I am so confused, about to just sleep on a box... need two mattresses and tired of trying

I need a queen soft matress and a twin or full soft mattress.
both side sleepers, I have a feeling that my current mattress is the reason for my shoulder pain…
I don’t care what brand or type of mattress.

. I started my journey looking at temperpedic. I guess that’s not a good start.

Can you recommend a few, I am in Houston, TX (retailers or brands)

I need someone to take them upstairs and assemble as well as take the old mattresses away.
Worried that online buying will not accomodate. So I may be stuck with one of the more common and well known names which deliver, take away and set up. Hate to be the mindless consumer.
I would like an adjustable twin (or full).
thanks. Your site is nice but at times gives to much info. A simple comparison would be appreciated.

Hi poppyone,

Unfortunately nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for anyone to know which specific mattress would be a good match for someone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I’m certainly happy to help with how to choose but only you can know which specific mattress is best for you based on your own testing and personal experience and criteria.

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label which isn’t nearly as important as whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and uses good quality and durable materials inside it.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Houston area (subject to the value guidelines) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Is there a synopsis of latex vs. memory foam vs. springs, etc…
Is there anything positive about the sealy or temperpedic, the more I research the less impressed I am:
either there is that awful indentation from a body in the bed after a while (sure there is a technical term)…
or chemical fumes
or to hot
or no one likes the big box
or they are peddling their own brands like saatva? or casper or restonic
and what about duxiana or other hand tufted type?
What about a bed that has a foot / head incline.
Also you go on about personal preference. What if I like a bed after trying for 15 minutes and then it sags? Is there a longevity list? (I don’t want to do this again for a long while)

Is there a softer mattress guide, I have a bad shoulder (thanks stupid mattress) and back. side sleeper.
PS I will donate on paypal. thanks for your dedication to this for whatever reason…

Hi poppyone,

The overviews have more about the different materials that are used in mattresses.

Memory foam is too soft to be used as a support core in a mattress but there is a comparison between latex support cores and innerspring support cores in post #28 here. There is also more about the pros and cons of latex and memory foam comfort layers in post #6 here. In the end though there are so many variables and different versions of each material or component and so many different mattresses in each mattress category that these are just generic comparisons and your own testing is the only reliable way to know which type of mattress or materials you tend to prefer.

That would depend on which specific mattress you were considering and the materials inside it but outside of being able to say that most Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials (and have poor value) there isn’t much no.

There is more about the Casper mattress in post #2 here and in post #3 here and some more detailed information about Saatva in post #1 here and a forum search on Casper or on Saatva (you can just click the links) will bring up more information and feedback about both.

The “value” of the other mattresses you mentioned would depend on the specific mattress, whether they are a good match for you in terms of PPP, on the materials in the mattress, and on how they compared to other mattresses you are considering based on all the criteria that are important to you. The name of the manufacturer isn’t an important part of the “value” of a mattress and most manufacturers make a range of mattresses so it’s always important to look at mattresses on a mattress by mattress basis based on your testing and on what is inside them, not the name of the manufacturer (see post #5 here).

Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to has more information about adjustable beds and some guidelines that can help you choose the one that has the features that you are most interested in if they are an option that you would prefer.

This is answered in the previous post I linked in my previous reply about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase but this is exactly why in addition to testing a mattress for suitability in terms of PPP it’s important to know what is inside it so that you can confirm that it uses higher quality and more durable materials that won’t soften, sag, or break down prematurely. The post about the “value” of a mattress purchase also includes this link to the foam quality/density guidelines I would use and this link which has much more information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person.

Your best chance of making a successful purchase is following the steps in the tutorial post one step at a time but once you have done some basic reading and decided on your budget and the types of mattresses and materials you would like to test (steps 1 and 2) … it will come down to finding more open and transparent retailers and manufacturers (step 3) where you can test mattresses for suitability (PPP) and check the quality of the materials for durability and any weak links in the mattress (step 4), and then compare your finalists for “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (step 5) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Ok thanks I’ll spend some time reading this. I am going to try texas mattress (a recommended supplier) - and the only other one I know of (temperpedic) Otherwise, it’s a big box brand. I am not buying site unseen off the internet.

One last question (for now).

Is there a post on the price differentials? (value proposition). I am thinking about 3K for the queen set and 1500 for the twin or a bit more or less.

What is the next level above that price range?
It seems that most of the mattresses in my home town store are under 3K. I am going to try them out this weekend. But just curious why a bed can be 5K or more (like Duxiana - which doesn’t seem to be mentioned here?)

[quote=“poppyone” post=45399]One last question (for now).

Is there a post on the price differentials? (value proposition). I am thinking about 3K for the queen set and 1500 for the twin or a bit more or less.

What is the next level above that price range?
It seems that most of the mattresses in my home town store are under 3K. I am going to try them out this weekend. But just curious why a bed can be 5K or more (like Duxiana - which doesn’t seem to be mentioned here?)[/quote]

Your budget will allow you to get some really nice mattresses. The best value for you will depend on what type of mattress you like the best. You will probably need to go to a showroom somewhere near you to compare latex, memory foam, and innerspring. Once you narrow down the type you can then start comparing brands and the materials they use to figure out who makes the mattress that will fit you the best and will last the longest.

That 5k bed might be heaven for someone, but for you it could be the worst night’s sleep of your life.

Hi poppyone,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here because price isn’t really a good way to define the value of a mattress. The price of a mattress is only one part of its value and value itself is always relative to what is available to you in the area you live in, your personal criteria and preferences, and the specific mattresses you are comparing or considering and how they compare to each other. In many cases the price of a mattress has very little relationship to its value.

This post I linked earlier has more information about the most important parts of the value of a mattress.

There is more about what I call your “personal value equation” here.

There is also some very general information about the types of mattresses you may find in different budget ranges in this article but this is a very generic guideline only because there are too many variables involved to really use a budget range to define value.

Phoenix

Hi poppyone, I’d tend to agree with Benstark. Those price ranges/budgets you listed for queen and twin beds should give you a lot of flexibility and the ability to find a nice mattress that suits you. Personal preference I think is what drives mattresses up over $5,000. It’s not necessarily better (or justified as better) by everyone but may have perks important to some. Whether it’s extreme white glove delivery service, prompt personalized service involving any questions or warranty claims etc. A $1000 mattress from a regular retailer and a big “S” brand, placing a call may mean they get back to you in a few days. A $5000-$10,000 mattress, they might have someone available when you call or call you back in the evening off store hours.

Hastens makes mattresses that sell for over $50,000 and offers extreme high end components, things like horse hair, hand stitching and from what I understand when you go to purchase one you don’t walk into the store and wait for a salesman to wander over. You schedule an appointment which they’ve set aside strictly for you and are there to tailor a mattress to you. Sort of celebrity service at celebrity prices. I’m not going to say whether it’s worth it or not or even speculate, but they definitely provide a level of service above sears and come with a pricetag to match. I’m sure there’s everything in between as well. Best of luck on your mattress search.