I need help

I need help.
I really do.
Lists of mattresses for light people (under 130 pounds) don’t help me at all because “light” can be 125 pounds spread across 5’2" frame or 115 spread across a 5’6 one. Unfortunately for my mattress shopping attempts I am the latter. It’s 6am, I haven’t slept at all and the $2000 “best soft mattress” with a softness of 3/10 feels like I’m sleeping on a wooden board. I don’t sink at all.
What I need in a mattress is probably the softest you can get while still structurally sound and I would be eternally grateful to the person who solves my dilemma. I will literally thank you every day before bed. Any attempt to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Severe lack of sleep

Hi Jaceinwinter.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble finding a comfortable, soft, supportive mattress. What is the current brand of mattress you are sleeping on? What material is in the comfort layer? Are you a side, back, stomach, or combo sleeper?

You’re not the first person in the forum to have this dilemma. You may find this thread interesting as well as this one. I also found this thread and this one. I hope some insights are available in any of these threads.

The softest ILD you can get from latex is 12. For memory foam, the softest is a 10 - 12 IFD. Are there any deal breakers when it comes to your mattress? Any additional must-haves beyond adequate “sinkage?”

Thanks for answering my 20 questions. :slight_smile:
NikkiTMU

Hi NikkiTMU,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. I thought I would get an email when there was a reply but apparently I was mistaken.
I am currently sleeping on an Amerisleep as5.
The comfort layer should be memory foam.
I toss and turn so I’m not sure if that means I’m a combo sleeper.
I did see that I was not the only one with the issue but have not found any solutions throughout the threads.
There shouldn’t be any deal breakers but I would probably prefer less chemical components/off-gassing.
There shouldn’t be any other requirements other than softness.

Thank you!
J

Hi Jaceinwinter.

Good to hear from you again! Thanks for letting me know what you’re currently sleeping on. I looked into it, and I’m wondering if that transition layer isn’t the culprit in your inability to sink into the mattress and find the plush, sinking softness you’re looking for.

I looked into our Trusted Members and found the 3D Matrix by GhostBed which may be worth looking into

Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is available in a plush option that hits around a 2/3 on the “firmness” scale.

While not a Trusted Member on the site, I’ve also heard the Helix Luxe to be a popular, very plush option.

Regardless of which manufacturer or retailer you ultimately select, I’d make sure to have a detailed conversation with your finalists and provide them with your stats, body type, sleeping styles, general preferences and history, some general information about your current mattress, or what you have tested, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress so they can help you choose which may be your best fit from their inventory.

I hope this helps point you in a useful direction!

Hi NikkiTMU,

I’ll look into the ghost bed!

I was previously interested in the Alexander signature hybrid but I have heard that their springs have been changed recently, and they are inferior compared to before, is this change accounted for in the Trusted members status?

I’ve actually tried the Helix luxe and what I received is completely different compared to what was posted on their site, and extremely disappointing in terms of quality.

Unfortunately, most sales associates I’ve been in contact with are not knowledgeable and tend to read from scripts.

Thanks anyway,
J

HI Jaceinwinter.

Because of interruptions to their production line thanks to Covid, Nest Bedding informed us that they had to switch one of their foam layers out for a different foam which is equally durable and have always been used in their mattresses. They are very transparent about any changes they make. I’ve heard nothing about their coil units being swapped out, but even if that were the case, coils are so infrequently the weak link in a mattress that it would be very little cause for concern, and much less so for someone who is quite a light weight.

Our Trusted Members are specially vetted for their transparency and knowledge. They commit to putting your comfort above their bottom line. I think you’d be very pleasantly surprised to have a conversation with any one of them especially in comparison to what you’ve found with brands like Helix.

If you’re unable to find what you’re looking for, it may be worth exploring a DIY. Ken at Arizona Premium sells the components and is truly a master in the DIY field and I know he’d be happy to discuss things with you and help you figure out a configuration.

Update: I bought a Sparrow plush (aka. Alexander hybrid) from Nest bedding. Bed was hard as rock, with significantly more off-gassing than the As5. Still searching. Advice appreciated.

Btw, am currently sleeping on the floor with a mattress topper, and it is softer than both previous beds.

I found the tempur-pedic luxe adapt soft to be very soft . But it might [tweet][/tweet]

I am also lIghtweight, but somewhat higher BMI than you, so understand it can be difficult to find materials that feel soft enough. Since a topper on the floor is working better than some mattresses you’ve tried, maybe a topper, or combination or a couple of soft toppers on almost any inexpensive mattress is worth exploring. I had some success with 15 ILD Talalay latex for a while. Also used a LaNoodle topper from Cozypure over that at times, and a wool topper at other times. The LaNoodle felt great but needed to be massaged or fluffed regularly to maintain its softness. Currently we have the convoluted Talalay latex topper from Flobeds and it is working pretty well, but I’m thinking I’ll want either a very thin memory foam or maybe wool layer over it for more pressure relief. Something else that caught my eye is the shredded latex topper sold by Flobeds. If you need something softer than straight memory foam or plush latex, the shredded, noodled and convoluted foams are one way to get there. Good luck in your search.