I need a mattress, but not sure my thought processes and self evaluation are correct

I have read the articles detailing the salient points of mattress construction and materials etc. I pretty much felt like I knew what type of mattress I needed because of the problems I’ve been having and the type of mattress I’ve been having them with.

However, when I got to the Style, Preference and Statistics article, specifically the Statistical portion, the parameters outlined for someone of my weight, body habitus, etc, didn’t seem to fit what I had perceived as what I needed.

My current body profile and problems are as such:

1. Body weight - 175lbs
  2. I have an athletic type build: wide shoulders, narrow waist.
  3. I have large thighs and as result hips which in my opinion makes me a bit heavier here than normal for a guy.
  4. I have a significantly recessed lumbar curve that could host a Cub Scout Troop #9 outing…a big, big space
  5. B/c of my wide shoulders, I have a large recess as measured from the tip of my shoulder to the base of my neck whenever
    have to sleep on my side b/c my lower back hurts. The result in the morning is a sensation that my shoulders are rounded anteriorly
    and it hurts to attempt to stand up straight. I chuck this up to the fact that the comfort layers of my bed (offbrand tempurpedic)
    lacks what I’m guessing Pheonix would consider resilience.
  6. I also have a deep cervical recess which I finally figured was optimally supported by using a contoured memory foam pillow.

The specs of my bed that has caused said above problems:

Selectabed mattress:
I believe I got the Soft Pedic, later having the top layer removed b/c of sagging and replaced with 5.3lb density foam by Selectabed. I am a bit vague on exactly the densitites of foam etc, but it was 4 layers total, the bottome likely high density polyfoam. As a side note, I think their company is great, Rick is very involved and concerned about customer satisfaction. I think I chose incorrectly with the mattress altogether b/c it was my first mattress and the idea of sleeping on a Tempurpedic like mattress was appealing especially after all the hand me downs I had used in the past.

So what is my question? Well its not so much a question as a plea for help. I know I don’t sleep well. I know where my pain occurs and I know the weakness in my mattress in failing to offer adequate comfort and support based on my body habitus/weight etc. I feel like I need a medium thick to thick comfort layer with a firm support but according to the article this is for someone who is heavier in weight. Although I do seem to fit the parameters for someone with a curvier body profile needing a thicker and softer comfort layer and someone with an uneven weight distribution needing a firmer support layer. Just knowing though that they don’t match up is enough to cause confusion and doubt. I just need some guidance or reassurance bc when I wake up in the morning, I feel like an old man at 42!

Thanks in advance and I apologize if I’m completely off in where I posted this. This is my first time on a forum ever.

ATP

Hi RipVanWinkleWannaBe,

As you can see in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here … I can only speak to the quality and value of a mattress because there are too many variables and unknowns involved for anyone to make specific suggestions based on “theory at a distance”. Each person is unique and many people have needs and preferences that are outside the “norm” and don’t fit “theories”.

The information you read is generic information that can provide insights into different types of mattress designs and construction types which may work best for different types of people but they are not specific to any person and are meant to give you the ability to ask good questions when you talk with mattress manufacturers or retailers. Your own careful and objective personal testing is always the best way to choose a mattress. If this isn’t possible, then more detailed phone conversations with manufacturers or retailers who know all the specifics of the mattresses they make or sell and can give you some insights about what others that may be similar to you tend to prefer “on average” is the next best way to make a good choice.

Theoretical or technical information about comfort choices comes in a poor third to either of these.

It’s always much more effective to connect with experts who have the experience and knowledge to help you make choices that have higher odds of success than it is to try to become an expert yourself by “studying” the very technical information that can be connected to mattress design and theory. They already know what you would otherwise need to take a great deal of time and effort to learn.

Phoenix