I need advice on a new mattress......

We in the market for a new mattress. My wife and I are shopping at all the top retailers, I thought to my self “there has to be better way.” I tend to do research on items I have no clue about, thus not making a bad or overpriced decision. We are looking at a king in the temper-pedic rhapsody breeze and comfortpedic with what ever cooling gel that company uses. So my question is there any options local or within 250 miles that makes a great foam/gel mattress and at a better price then any of the mattresses mentioned above. I’m in Austin,Tx.

Thanks!

Hi thehause81,

The first place I would start (and probably the most important single post on the forum) is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will give you the basic information and guidelines you need to make the best possible decisions.

Once you have gathered some basic information (and I would read but not study it so that you can use it to help you identify the people who have the knowledge and experience you want to deal with) you have some very good options available in Austin. They are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

As like some other people here I was doing research into the icomfort and came across your site. I think I am no convinced, based on your post regarding the range and quality of material used, that I wont be buying that mattress.

A little background, I never purchased mattresses before, when i got married 2 years ago my bro-in-law got mattresses for us (I wasn’t consulted) and now I need to replace them as they are crappy and giving me major back pain and sleepless nights. Initially I have heard raving reviews about the W Hotel bed which is made by simmons (found here) from friends who got the mattress and have it for a few years. I have read some bad things regarding warranty replacement because of sagging and people are saying they changed the materials or the way they make the mattress in the past year or so and its not as good (seems to be softer). At that point I started getting somewhat concerned about innerspring mattresses and the sagging issues that usually come along with them. Which lead me to the icomfort which as mentioned is off now.

So now Im either back with W Hotel mattresses (which I should add I can get with 40% discount code) or… My budget is tight (its all going on a CC) since I need to buy 2 mattresses one queen for me 5’ 8" 220lbs and a twin for my wife 5’ 120lbs (space in the room doesn’t allow her to have a full). Do you have any recommendations for me? I live in Brooklyn, NY. I know you are a big advocate of local manufactures over the big guys but there is something said for a commercial standard. I am concerned about warranty coverage and overall quality of the product.

Love to hear your thoughts and thanks in advance

-Medic

Hi Medic97,

The first place I would start is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will give you the basic information you need to make a good choice … and avoid most of the worse choices such as the two you are mentioning.

I certainly wouldn’t consider this mattress. You can read a bit more here.

The better options and possibilities in and around Brooklyn are listed in post #2 here and there is a more “categorized” and detailed description of many of them in post #7 here.

I don’t know what “commercial standard” you are referring to unless it is the standard that allows them to write the commercials that convince people there is real value in their mattresses when their isn’t. The standards of their hotel beds are no better than their consumer beds and they sell for even more.

Warranty coverage with major brands is mostly meaningless (see post #4 here) and the quality is only as good as the quality of the materials they use which are much lower than many other products.

These are some of the very reasons that I would avoid the major brands (not buy from them) … including the so called “hotel mattresses” they make which are nothing more than a costly label on a mattress that uses the same materials as all their other mattresses. Post #404 here may be worth reading as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response phoenix.

I actually have a wholesale account with White Lotus so that might be a good deal for me. I am having trouble finding any actual reviews or comments on their products. Do you know anyone who owns one that can give me their opinion. Also, my wife is concerned about firmness of not traditional i.e. non-spring mattresses. Having never slept on anything but spring mattresses do you have an advice on how to compare them? We will im sure have to just go down there and try them out but I wanted to come prepared before I do.

Hi Medic97,

No unfortunately I don’t … but I would be very cautious about using the opinions of any others about how a mattress feels or performs. Each person is so unique that it can lead to some poor choices in terms of mattress layering or design if you go by other people perceptions that may be completely different from your own. Feedback about a manufacturer or retailer can be very helpful in terms of their service, policies, or the options they offer but I would pay much more attention to the materials in a mattress and how you personally feel on a similar combination of materials than I would to how any other people who may be very different from you feel on those same materials.

Every type of support component or material can come in anything from much softer to much firmer. The mattresses section of the site and the overviews I linked earlier has much more information about the different materials and components that are used in both support layers and comfort layers. Your own personal testing on the different combinations is the only way to know which you prefer. Firmness and softness isn’t an issue with any of them because each one has a range that can be made as firm or as soft as anyone would need or prefer.

The first step is to read all the information and the overviews that are linked in the post I mentioned in my last reply.

Phoenix