two very good quality options.

As you may be aware, Nest Bedding and Scott Jordan are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to reply upon their advice and expertise as you decide between these two products. And while not a member here of the site, I think highly of Berkeley Ergonomics and they certainly make some quality mattresses.

I’ll be interested in learning about what decision, if any, you eventually make, or if you have more specific questions.

Phoenix