I Cannot Find Tranquility Mattress Company

Does anyone know what happened to this internet mattress company? I bought a queen size all natural foam mattress on line two years ago. Mattress had a 20-year warranty, so it was not cheap ($2,000). Tranquility Mattress Co. is no longer on the internet, nor do they have a working phone number. I am concerned that any problem is mine alone. Would appreciate ANY information!

Mona

Hi Donc,

Unfortunately … Tranquility Mattress, Angel Beds, and some of the other companies that were part of the Merrick Group (see post #2 here) are all out of business (see their BBB report here).

Phoenix

Thank you! Guess I am stuck with no warranty. VERY disappointed in this cmpany. No more large on-line purchases for this family!

Hi Donc,

Unfortunately … local companies and even larger companies can go out of business just as easily as online companies and it’s always disappointing to their customers and of course can leave people “stuck” if they have warranty issues. It wouldn’t have made any difference if you had purchased from their local store or online. At one time they were listed as one of the fastest growing companies in America in 2006 but of course this is more about marketing than anything else.

Even for companies that stay in business … most warranty claims are denied anyway because of the exclusions that are part of most mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

One of the founders of The Merrick Group is Philip Krim which was the parent company of Tranquility Mattress, Angelbeds, Dream Number Beds, and the Sleep Better Store) is now one of the co-founders of a new startup company called Casper Mattress.

According to the information here … Merrick Group is still active (NOTE ADDED LATER: it appears that they are no longer active) even though they aren’t doing business any longer so you may want to check with the Texas Secretary of State for any contact information or to find out who the current principles of the company may be to see if you have any recourse.

What is the issue you are having with your mattress?

Phoenix

We also are having problems with our $2600 (!) mattress that we bought from Tranquility. We felt safe spending so much because of the warranty. I guess we are stuck with a very expensive mistake. Did you ever find recourse with your Queen sized mattress? What type of problems did you have?

Hi rickshawpete,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having issues with your mattress but quite frankly it’s unlikely that you will have much recourse when a company has gone out of business.

What are the issues you are having?

If your issues only involve the top layers then it may be possible to do some mattress surgery and reuse some of your layers (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. We have the ridge forming in the middle of the bed. I’ve d=found some online suggestions which we’ll try. Thanks so much!

Hi rickshawpete,

It may be worth checking your foundation under the mattress to make sure that it has no flex or sagging to confirm that it isn’t the cause (or at least part of the cause) of the ridge in your mattress.

If you have a split foundation then the frame edges of each foundation where they join in the middle may be firmer than the center of each foundation which can contribute to the mattress sagging or the ridge in the middle.

Phoenix