I just need some help and a little more guidance

Hi olopez.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum.

I can see you have received some great tips from Emily!

In addition to her in-depth reply, I wanted to add a few things.

First, as you are both side sleepers with BMIs over 30, it’s extremely important - should you be considering mattresses with memory or poly foam in the comfort layers - that you find something appropriate with regards to both support and durability.

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If the mattress is one-sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum foam density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If the mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

As you’ve mentioned a preference for latex, I might consider reaching out to some or all of the following A number of our Trusted Members :

Arizona Premium
Sleep EZ
FloBeds
Latex Mattress Factory
Nest Bedding

It’s possible I forgot to add someone so definitely do look through our directory as well.

Why is that? A split configuration can be a great option for you both to get the support and comfort you both need and deserve from a single mattress. It also provides excellent motion isolation.

The mattress can be built so that the total thickness of the mattress is the same for each side, which means that there would be no difference in elevation, and with a suitable tight fitted quilted cover, the “split” transition area between sides is usually unnoticeable for most people. You can read more here about side by side layering in post #2.

Regardless of which mattress you choose or may be considering, it’s important that you have a detailed conversation with the knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who, and provide them with good information about your body types, sleeping styles, general preferences and history, some general information about mattresses you have tested and done well with, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress.

As is the nature of business, we sometimes lose or gain members over the years for various reasons.

You want to look for retailers who are transparent with their materials, foam densities, and willing to put your needs above their bottom line. You can learn more about that here.

Sometimes! You can usually find that kind of information by doing a keyword search in the forum.

I would recommend this article on value - I think it will answer your question!

Emily offered some information already, but you may also find this forum topic useful.

Quality mattresses with great value are available year round at better retailers and manufacturers and the so-called “sale prices” that are offered by most of the mainstream stores and major brands (and even some of the smaller ones) are often a complete gimmick. Sale prices of 30, 40, 50% or more off are a major warning sign (and never really end) since nobody ever buys these mattresses at regular prices anyway. These fake sale prices are meant to encourage you to buy based on a false perception of value or based on a sense of urgency when in fact they are often still very much overpriced based on the materials in the mattress. While even good stores or manufacturers will occasionally have a sale … they will be discounted from selling prices that already have good value and be for a smaller discount and for a legitimate reason.

Buy a mattress based on the quality of materials that are in it and how it is constructed … never by the brand. Every mattress manufacturer or retailer should be able to tell you exactly what is in every mattress they sell layer by layer (from a cutaway or spec sheet) and the benefits and qualities of each material and layer. This includes the density of any polyfoam or memory foam, the type and blend of any latex, the type of fabrics or quilting materials or fibers that are used in the mattress cover (ticking), and any other materials in the mattress. If they can’t or won’t provide this information … pass them by unless you are willing to go through the time and frustration of trying to find out yourself and hitting the many roadblocks that may be involved in trying to research and discover this information if it is even available at all

I hope this helps.
NikkiTMU