I give up!

I have been looking for a very simple bed for a long time now. Supportive, firmer springs with a somewhat soft 2" layer of latex on top. No chemicals or poly foam.

Simple, right?

Nope. It has been a literal nightmare of salespeople - even manufacturers - who just “can’t hear” me, or who just want to make a sale.

Because my choices in nontoxic beds are far fewer, I was either outright lied to or didn’t push harder to get more answers before buying. In the last case, I let a total nutjob salesperson talk my ear off for FOUR HOURS which left little time for me to get the info I needed and then got my questions answered with half-truths (at best).

This latest bed was supposed to be pocket coils w/N2 latex. Instead I received coils that are way too soft w/N5 latex (!!) and the guy won’t answer my calls. (Yes, I plan to follow up in whatever way I need to,)

Two questions, if I may:

1. are pocket coils always wrapped? Because I had seen these coils I now own in the factory - and they weren’t. I just figured they were some kind of “raw” pocket coils.

2. where can I purchase a plain set of firm or firmer coils - that won’t cause my hips to sag - without poly foam in or around them? (Either pocket coils or another type are fine).

I’ve got the latex here already and will purchase a zip cover and just make my own bed.

Thanks.

Hi LookingNow,

I’m sorry to hear about all your experiences and I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your mattress.

Yes they would all be enclosed by some type of fabric but the fabric they use to wrap them will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Even the pocket coils used in ultra premium mattresses like Hastens or VI Spring are wrapped.

Not all pocket coils are encased with polyfoam for edge support though (see post #2 here).

It’s difficult to find just an innerspring that you can buy individually but there are a couple of sources listed in the components post here that I have confirmed will sell them to a customer although the shipping cost will be high (probably more than the cost of the coil).

It may also be worth talking to Ken at Arizona Premium here who may be able to sell you one of the pocket coils that they use in this mattress which uses firmer coils for edge support instead of polyfoam (you would need to call them to find out) and if they can they would be able to compress it for shipping which would lower the cost.

Phoenix

Phoenix! You are a genius! Thank you.
Now that I know I was not given pocket coils, but instead probably some kind of continuous coil (and my receipt for $1675 says “pocket coils”), I just may have some recourse.

I happened to be looking at Ken’s website today. If I can’t get my current manufacturer to correct its wrongs I will look into Arizona, who I have had excellent experiences with in buying latex toppers.

Hope all is well!

[quote=“LookingNow” post=50661]Phoenix! You are a genius! Thank you.
Now that I know I was not given pocket coils, but instead probably some kind of continuous coil (and my receipt for $1675 says “pocket coils”), I just may have some recourse.

I happened to be looking at Ken’s website today. If I can’t get my current manufacturer to correct its wrongs I will look into Arizona, who I have had excellent experiences with in buying latex toppers.

Hope all is well![/quote]

I hope you get your money back. And I would threaten litigation just on principal if I were you. $1600 is not life or death but its a good chunk of change and you’ve been the victim of fraud. They shouldn’t get away with it.

I just looked at my receipt and it actually doesn’t say “pocket coil”. I remember thinking as he was writing this how unclear it was.
Can anyone decipher what type of coil unit he ordered on this receipt? (Attached file).
Thank you.
PS the Latex ILD wasn’t written either. I knew that. Man, you gotta be so careful.

I just looked at my receipt and it actually doesn’t say “pocket coil”. I remember thinking as he was writing this how unclear it was.
Can anyone decipher what type of coil unit he ordered on this receipt? (Attached file).
Thank you.
PS the Latex ILD wasn’t written either. I knew that. Man, you gotta be so careful.

Thank you.

Hi LookingNow,

It’s hard to decipher but it looks like it was an 804 encased coil (which would be a pocket coil). A google search on 804 encased coil will bring up some mattresses that use them (mostly Gold Bond).

Phoenix

Ah. Yes. Looked it up and it is mostly Gold Bond. Here’s an almost exact comp of what Gold Bond charges for the bed I paid $1575 for, except mine has 2" latex on either side, and my latex is natural.

Here’s a comp with non-naturals:
http://allsleep.net/AristocratPlush.aspx

But alas, I believe I was not even given those pocket coils. The “raw”-looking coils I was shown I would get and told were “pocket coils” were all over his warehouse and might be his standard commercial coils, which I understand a manufacturer can pay as little as $30 for?

I also Googled “flex 75” and “mattress” and came up with this:

zowasel.com.ng/…/vita-spring-flex-75-x-…
Mobile-friendly - The spring flex mattresshas an inner core spring mattress with an outer layer of medium density foam.

I think I’m getting somewhere, maybe…

Hi LookingNow,

I doubt that this would have anything to do with your mattress. The “75” is just one of the dimensions for a different mattress.

Phoenix

I fell for the same trick from a local guy who posted on craigslist.

Guy sold me an “organic mattress”. Turns out. It was only an organic cotton cover. Matter of fact, it was basically the same mattress as the Saatva Mattress. Saatva even uses the same manufacturer. Pleasant Mattress Company / Cannon Sleep Products.

Sold me with the same BS line of “soy based foam, no chemical fire retardant, no petroleum smell / off gassing”.

On my receipt, it only mentions Platinum Mattress. So I can’t sue him. So it’s just sitting in the garage right now.

In the end, I went with a RoyalPedic mattress. I’ll update everyone when I get the mattress. Only thing I can say right now is that it’s pretty damn expensive.