I can't find a suitable platform bed!

Hi there!

I’ve been spending an inordinate amount of time on this wonderful website in the past week, and it has led my husband and I to purchasing a Brooklyn Bedding latex mattress that is now on its way to our home! We are excited, and thankful for all the help we found on this site.

Now, however, I finally have to ask a question, because I can’t seem to find an answer. I found the list of platform bed manufacturers, but can’t find one with enough information for me to comfortably make a purchase. Has anyone found a king platform bed that has:

1. less than 3" space between the slats
  2. a center bar with at least two feet?

We are looking to spend $600 or less, and everywhere I’ve called, emailed, etc, has not been able to provide me with those two pieces of information! At this point, we’ll be sleeping on the floor in a week when the mattress arrives. . . I’d love specific recommendations, I’m desperate at this point!

Thank you so much!

Hi SaoilsinnSuz,

Unfortunately platform beds are more of a furniture item which is somewhat outside the main focus of the forum and aren’t something that I spend a lot of time researching since mattresses take up most of my available time. As you know there are a few suggestions at the end of the foundation post here but hopefully some of the members here will see your post and share their suggestions about platform beds they are aware of that meet your criteria.

I believe that the Tatamiroom and the Miwafuton platform beds meet your spacing criteria but I don’t know how may legs they have for center support.

If a merchant can’t tell you the spacing between the slats then they may at least be able to tell you the number of slats. If the slats in a platform bed are 1x3’s (which are actually .75" x 2.5") then with a bedframe that is 80" long you would normally need 14 - 16 slats that are evenly spaced to have a 3" gap between the slats. The slats would be a total of 35" wide which means that there would be 45" remaining and with 14 slats where the top and bottom slats were 3" away from the head or foot of the bed you would have 15 “spaces” and if you divide by 45" by 15 you would have 3" gaps. If the top and bottom slats were placed right against the head or foot of the bed then there would be only be 13 “spaces” so if you divide 45" by 13 then you would have 3.46" gaps and in this case you would need 16 slats to have 15 spaces and 3" gaps.

If you end up purchasing a platform bed where the gaps are slightly bigger than 3" then you could add a very firm layer of polyfoam or something like the bed rug here or one of the slat conversions here (which has no flex at all) or one of the Ikea slatted bed bases here (which has some flex which may change how the mattress feels and performs) or even something similar to a vinyl lattice like this to help increase the load bearing surface area and improve the support under the mattress and help prevent your mattress from sagging into any gaps in your support surface.

Phoenix

Oh, I didn’t realize that a bed rug could be used with a slat system - we may end up going that route! Thank you so much Phoenix!

Cozy Pure, a member of MU has a large selection of platform bed styles and a few are within your $600 budget.