I-Mattress by King Koil

I want to buy local in the small town I live in. The I-mattress by King Koil is available and I am considering purchasing the G6. Can you please give me some information, advice and reviews?

Hi lynndeal1,

I should probably mention first of all that it may not be a good idea to use your email address as a username. There are many email harvesters that search the internet looking for emails to add to their spam lists. I’d be happy to change it for you if you’d like if you let me know what to change it to :slight_smile:

The only way to evaluate the quality and value of a mattress and to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses is to know the details of every layer that is inside it and it’s the job of the retailer that is selling the mattress to provide this for you. Without this information there is no way to make a meaningful evaluation of any mattress in terms of quality or value because a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials that it uses.

You can test a mattress for pressure relief/comfort and for spinal alignment/support and for your preferences but you can’t feel quality. Even low quality materials can provide good comfort and support in the short term when they are new … the problem is they won’t stay that way for very long and the loss of comfort and support because of the softening or degrading of the materials in the mattress isn’t covered by a warranty. Knowing the details of what is in the mattress is also the only way to avoid overpaying for a mattress that should cost much less. Nobody wants to pay “real wood” prices for “particle board” even though they may look, feel, and function the same when they are new.

In the case of the G6 … you can see the quality of the materials it uses here.

3 lb memory foam is a low quality memory foam (I wouldn’t consider any mattress that used it in layers over an inch thick)
1.5 lb polyfoam is also a lower quality material that I would only consider in thinner layers and preferably in a two sided mattress (to improve its durability)
The gel memory foam they use has “gel spheres” which are not poured with the memory foam as a liquid and may lower the durability of the memory foam that it is added to. It also doesn’t include any density information.
The 1.5 lb base foam is also low quality and is typically used in lower budget mattresses.

Overall these are not good specs (like most major brands) and these materials don’t belong in a mattress at this price (over $1500 for a queen in some cases) and would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability. There would be better quality/value choices available for less.

Post #1 here and the information it links to may help you eliminate some of the worst choices and help you focus on better quality and value choices that may be available. If you let me know the city or zip where you live I’d be happy to let you know of any better options I’m aware of in your area.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Thank you for informing me about not using my email address as a username. Please change it to: computergeniusiamnot. Thank you. As for the G6 information…I am shocked because i was given very different info. I was told it was 4lb memoryfoam and a very high density core and also a revolutionary gel fusion being superior to others. I am glad i found your site. Thank you.

Hi computergeniusiamnot,

Your username has been changed :slight_smile:

I was actually quite surprised to find the specs online. It’s much more typical to find the general layering information but without the specific foam quality information … especially with the larger brands like Comfort Solutions which usually don’t provide these types of meaningful specs.

The gel memory foam layer is probably 4 lbs (which is the most common density of gel memory foam) but they didn’t tell you the “rest of the story”.

Phoenix

I live in Iowa and the zip code is 50501. I would like very much to be given your best recommendations for a gel/memoryfoam mattress. Once again, I appreciate your help and am very happy to have discovered this site!

Hi computergeniusiamnot,

The closest “list” of better choices to you is in the Des Moines area in post #6 here. One of these is a member here which means they are a recommended choice. They have an outlet in Ames and of course it also helps that they offer a 5% discount on their mattresses for the forum members here :slight_smile:

While they would involve a drive … they do carry a complete range of mattresses including gel memory foam which use good quality materials and have good value. They work directly with a local Restonic licensee and Joe the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.

If these are too far away for you … then let me know and I’ll take a look at what may be available more locally to you but they would likely require more research to make sure that they have the knowledge and experience to help you make good choices and to also make sure that they are willing and able to tell you the quality of materials that are in their mattresses.

Phoenix

I have been shopping for a new mattress. I was also looking into buying the iMattress G6 as well. I have an offer on the table from a local dealer for $2200 out the door. That’s metal frame, box spring, king size mattress, mattress protector, free delivery, setup and removal of my old set. I’m located in Spring Hill, FL. 34609. I definitely don’t want to drop over two grand into a set if it is indeed just a fancy name mattress with bargain materials inside. The dealer told me it comes with a 25 year warranty. Should I still be concerned? Please help. I’m interested in a king size, gel memory foam mattress.

Hi MGS,

I would be very concerned yes. I would start any search for a new mattress by reading post #1 here.

The biggest issue with King Koil (Comfort Solutions) along with most of the other major brands is that they refuse to disclose the meaningful details about the layers in their mattress. What this means is that any salesperson that talks about the quality of the mattress is just parroting what they have been told and “quality” becomes a meaningless word because there is no way for a consumer (or the salesperson) to know for themselves. This also makes meaningful value comparisons impossible and for the most part if “alternative” methods are used to find out the details of the foam you would find they are lower quality than most of the smaller competing brands. You are being sold a marketing story and an expensive one at that.

