I need help with mattress pad or topper!

Hi,

I have a mattress I bought from IKEA before 2 years, it was very expensive though, anyway I started to feel the springs somehow and it doesn’t look straight to me, I found a zipper by chance :silly: and I opened it and it was a whole encasement that is gone bad, the mattress foam beneath looks good to me and straight, it’s 1" layer foam on springs that’s all.

The encasement layer apparently what gave the mattress firmness and take away the feeling of springs, now I tried to search everywhere online to find a pad or topper that replaces my encasement but I was lost, all of them give softness rather than firmness.

Please guide me to something that I can put on top of my mattress which takes away the springs feeling and gives firmness maybe if possible. Even if it’s a pad then I can buy a separate encasement over it.

I live in Canada for suggestions.

Please help.

Hi nael,

Ikea doesn’t carry any “expensive” mattresses (they are generally in a low to mid budget range) but I’m not clear what you mean by “it was a whole encasement that is gone bad”. Do you mean the mattress cover?

If you could clarify what you mean or better yet attach a picture it would be helpful.

What was the model name of the mattress you purchased?

Phoenix

The photo shows the encasement or mattress cover which I’ve removed and the 9" mattress. The cover layer feels spongy and around 1/2" only but making a difference. I don’t know what should I look for exactly to get similar cover?

The mattress brand is Sultan

Hi nael,

All the Ikea mattresses have “Sultan” in the name. Could you let me know the specific name of the model you have.

Once I know the name of the model then I can look at the specs and have a better frame of reference. I don’t think the issue is your mattress cover and is probably the foam on top of the innersprings but knowing the model will let me look at the specs of your mattress which will probably give a clue about what may be happening.

Phoenix

Is called Sultan Hallen! I hope that’s the model?

Hi nael,

You can see some pictures and comments about the Sultan Hallen in posts #5 and #6 here.

Unfortunately your mattress is a lower budget mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials and components and the most likely reason for the issues you are having is because the lower quality/density polyfoam and the fiber in your mattress that is above the coils have softened and are breaking down. This would lead to soft spots in your mattress and would make it more likely that you will feel the innersprings under the padding. It’s much less likely that your issues are because of the mattress cover.

While a topper can certainly help to soften up a mattress that is in good condition and has no soft spots or sagging in the sleeping surface and just needs some additional softness or pressure relief … it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft or that has developed soft spots or is sagging because a topper will generally just follow any sagging or soft spots in the mattress underneath it. At best a firmer topper may provide a partial or temporary solution and at worst it could make things worse (it could make the top layer you are sleeping on too firm in terms of “comfort” and pressure relief and the layers underneath it may still be too soft to provide good support/alignment under the topper. While they may not be completely effective … there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful.

If you do wish to try a topper to help isolate you from feeling the innersprings then Ikea sells the Tromsdalen latex topper which is a good quality material and some of the sources in post #21 here also sell toppers that can ship across Canada but I would keep your expectations of success reasonable because they may not provide the firmness you are looking for on top of a mattress that is softening and breaking down.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for your time.
One more question, what do you think if I buy a 1.5" memory foam pad where I place it between the top layer and the springs? What do you think the result would be?

Hi nael,

The only way to know how it will feel to you (regardless of how it would feel for someone else with a different body type or sleeping style) will be for you to try it but in very general terms it would probably feel softer and it would probably isolate you more from the “feel” of the innersprings.

I’m not sure whether an additional 1.5" would fit inside your cover.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the help,