Warranties also have little to nothing to do with how long a mattress will last for any particular person. They too are mostly about marketing as you can read in post #174 here.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the Spring Hill / Tampa area I’m aware of are in post #2 here

Phoenix

WOW- I was literally sitting in the store ready to purchase one of these when I thought “man I should have checked reviews.” I did on my phone and came across your site! I almost ran out after reading your site. Now I am wondering where to go to buy a memory foam mattress because everyone carries the same brands (sealy optimum, tempurpedic, then ashley furnitures brand and iMattress). I live in St. Cloud MN.

Hi Jzschmity,

I’m glad you found us “just in the nick of time” :wink:

The first place I would start with your mattress research is post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible and most suitable choice and will hopefully help you avoid the chain stores and major brands (or any brands for that matter) that don’t disclose the quality of the materials that are in their mattresses.

Some of the better possibilities in the Saint Cloud area I’m aware of are listed in post #5 here and there is also a link to the better options in the general Minneapolis area which may carry some better value yet.

Phoenix

We bought a mattress about 5 years ago. The mattress was comfortable for the 1st few years, BUT I urge the public doing research NOT to buy from King Koil nor a mattress that is manufactured by Sleeptronic. After only 5 years, the mattress will become faulty & flawed for one reason or another. I’ve talked to several people that have bought King Koil (from the same manufacturer Sleeptronic) and they have had the same problem.
We have contacted both King Koil and the Manufacturer (Sleeptronic) and BOTH have undisputedly agreed that they have built and sold a flawed and substandard mattress and will “approve the warranty” to certain extent… Since King Koil and Rooms To Go doesn’t do business together anymore, I’m stuck with the shipping of the mattress to the Manufacturer’s location, which is more than 500 miles away. Again, they have accepted responsibility for a defective built mattress that didn’t last more than 5 years, but with certain stipulations.
Therefore, I urge you to spare yourself the troubles of buying something substandard that might not have good quality control and might be defective at the end and then deal with these “business people” on claiming warranty for an expensive mattress. I almost forgot to mention, it took almost two months to get a response on the warranty, as King Koil and Sleeptronic were passing the ball (responsibility) back and forward until after several phone calls and many angry emails, someone got back at me, again agreeing with the warranty claim on a faulty built/sold mattress.

Hi WillyB,

This is an issue with most of the major manufacturers in the industry today (not just King Koil / Comfort Solutions) who tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses (especially in the comfort layers) which will soften prematurely and lead to the loss of comfort and support much too quickly. The mattress shopping tutorial here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that the people who visit the forum here will need to avoid these types of issues so they can know what to look for and perhaps more importantly … what to avoid.

The name of a manufacturer makes little difference (good or bad) because all manufacturers use both higher and lower quality materials in their mattresses and it’s always important to make sure that you know the quality of the materials in any mattress you are considering so you can make sure that it doesn’t have any weak links and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. Unfortunately foam softening isn’t covered under a warranty unless there are also visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusions, even though the mattress may need to be replaced (see post #174 here).

Your mattress lasted longer than many others who have purchased a major brand and you are fortunate that they approved a warranty replacement because that doesn’t happen in many cases.

Phoenix

Hey Pheonix, just doing some online research and came across this site. You seem pretty helpful and hoping you can offer me some advice (I’ve browsed through a few of the advice posts you have linked here).

A local family owned retailer is having a king-for-queen sale on all King Coil beds (including iMattress) next month and we were thinking of getting one. Seeing what you have said here it might not be the best choice, even at that lower price. If that line of mattresses isn’t that great for our price range (I’d say our mid is $1000, and a king-for-queen makes a big difference around that range it seems) are there any others that this place carries that would be obvious better choices? I’d like to buy from this place as it is close and we just got a twin bed their for our daughter, and the owner seemed very nice. He used to work for HOM, but has had this place for 9 years.

Hi Benstark,

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice in any budget range.

Based on their site it seems that they only sell lower end King Koil mattresses so your odds of finding a mattress that uses good quality materials there are probably relatively low.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label and I certainly wouldn’t consider any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information you need to make an informed choice.

I can’t make any meaningful comments about a mattress without the information listed in this article and it’s unlikely that they would meet the guidelines here but if you can find out and list the specifics of the materials and components inside any of their mattresses you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or help you identify any weak links in the mattress.

I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out this information (see the guidelines here).

Phoenix

Sounds good, thanks for the help, I guess we’ll keep looking! Might try out some of the places you linked to around St. Cloud, since we are near there. I looked at the forum members list and it looks like the closest to us is about 8 hours away in Wisconsin :(.

Hi Benstark,

I’m guessing that the St Cloud list in post #5 here is the list you mean. It includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of within about 40 miles or so of St Cloud. Post #2 here also includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around Minneapolis and may be helpful as well.

Phoenix